J Tech
J Tech, Computer Support
Experience:  Owner of X XXXX Computer Repair

I used to right-click on Desktop and get a menu that

Customer Question

I used to right-click on Desktop and get a menu that allowed me to create a New Folder. Now I do not get that option, but instead it lists Briefcase. How do I retore New Folder option?
Category: Computer
Expert:  J Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello, you could restore the computer to a date before you had this problem. This will not remove any data from the computer but rather just put the setting back to how they were at that date. To do this,

There are two places that you can use the system restore feature from. From within Windows, you can just type restore into the Start menu search box, and you’ll immediately see System Restore at the top of the start menu:

systemrestore.png

Or you can type rstrui into the search box and hit enter. Your choice.

You will immediate see a screen where you can choose to roll back the system to the last restore point. You can select “Recommended restore”, and just click next, or you can choose a different restore point.

If you do choose a different restore point, you will see a list of restore points that you can choose from. How many times have I typed the word choose at this point?

You’ll notice in the screenshot below that the last thing I did was install Virtual CloneDrive to mount ISO images, but right before that I installed the NVIDIA drivers.

Click one of them, and you will have to confirm and then restart your computer to roll the system back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought about this, but restore points are only for last few weeks or for when I first bought the computer over 3 years ago.. I don't want to go that far back

Expert:  J Tech replied 1 year ago.
When you go back essentially it would only change data that was saved in the registry and updates and not any of your files \ programs. What items are you worried about ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for delay. I lost contact when I checked retore options. If I go back to earliest restore point, it says I will have to re-install several programs.

That's why I hesitate to do that.

Expert:  J Tech replied 1 year ago.
Lets look and see what it says in the registry.

Open regedit and go to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New\

and then let me know if the default value is {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

value not set

Expert:  J Tech replied 1 year ago.
Set the value default to

{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}

If you are weary of changing the value you can always make a backup copy of the registry prior to doing so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I just copy and paste this value in the Registry?

Expert:  J Tech replied 1 year ago.
Right click on the Default value, then go to Modify, Then copy and paste the info into the textedit box, then click OK.
Expert:  J Tech replied 1 year ago.
The change should be instant after you save the value. Right click and your new folder shal return
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did not change the right-click menu. It's same as before..

Expert:  J Tech replied 1 year ago.
OK, lets try a restart and see if it helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I may lose this link when I start. How do we get in contact again

Expert:  J Tech replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No change in right-click menu after re-start. Any thing else?

Expert:  J Tech replied 1 year ago.
Can you check the registry again and make sure the value is not blank again but rather what we had entered earlier ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Value is exactly the same as entered before.

Expert:  J Tech replied 1 year ago.
OK one more step to do on top of this one.

Download the following file

http://www.jtechextensions.com/docs/folderfix.zip

Unzip the file and then right click the file and select Merge

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can not download file. I have to go now. No more time to do anything more.

Expert:  J Tech replied 1 year ago.
What is the problem that you are having downloading the file?
Its working fine on this end
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Received message with download.. DO NOT ADD THIS TO RGISTRY. Clicked NO when asked if I wanted to continue without further information from you.

Changes to Registry did not work and I don't want to continue.

This was a 7-day Free Trial. Please cancel and refund any charges made to my Credit Card.

Thanks for trying.