Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.
62669195

Re our two-year-old Toshiba laptop. We use Internet Explorer

Customer Question

Re our two-year-old Toshiba laptop. We use Internet Explorer to connect with the Internet and with our University's homepage (which is also the homepage on our computer). Now, whenever we click on Internet Explorer on the taskbar, the website comes up, then freezes, and we cannot even scroll down to the bottom of the page. Other laptops in our household are configured in the same way, and they are functioning perfectly. So, despite what we read on our Toshiba screen (unb.ca website not responding) we know the problem is not with the website. Now, even cbc.ca (the CBC website), which is our default website for the computer, also freezes when it comes up. In the process of trying to correct all this, we have lost our one means of getting a usable homepage up (we could get the UNB website up through the CBC website in the early stages of this problem).

Any suggestions?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX would like to assist you with your question. I am an expert here on JustAnswer.com in the computer field.

How are you doing today?

I am so sorry to hear you are having issues with Internet Explorer. It is a very touchy browser and from what it sounds like it is 1 of 2 things

1) Malware.

2) Too many startup items on the Toshiba causing it to freeze up.

Let's try a few things that should clear this up. If you get stuck I will be here to assist you in any way I can Smile

This steps will also increase speed of your computer (possibly faster than you purchased it)

First add our chat to your favorites. That way you can easily return after testing or if you get stuck on any step. (You can also return to our chat from the link in your e-mail)

Once you have our chat saved to your favorites

Hold the Windows Key (Looks like a flag on the keyboard) and press r

In the Runbox type msconfig and push enter

Click the Startup Tab

Press Disable ALL

Press Apply

Click on the Services Tab.

Check the box to "Hide Microsoft Items"

Click Disable All once again

Press Apply and OK

Reboot the computer.

After the computer has rebooted :

I would also reset your Internet Explorer to remove any unneeded toolbars that would also cause freeing

To do that

Hold the Windows Key once again and press r

This time in the run box type in inetcpl.cpl then push enter

Click the Advanced Tab at the top

Click Reset

Click Reset again to confirm.

Open Internet Explorer. (Note it may have changed your home page. We'll change it back after running a Malware scan)

Next we want to double check to make sure no Spyware has infected your computer.

In the Internet Explorer address bar type in

http://tinyurl.com/jeremymalwarebytes3 then push enter

If it asks if you want to run or save choose Run

When the setup opens click OK, Next check both I accept boxes and press Next, Press Next 4 more times, then press Install

When the install completes it will open Malwarebytes automatically

Press the Scan button

The scan could take anywhere from 10 minutes up to an hour or more. If it finds any threats press the Show Results button then click the Remove Selected button.

This will reboot your computer and remove any infections you may have on your computer.

Finally let's set your Home Page back to the university's page

To do that

To do that

In the Home Page box type in the university's home page url

Click Apply and OK

Once you re-open Internet Explorer the home page will be back to normal

If you get stuck or have any questions I will be standing by to assist you in any way I can Smile

If you have a moment don't forget to rate my help below (an excellent service rating is most appreciated) Laughing

Also if you need any computer help in the future, you can return to this chat anytime day or night (I am online from 9am est until at least 11pm est every day of the week)

Thanks again for all you patience

Jeremy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Jeremy,

Your advice seems to have worked, and I shall give you the excellent rating if I can get back to that screen (as I'm sure I can). Your directions were very clear, and we did precisely what you advised. This was, of course, only possible because we had another computer up and running at the time (I could not have added our chat to my Favourites, as I could not get your e-mail up on the Toshiba. A very minor thing, as I was able to copy and print your instructions, and I shall keep them (and the e-mail by which your advice came). I appreciate knowing when I may contact you again, should I need further help.

I am wondering if there are things I can do to avoid this happening again. Notably, I wonder whether I should discontinue my practice of deleting my browsing history whenever I sign off.

I should say that the scan revealed NO infected files, which is hardly surprising, given that, before it would shut down last night, the computer ran 73 update files (over nearly two hours), and a couple more when it powered up this morning. I note that we use the Toshiba very little and have not saved files on it, which may also explain why the scan was relatively quick (not more than 10 minutes).

Please comment IF any of this information causes you to think that I should change or introduce any practice.

Many thanks for your help.

Best wishes,

GillXXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
No problem I am so glad those steps helped out. You can use those steps on any computer if Internet Explorer acts up on you.

A reset using the steps above every once in a while is a good thing to do on Internet Explorer.

Also I do recommend running a Malwarebytes scan on any of your Windows based compuers at least once a month just to make sure your system is in tip top shape.

It should let you rate my help below using the smiley faces on this reply if it dissappeared above.

I hope you have a wonderful rest of your week, if I can ever help you in any way I'll be here for you Gillian. It was really nice meeting you. Smile

Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience: Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your second reply. I am sorry that I cannot add a tip, but I am very grateful for your help. I hope your like your work, and that the people whom you deal with are generally pleasant. I am a retired History professor, and I must say I have always had wonderful computer help from the younger people who have advised me. I shall think of you in this way.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
No tip required. Just really glad that your problem is fixed. I enjoy what I do. Here is how you can tip me.

Find A future challenege for me to help you with

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

I hope you have a great night! Thanks for shaping the young minds of today. I know they probably think very highly of you for your years of teaching.

Jeremy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I shall speak well of you to others, and we shall also tell them that dealing with you was much more agreeable than lining up in a big box store or elsewhere, and that it was very nice not to have to leave the machine with a stranger etc etc. If I can provide you with other clients, I shall. And you will hear from me again if I have further problems. Thank you for your kind words about university teaching. I loved it, and still miss all those students very much. Luckily, I am still in touch with a number of them: in a few cases we go back almost 40 years. I'll stop there for now. There is no need to reply, Jeremy. Again, my best wishes. DGT

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Best wishes as well my friend.