Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I have been on a trip with a new Nikon D7100 and had set my

Customer Question

I have been on a trip with a new Nikon D7100 and had set my camera to shoot raw and a basic jpeg. When I tried to open a raw file in Elements 10 a flag comes up to say 'Cannot open DSC0001.NEF because it is the wrong sort of file. This applies to all my raw images. I went back to my camera and could see in shooting menu under 'NEF (RAW) recording' and then under 'type' the 'lossless compressed was turned on. Firstly the most important thing is how can I get Elements 10 to be able to read all my NEF files? Secondly should I turn the camera 'type' onto 'NEF (RAW) 14 bit? Many thanks. Barbara
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Michelle :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.
i am sorry to hear that you are facing this issue, but do not worry, i will try my best in assisting you to diagnose the problem

Michelle :

please download and install the adobe camera raw plugin form below link

Michelle :

please download and install Adobe DNG Converter 7.4

Michelle :

once done the nikon nef files should open up in elements

Michelle :

once you have the file opened you can edit the files and save it in another format on your computer

Michelle :

further you may also refer to below link that has various editing options listed

Michelle :

let me know if you have any questions or face any difficulty

Michelle :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Customer:

I'm still trying this, it doesn't seem to be downloading anything. I clicked on save file but nothing seems to be happening, will try opening a raw file to see if it works. Hold on a flag has just come up saying it has been downloaded so will give it a try. Just tried it and elements is still saying it can't open the raw file.

Michelle :

no

Michelle :

its just downloaded but not installed

Michelle :

you need to install it as well

Customer:

How do i do that ?

Michelle :

please let me know that when you downloaded the file it must have come up with a pop up asking you to save run or open

Michelle :

which option did you click on

Customer:

It didn't come up with anything thats why I thought it hadn't downloaded just a small flag at bottom right hand screen said it had been downloaded. Will try again.

Michelle :

ok..once its downloaded ..double click on that flag

Michelle :

else if you wish i can take a remote access and help you out with this

Michelle :

if you would like me to take a remote access you may click on below link

Michelle :

http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=1b96d9e3-5ef0-4ad3-901b-177a7423bb34

Customer:

I have installed it and elements still can't open the raw files.

Michelle :

have you checked what process version is set in elements

Customer:

No have no idea what it is how do I check this?

Michelle :

in the Camera Raw dialog box, click the Camera Calibration tab. The Process field displays the current Process Version being used.

Michelle :

if you wish i can take a remote access and check the settings for you...

Customer:

ok

Michelle :

click on the link above

Michelle :

is it installing

Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Michelle,

i rated your service as excellent and have done it about 3 times I can't understand why it is not showing at your end as it clearly shows it at this end.

barbara

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
it does show at my end now, thank you for using our service.