John, Computer Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE

Windows is only starting in safe mode

Windows is only starting in safe mode
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

John :

Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your PC. I will try my best to help you

John :

Sir do you mean you can only load vista in safe mode from the advanced boot menu or does vista loads automatically to safe mode when you turn on the PC?

Customer:

I can attempt to load vista normally but it never gets all the way even after hours.

John :

OH OK.when did this problem started ?

Customer:

Just from one day to next. Everything was fine and when I went to start it the next day it was just exceptionally slow and could not fully load.

John :

Have you tried system restore option ?

Customer:

I did but it tells me there are no restore points on the computer. Which seemed strange

John :

OK i believe you are using another PC to chat with me am i correct

Customer:

No. I am on the computer in safe mode as it does load in that mode.

John :

Note:-Please bookmark/add to favorites this page, use that bookmark or favourites in case you accidentally close this page during this conversation. You can also get back to this page using the email send by just answer to your email address regarding this question. There is view answer button in the email click on that and you can open this page.

John :

Please try the following

Click on start >>>all programs>>>Accessories>>>Right click on command prompt and click on run as administrator that will open command prompt window (Black window) in that type sfc /scannow (there is a space between sfc and /scannow there is no space between / and scannow) Then press Enter. That will check the operating system file integrity

Customer:

I have done this and it is scanning now. I will advise when complete

John :

OK what was the results before.did it show any windows file corruption after the scan ?

Customer:

Scan is only 45% complete. Still going.

John :

OK what i meant is you mentioned that you have done this before and what was the report it showed after the scan ?

Customer:

I am sorry John. No I have not done this scan before. I have seen no reports at all. Repair just went on & on and reported nothing. There was one message come up that along the lines "Microsoft has recovered from a unspeciifed shut down"

Customer:

& 82% complete now.

John :

OK

John :

Do you have vista installation disc with you?

Customer:

No it was pre-installed. Product code W9P9H-HCBD8-R7FVV-B28G2-VJDJM

John :

No need to share that product key.

John :

I believe you can access your personal files in safe mode?

Customer:

Okay. The scan is complete it reports: Found corrupt files but unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir ..... The system repair changes will take effet after next reboot. Yes I can access personal docs in safe mode

John :

OK Please let me know the system make and model .
After that reboot the PC and see if you can boot to normal mode

Customer:

Compaq Pressario SR5860AN Desktop PC - Is this what you need

John :

OK one moment let me check it

John :

Yes that is the one.now you can restart the PC and see if you can boot to normal mode.Please let me know the status
I believe you know how to get back to this chat page?

Customer:

I have saved into favourites so should be able to get back to you. Hopefully talk soon.

John :

Yes you can also open this chat page using the email from justanswer

John :

i will wait for your reply

Customer:

Hi John, it was quicker on the initial loading but again didn't get fully loaded. I waited quite a while but the main screen didn't completely load - could not get anything to respond. I only hit windows icon but just didn't repond. I shut it down and tried again, but same reult. Shut down again and logged on again in safe mode

John :

It seems some of the windows core system files are still corrupted.In that case the best option is to back up the data you needed to a external hard drive then restore the computer to factory settings using the hidden partition on the hard drive but this process will erase all the data on the hard drive then only it will re-installs windows vista,drivers and applications that came with the PC

John :

Do you have any data that you needed to back up ?

Customer:

Okay John I understand. Yes I do have considerable data. But I do have a spare external hard drive.

John :

you mean you have a external hard drive am i correct

John :

which connects to a usb port

Customer:

Yes John that is correct.

Customer:

Yes John that is correct. I haven't downloaded of the computer before but should be able to manage it.

John :

OK please copy the data you needed to that external hard drive.
I will give you the instructions to do the recovery process (restore to factory settings)once you have copied the data to the external hard drive

John :

Can you please connect the external hard drive now and see if it works on your PC

Customer:

John my iTunes files appear to have been lost as well. So can't transfer them. Is there options? Also sorry, but your extended time with me - is this costing me?

John :

Did you check in your My music folder for the itunes songs?
No extra charges.only the amount you placed when you opened this question

Customer:

Tells me the required files are missing please re-install itunes

John :

OH OK so you mean the installed itunes is not working not the music files am i correct

Customer:

Thanks for your time John

John :

You are welcome sir.Is your itunes files there?

John :

i mean itunes music files

John :

You can always download itunes installation files from the apple site http://www.apple.com/in/itunes/download/

Customer:

That seems right. Although the actual files are not showing.

John :

System file corruption can have caused it.you can remove and re-install to fix that but i dont think sound will work in safe mode

John :

did you check whether the external hard drive works in the system ?

Customer:

Okay John. I will have a fiddle around. Again thank you for your time. I will be able to re-install windows so we can end the session now. cheers david

John :

One moment

Customer:

Okay

John :

Just to make sure i will give you the installation steps

Hp recovery process from recovery partition

1.Restart the PC and press F11 key repeatedly when you see the HP start-up screen that will open Recovery manager
2. Click Advanced Options.
3. Click System recovery, and then click Next.(select the option out of box condition or restore to factory settings)
4.Follow the onscreen instruction.

The entire process will take up to 1hr or more.during the process the system will restart couple of time too also do not interrupt the process

Recovery from Desktop

Select
Start>>All Programs>>Recovery Manager>>Recovery Manager then select restore to factory settings

That will start the process

Note:- The entire process will take up to 1hr or more.during the process the system will restart couple of time too also do not interrupt the process

John :

Is there anything else you like to know?

John :

If you are satisfied with my services/answer please rate positively using the options just below this chat box select the rating and click on submit that will do it. If you feel the need to rate me negatively, please stop and let me know what else you need to know so that I can help you further.Have a Great God Blessed Day.

John, Computer Specialist
Experience: MCP, RHCE