Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience:  Own/operate computer networking/IT company.

Is there a way to stream music wirelessly from my PC via Bluetooth

Is there a way to stream music wirelessly from my PC via Bluetooth to my Phonak hearing aids which are equipped to receive bluetooth. Bought a bluetooth adapter, but can't figure out how to pair up with the PC. Phonak wants to sell me a gadget for $350, and the BT adapter folks aren't interested in the problem.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X’ll be assisting you today.

First a brief overview of the process: This is a live chat format, so I’ll need to communicate back and forth with you. You’ve already paid a deposit or membership to post your question here. I am an independent tech, and am volunteering my time unpaid until our chat is concluded. At that time I’ll request you click the EXCELLENT smiley face to close out our chat. It is my intention to solve your problem with a quick, honest, and helpful answer and my goal is for a rating of Excellent Service. You may receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Should you feel the need to provide a negative rating of Bad or Poor Service, please wait and let me know what I can do to clarify or more thoroughly answer your question instead. You are rating me personally, not this site or your product and negative rating will not initiate a refund. Please know that not all issues can be fixed online; in those cases of a hardware failure, I’ll troubleshoot and diagnose the problem, and provide a practical recommendation for how to proceed.

My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Let’s get started!

_________________________

p0llinate :

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble,

p0llinate :

you mentioned a BT adapter, can you tell me the make/model of that?

p0llinate :

I'm guessing the one you bought is probably more of an interface adapter meant for use with bluetooth keyboard/mouse or other accessories,

p0llinate :

many bluetooth interfaces, especially the usb based ones, can't actually support bluetooth audio

Customer:

Rocketfish BT Adaptor for 2.1 connectivity. Says it will deliver stereo sound to BT devices.

p0llinate :

Assuming that is the case, you'd be better off returning the BT adapter you have, and buying one instead that is purpose built as an audio transmitter.

p0llinate :

Do you see a model number on the rocketfish?

Customer:

RF-MRBTAD

p0llinate :

Ok, thanks for the info,

Customer:

says it will work with head phones

Customer:

just no way to register the hearing aids to the PC as devices

p0llinate :

this device is designed to do what you are trying to do, but it is not compatible with all devices (which you can read about the pairing issues in many of the reviews), so I would expect that this is either an incompatibility with your aids, or there is a driver conflict and it isn't able to interface with the sound card on your computer properly

p0llinate :

Do you have the mobile com-pilot component with your hearing aids?

Customer:

No, that's the $350 gadget I'm trying to avoid

Customer:

Do you know much about hearing aids?

p0llinate :

I'm not an audiologist, but I've helped several other customers pairing these same phonak aids with cellphones before,

Customer:

good, that's what I was hoping

p0llinate :

however, I've never seen it done before without the com-pilot device successfully,

p0llinate :

which all comes down to a pairing issue.

p0llinate :

The hearing aids won't receive bluetooth or pair directly on their own, they run on a certain frequency and have no interface or other mechanism for pairing out

p0llinate :

the compilot is programmed to interface with the aids without pairing, tuned to a specific frequency

p0llinate :

and the compilot is then paired with the desired BT device, as an intermediary or repeater

Customer:

Is there a cheaper alternative to the com-pilot?

p0llinate :

so the short answer is this would would/should work with the rocketfish, but the compilot would be needed

p0llinate :

Not that I am aware of, it is proprietary. The communication between the aids and the compilot isn't even BT, it is a different frequency, so it doesn't conflict with the BT link between the compilot and the final BT device

p0llinate :

when phonak advertises BT capability, it is sort of hidden in the fine print that the compilot is a required part of the interface

p0llinate :

with the worst part being that while many insurance companies will buy you the hearing aids, they usually won't pay for the adapter

p0llinate :

so it's just an accessory and another way for Phonak to make money

Customer:

Rats. Maybe wireless headphones would cheaper

p0llinate :

In the end, it probably would be, as you can get wireless headphones for $50-100 usually, which would just plug into the headphone jack on the back of the computer

p0llinate :

but they are usually bulky, and may not sound great over top of your aids

p0llinate :

it wouldn't hurt to try contacting your insurance though and see if they would cover the compilot, some will if your doctor will write you a note that you can't hear the tv, phone, etc without it

Customer:

mmmmm any other suggestions?

p0llinate :

Well if you want to go the wireless headphone route, you might look into one of the plantronics branded ones, that goes inside your ear. At higher volumes, it may work better for you alone, without the aids

Customer:

Okay, I'll check it out. Thanks! Over and out.

p0llinate :

you're very welcome, have a great day!

Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience: Own/operate computer networking/IT company.