DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.
63151004

I have tried every possible ways to get my Symbols LS9100

Customer Question

I have tried every possible ways to get my Symbols LS9100 scanner transmit the data to the PC. I tried both COM port 1 (RS232) and USB converter, it didn't work both ways.

The scanner itself seems to be working fine - one beep when tested.

http://support.epostraders.co.uk/support-files/documents/23/hdS-SymbolLS9100_RefGuide.pdf

https://docs.symbol.com/manuals/4290202a.pdf

https://docs.symbol.com/manuals/1536503c.pdf

I have read and attempted to solve the problem myself. Again, It didn't work. When I enabled LS9100 communication and try to scan random barcodes; four beeps occurred.
Reached the guidebook, saying error in communication.

I am using Windows 7.
My PC is Aopen DE57-HA.
Chipset is successfully installed and all devices are recognised.
I don't have any POS software installed at the moment.

Thank you in advance for your kindly help.

Yours Faithfully,

Patrick
Category: Computer
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 1 year ago.

DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer, the internet's independent site for Q&A consulting. I'm "DrKlahn," and I'd like to help you with this question.

DrKlahn :

Notice / disclosure: JustAnswer is a Q&A service not associated with any equipment or software manufacturer. The "9 second" ad does not mean questions are answered in 9 seconds - it means about 400 questions are answered per hour.

DrKlahn :

Please send me a short message when you're online and ready to begin.

Customer :

Hi

DrKlahn :

Good afternoon from the USA (local time 13:34). Welcome to JustAnswer.

DrKlahn :

The system indicates that you're a new user of our site, so do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have about how things work.

DrKlahn :

Before starting, I would like to confirm that you know that JustAnswer is a Q&A service, and not the official customer support site for your scanner's manufacturer?

Customer :

Thank you

Customer :

I am aware of that statement

Customer :

Thank you

DrKlahn :

Splendid; thank you very much.

DrKlahn :

What software are you using to read from the scanner?

Customer :

I don't have any software installed

DrKlahn :

Aha. Therein lies the problem, I think.

Customer :

there is no software available to download

DrKlahn :

Scanners are not devices like keyboards or mice. They must be read by a program. Otherwise, the data that they send to the PC is thrown away as unsolicited.

DrKlahn :

Normally the scanner is read by the POS application, and most POS packages support all common scanner models. When the POS package is installed, part of the configuration is to select the scanner manufacturer, model, and the port where it is connected.

DrKlahn :

There is an alternative way to get data into Windows applications called a "wedge."

Customer :

No Software Downloads available for this product

DrKlahn :

Yes, that would fit.

DrKlahn :

Are you seeking to use the scanner for POS with a commercial POS package, or with some other application?

Customer :

We could try it

Customer :

I will use solely for the POS

DrKlahn :

Then I recommend getting an evaluation copy of the POS application from the seller. Usually they supply a version that runs for two weeks or 30 days. This will allow you to evaluate both the POS application and how well it works with your scanner.

Customer :

But I don't have the software yet. I believe it should work on the notepad if test

DrKlahn :

Hmm. Perhaps I have not been clear.

DrKlahn :

Let me try again.

Customer :

If we scan any barcode it should appear the number on the notepad.

DrKlahn :

The scanner does not work by itself. It is not a standard Windows input device and Windows has no idea what to do with the data the scanner presents, so it throws the data "on the floor."

Customer :

I see

DrKlahn :

The only way to use the scanner is with a Windows application that is scanner-ready and understands the particular communication protocol used by this particular scanner. Ergo, the only way to test the scanner is by getting the software you intend to use with it.

Customer :

ok

DrKlahn :

If you say that this is pretty dumb on Symbol's part and that there should be a simple test program that checks the scanner is working -- I heartily agree!

Customer :

get me a fews minutes

Customer :

Should I download the demo version and attempt to go from there?

DrKlahn :

Yes; follow the instructions for installing the package, and at some point during the installation you should be offered the opportunity to configure a scanner. The exception would be if the POS package is a ... hmmm ... "pick and choose" type of thing, where you buy only the modules you need and the scanner module is optional.

Customer :

It's downloading

Customer :

Sorry for the time consuming

DrKlahn :

If the POS package doesn't recognize the scanner, then the inexpensive alternative is to buy a scanner such as the EconoScan II or the MS180. Both of these need no support software. They plug into the keyboard port and pass through their data as though it was being typed on the keyboard. These are reasonably inexpensive at about $US 50.

DrKlahn :

(above: link to the Barcodes, Inc. web page selling "wedge" type scanners)

DrKlahn :

No problem with the time at my end. The solution is the thing.

DrKlahn :

Wedge scanners are particularly useful for applications that do not normally need or use scanners, such as Excel spreadsheets.

Customer :

Thank you for your suggestion

Customer :

I don't think the software that I want to use has scanner option available.

DrKlahn :

Then you may need to get a "wedge" type scanner. That will work with any Windows application.

Customer :

In that case, I should give up on this one then.

DrKlahn :

Well ... the LS9100 is a very capable scanner for POS applications, but it is definitely designed for programs that know its capabilities and can use all of them. As a general purpose scanner for programs that don't have scanner support, it is probably not the best choice.

DrKlahn :

In less flowery terms: I'm afraid you're correct.

Customer :

Well, how do we settle this then?

DrKlahn :

There are two ways to proceed from here -- well, three perhaps.

DrKlahn :

1. If the application to be used does not support the LS9100, switch to a wedge scanner instead. Guaranteed to scan into any Windows application. Cost, about $US 50.

DrKlahn :

2. Choose a different POS application, one that supports the LS9100. Cost - depends on how much the software seller charges. More than $50, definitely.

Customer :

I am in the UK

Customer :

How much do I owe you?

DrKlahn :

3. Seek out a software wedge program that can read from the LS9100 and emulate keyboard input into the running Windows program. This will require some research to find out if there is such a program. Cost, probably about $US 100.

Customer :

I better get a new scanner

DrKlahn :

If you want to go with a wedge scanner, I'll be glad to locate a UK vendor for one that is suitable. If you want to go with a software wedge, I'll be glad to see if I can find one. The other option (#2) is going to be specific to what you want in the POS application, so you would need to choose that one.

Customer :

That's ok

Customer :

I'll sort myself out

Customer :

Thank you for your time

DrKlahn :

It's my pleasure, and you're very welcome. The EconoScan II and the MS180, from the web page above, are extremely common and are available worldwide. Given the current £ to $US exchange rate, I would expect both of them to be readily available in the UK for around £40 or so, excepting VAT.

DrKlahn :

Is there anything I've overlooked, or anything that you would like discussed in more detail, or possibly some other question I might be able to help with? Don't hesitate to ask - my time is yours for as long as you need it.

DrKlahn :

I also have instructions for how to save this session to a text file for later reference offline. If that would be useful, please let me know.

Customer :

Thank you very much indeed.

Customer :

I am fully satisfied although a bit disappoint toward the horrible scanner

Customer :

Ultimately, I wish you a really good day then.

DrKlahn :

Well ... it's quite a good scanner, it's just that the interface is not suited for this particular case. If you can't return it to the point of purchase, you should be able to get a good price for it on ebay UK. It's quite a popular unit.

Customer :

I'll do that

DrKlahn :

Would you like to close this question at this time? I don't want to delay you unnecessarily.

Customer :

So, overall the service cost me £35?

DrKlahn :

I don't see what the question price is -- all I see is the question itself. If you think you have not received full value for the price that was offered, I can have your question forwarded to Customer Service, and you can negotiate a lower payment than was originally offered. Shall I do that?

Customer :

Sorry, I don't know what I should do

Customer :

It's my problem really

Customer :

I don't want to this credit you

Customer :

*discredit

Customer :

Thank you

Customer :

I wish you have a really good day

DrKlahn :

Our primary goal is customer satisfaction. I will not resent it if you would like to negotiate a lower payment. Would you like me to forward your question to Customer Service so that you can discuss this with them?

Customer :

That's fine

Customer :

Goodbye

DrKlahn :

Then I will do that. If you have followup questions related to this one, such as what scanner might be appropriate, don't hesitate to return to this session later on and ask them. There is no charge for related followups.

DrKlahn :

I'll forward your question to Customer Service now, and they will be getting in touch with you soon. That will cut our session off, so there's not need to remain in this chat.

DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer, and I wish you a pleasant day.

DrKlahn :
(note 14:11 03-Jul-2013 -- Forward to Customer Service)