DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.

Im having trouble burning my music CDs in all formats. Have

I'm having trouble burning my music CDs in all formats. Have previously burned a lot of music discs for myself. The problems is occurring in all formats of burning music and at all speeds.
Category: Computer
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 1 year ago.

DrKlahn :

Thanks for using JustAnswer, the internet's independent site for Q&A consulting. I'm "DrKlahn," and I'd like to help you with this question.

DrKlahn :

Notice / disclosure: JustAnswer is a commercial Q&A site not associated with any computer hardware or software manufacturer. The "9 second" banner ad does not mean questions are answered in 9 seconds - it means about 400 questions are answered per hour.

DrKlahn :

Please send me a short message when you're online and ready to begin.

Customer:

ready

DrKlahn :

Thank you. Welcome to JustAnswer.

Customer:

thx

DrKlahn :

I see you're having some issues with burning CDs. Are you burning using a stand-alone music CD burning, or a computer?

Customer:

computer

DrKlahn :

OK, that simplifies things considerably.

DrKlahn :

What is the error, or problem symptom that you're seeing?

Customer:

My burner starts out burning the first several songs perfectly and then the songs start getting completely scrambled not in any particular order.

DrKlahn :

Can the burner produce a data CD correctly, or does the problem persist when burning a data CD?

Customer:

The same problem occurs no matter if I use an audio cd format or a data cd. When it scrambles 1 song the very next song may come out perfect.

DrKlahn :

This could be either a software problem or a burner problem. There are two ways to find out which one it is --

DrKlahn :

1. Burn a CD using a different program and see if it comes out OK.

DrKlahn :

2. Swap the burner for a known working one and see if the problem goes away.

DrKlahn :

It is impossible to speculate on which one it might be, the odds are about even on both sides. It will be necessary to test and investigate to find out which one it is.

Customer:

I'm using windows media player to do the burning. What other options do I have for burning a cd?

DrKlahn :

There are the commercial programs such as Roxio and Ahead Nero, and there are some freeware ones as well. I use Ahead Nero, but some of the freeware ones are reported to be good. Would you like me to locate one you can try?

Customer:

I'll try roxio r ahead nero and that should give me the answer one way or the other. software or hardware.

DrKlahn :

I recommend Ahead Nero if you want to go the commercial route, as we see occasional problems with Roxio replacing some important system files.

Customer:

okay.

DrKlahn :

Possibly a cheaper test is to buy a DVD/CD burner on Newegg. Ahead Nero is going to run $30 to $50 depending on where you buy it, but a new burner is only about $18 (delivered) on Newegg.

DrKlahn :

With a new burner you win both ways -- the problem is localized, and then you also have a spare burner for copying discs.

Customer:

or i could borrow a burner at no cost possibly.

DrKlahn :

Absolutely. It only take a few minutes to dismount a burner from another system.

DrKlahn :

When swapping or adding burners, be sure to check the interface type at the back of the unit. There are two types and you will need to get the one that is compatible with your system -- 40 pin IDE with a 4-pin power connector on the side, or SATA with the two flat black connectors.

Customer:

okay appreciate the help. that should help me identify my problem. I should have thought of doing that to begin with. just frustrated. thx again.

DrKlahn :

My pleasure, and you're very welcome. I have been pulling up some links to freeware CD burners and the Newegg CD section on the side while we have been talking. Would you like to have those links in this session?

Customer:

yes thanks again.

DrKlahn :

Sure. One moment while I cut-and-paste the stuff in --

DrKlahn :

CD and DVD burners on Newegg. Starts at about $18 delivered.

DrKlahn :

Freeware CD burners:

DrKlahn :

There is also one possibility that I consider fairly low probability, but it it still possible.

DrKlahn :

Have you switched CD manufacturers about the time the problem started, or did you start using CDs from a different stack?

Customer:

I started using cds from same manufacturer but a brand new batch. my first batch was memorex cd-rw and this new batch is memorex cd-r's.

DrKlahn :

Ask some friends if they can give you a couple of non-Memorex CD-R media for test purposes. It may be that you have a bad stack -- it happens very rarely, but it can occur. Given the symptoms I don't think it is likely, but it is possible.

DrKlahn :

Is there anything I've overlooked, or anything that you would like discussed in more detail, or possibly some other question I might be able to help with? Don't hesitate to ask - my time is yours for as long as you need it.

DrKlahn :

I also have instructions for how to save this session to a text file for later reference offline. If that would be useful, please let me know.

Customer:

I think you covered about evrything for me. I'm just gonna print this session thanks agan for your help.

DrKlahn :

OK. Did you want instructions for copying the session to a file for printing?

Customer:

sure go ahead.

DrKlahn :

Saving Text from a JustAnswer Session

DrKlahn :

The quickest way to "copy" this session is to Bookmark (Firefox) or Favorite (Internet Explorer) this web page in your browser. You can then return to this page later at any time. While this is not a printable copy, it is quick and easy.

DrKlahn :

If you would like a permanent copy on your own system, continue with the instructions below.

DrKlahn :

These instructions apply to any Windows PC and to most Mac systems. Leave this session open in the browser. On a PC, start Microsoft Word - or if you don't have Word, go to the Accessories menu and start Notepad or Wordpad. This will be your text editor. Then return to this browser session.

DrKlahn :

Click on the scroll bar at the right of the session window, hold the left mouse button down, and pull the slider all the way up to the top. Release the mouse button.

DrKlahn :

Move the mouse pointer to the beginning of the text. Press and hold the left mouse button, then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the window. The scroll bar drags itself down automatically when the mouse touches the bottom of the window. As text is selected for copying, it changes color.

DrKlahn :

When the scroll bar reaches bottom, release the left mouse button. Then press (Windows: CTRL and C / Mac: Apple-key and C) simultaneously. There will be no obvious effect.

DrKlahn :

Now go to the text editor main window, click anywhere within it, and then press (Windows: CTRL and V / Mac: Apple-key and V) simultaneously. The text will paste into the text editor window.

DrKlahn :

I'll be glad to hold while you do this and confirm that you have a good copy. Please let me know when that is complete. If you are unable to copy using these instructions, let me know -- I'll transcribe the session and make it available for download.

DrKlahn :

Full Size Image

DrKlahn :

(above: the text copying process. Click anywhere on the image to see it at full size)

DrKlahn :

If you're having trouble copying the session, don't hesitate to ask me to copy the file for download. It only takes a minute or so.

Customer:

having trouble if u don't mind copying the file.

DrKlahn :

No problem. One moment while I do that and upload it.

DrKlahn :

The transcript can be downloaded the link below:

DrKlahn :

After 60 seconds, the download link will appear as a small, blinking blue link about halfway down the page.

DrKlahn :

Would you like me to hold while you download that and confirm that you have a good copy?

Customer:

yes

DrKlahn :

Sure thing. Let me know when you've confirmed that you have a good copy.

Customer:

okay got it thx.

DrKlahn :

Glad to hear that. Do you have any other questions I might be able to help with today? If not, let me know and I'll bring in the closing information so that I don't delay you unnecessarily.

Customer:

nope i'm good. thx

DrKlahn :

Good. Here's the closing info, then --

DrKlahn :

If anything in this answer is unclear, or if you would like something explained in more detail, do not hesitate to ask.

DrKlahn :

If this answer is unsatisfactory for any reason, do not rate or accept it. A bad rating does not refund your deposit. If you want a refund, ask me - I'll help you get one immediately.

DrKlahn :

Closing a question does not mean support has ended. You can return to this session later and post comments or ask related questions, until the session eventually expires and is archived.

DrKlahn :

If this answer is satisfactory, please close this question using the Rating panel / Accept button. This will credit me for an answer. Thank you for using JustAnswer; it's been my pleasure to serve you today. We'll hope to see you again in the future; between now and then, I wish you a pleasant day and a quick solution to this problem.

DrKlahn :

I'll hold online in case there is a last-minute issue or a problem closing the question. If you encounter a problem during closing, let me know so I can help.

DrKlahn, Hardware Engineer
Experience: BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 1 year ago.
I hope that the issue with the CDs has been resolved. If any problems persist, don't hesitate to follow up in the original session. There is no extra charge.