matthewgill
matthewgill, Computer Scientist
Experience:  I have a BS in Computer Science, an MS in Integrated Science & Technology, as well as prior military experience.

Hello I have a HPG61 110EA Notebook. I have tried several times

Hello I have a HPG61 110EA Notebook. I have tried several times to factory restore it and it won't let me. What else can I try. I want to give it to my niece who is starting college
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
How are you trying to run the restore?
What happens when you try to run it?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Freddy. I am trying to run the restore through the Recovery Manager. System Restore is greyed out

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok that may not work while logged into windows.
Are you on the computer your trying to do this on now?
The reason I ask is you will lose me in order to follow any steps I give you.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I'm not on the computer at the minute. I'm on my Desktop. Shall I log in with my Notebook?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I just wanted to make sure you would still be able to reply to me.
Start with the notebook completely off but make sure it is plugged in.

Then press the power button to turn it on.
As soon as it starts continuously tap F11 repeatedly until the recovery manager opens.

Once it does you should be able to restore to factory settings.
Make sure to save anything on it before doing this as anything added after the machine was bought will be gone.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.

If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still nothing

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Do you know if anyone removed the recovery partition (we can check if your not sure)?
That would cause the issue your seeing and would mean you need to order recovery discs in order to restore it.
.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Can you please tell me exactly why you left a negative rating rather than replying to me so we could continue?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I'm sorry I had thought you had left me. You weren't typing back to me

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I had replied and was waiting for you to reply to me and still am.....
However it also seems now that if the answer ends up being bad news you will leave a negative rating although I have no control over it.
.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes please if you would check for me. Even though my Notebook has ran out of its warranty now?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
HP warranty lasts a year unless you got an extended warranty which is normally 3.
To check click on start then right click on computer and click on manage.
On the left click on disk management and then look at the middle pane.
Look at the bottom of the middle for (C:) is there anything else in the same line?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I can't see anymore

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Is there something like (D:) or system reserved there at all?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh yes there is

A Recovery File

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
What is the exact name it shows?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

(D:)

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Is there a name as well or only the letter? Please give me the entire line.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know where the problem is Freddy. Goodbye

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry.

(C:) Simple Basic NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) 297.89 GB

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You said you knew where the problem was and then said good bye, what did you think the issue was and what did you try?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had thought that the issue may have been due to settings that I had previously changed but that wasn't the case. I haven't tried anything as of yet

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I am going to opt out and open this to all experts.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you Freddy. My problem with my notebook is a very deep and perplex on I know

Expert:  matthewgill replied 1 year ago.
Hello. my name isXXXXX hope to help you solve this problem. After reading the previous entries, I'd like to direct you to HP's site, where there is information regarding exactly this process. There are multiple ways to fix this problem; hopefully, you will not have to purchase a copy of Windows 7. May I ask if any CDs or DVDs were shipped with the laptop? Also, please review this site: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01867418&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=4079292
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Matthew. No Cds or DVDs were shipped with the laptop.

Could you please exhaust all methods of restoring your system via the website I linked in the previous post? If none of those listed options work, then perhaps a new operating system disc will need to be purchased, and the HP software package will need to be re-downloaded.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was thinking the very same myself. The thing is Matthew the laptop is a good number of years old now so I think it is time to buy a newer up-to-date model

Well, with the exception of hardware failure, old-laptops aren't really bad-laptops; we just need them to do things that they are not as good at anymore. There are free operating systems out there. Linux based operating systems like Ubuntu and CentOS are full-featured, graphical, and allow users to access office and web programs very much like Windows does.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been researching Knoppix operating system. At this stage what have I to lose?

Knoppix is a very good 'Debian' based Linux OS. It is not my favorite, but after a while Linux starts to look and function the same no matter what distribution you install. I would recommend creating and burning a LiveCD or making a LiveUSB (http://www.linuxliveusb.com/) of a few versions of Linux, and see which one you like best. You boot of f the USB or CD, so you don't delete your original Windows 7 OS yet. However, when you decide on a version, it is easy to install right from the disc or USB.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sure I am still going to have fun with this old bird yet

Linux is an awesome thing to get into, and it can turn an old laptop that was slow with Windows into a quick internet browsing laptop. Linux doesn't require as much power as Windows or Mac, so the same old specs look a whole lot better!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to have fun regardless anyway Matthew

Awesome! Well, do you have any more questions that I could assist you with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No that's all for now

Fantastic. It's been a pleasure assisting you. If there is any additional questions that crop up, please do not hesitate. Also, I ask that you leave feedback and a rating regarding this interaction. Thank you so much for your time, and have fun with Linux!
matthewgill, Computer Scientist
Experience: I have a BS in Computer Science, an MS in Integrated Science & Technology, as well as prior military experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am after installing Ubuntu on my laptop. How can I go back to Windows 7 that was on it previously or is it gone from it forever now?

Ubuntu is pretty user friendly. If there is no option at boot, something like 1. Ubuntu, 2. Windows 7, then most likely Windows 7 is gone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had been hoping that I would have had the option of switching between the two but oh well

You can, if it was setup that way; however, if the GRUB loader (the screen that comes up when you boot the computer) doesn't have the option, then it was not setup for dual-booting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there another way I can re-run the setup of Ubuntu so I can include dual-booting?

If I purchase the original recovery disks from HP will they restore my laptop back to Windows 7 for me or am I stuck with Ubuntu now forever?

You aren't stuck with Ubuntu forever, and if you have the required Windows discs then you can dual-boot using this guide: http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-in-perfect-harmony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How can I do that if I have already inserted the iso disk for ibuntu?

My recommendation is that you consider wiping everything, installing windows, and then installing Ubuntu and the GRUB bootloader. In my experience the GRUB bootloader is better suited to dual booting when compared with the way Windows handles it. If something goes wrong you have more options available through GRUB.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I not just wipe everything and reinstall windows like it was before I installed Ubuntu on it?

If you don't want to use Ubuntu, then absolutely. Once you have the discs you can reinstall Windows as it was. I would recommend following HP's procedure though, go through them if possible. Otherwise you may need to download all of the laptop's drivers separately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I think I will purchase them from HP directly

That's the best idea in my opinion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will thet automatically delete all traces of Ubuntu from my laptop?

Yes, just make sure you choose to Customize the installation, and completely format the laptop's hard drive. It is an easy procedure, and will alert you as to when it will remove all data from the laptop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good

Here is a post regarding the install: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/installing-and-reinstalling-windows-7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will this include the all important product key?

The product key should be located on the holographic Windows Sticker on the bottom of the laptop. Do you see it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I don't have it yet. I am only after ordering it a few minutes ago HP's website

I mean, on the laptop you are going to put it on, on the bottom it should have a sticker, near the battery compartment. The serial key is on that sticker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh yes I see that but it is faded on my laptop

HP's install disc shouldn't need a serial number for Windows. If you are using a non-HP disc then you will need a serial key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see the serial key now. I was starting to worry there

I forgot that HP uses a different technology. Provided you are using an HP disc you should be good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I go online to the HP websiteif I am having any trouble putting it on?

Yes, HP support should be able to handle it. If need be, they can verify you own the laptop, and reissue you a key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I do own the laptop so they should be able to reissue me with a key if I need a new one

Yeah, most likely it wont be a problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hope not.

Me too.
matthewgill, Computer Scientist