Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.

Last December I contacted Microsoft for a computer problem

Last December I contacted Microsoft for a computer problem that was handled by OmniTech at a cost of $299 for a year of service. The other day I called Microsoft for a technical problem, thinking I was talking with OmniTech and when they researched the problem I was told they would fix it but would have to charge me $149 for a onetime fix. When I informed them I had a one year service plan they told me they didn’t show that. I told them about the preceding experience and they said that OnmiTech was not Microsoft's technical service, that they were, that OmniTech was a scam outfit. My question is; What tech service is the official Microsoft tech service provider. I noticed numerous services numbers listed under Microsoft support. How did this happen?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Many companies will use the name microsoft support because they provide service for microsoft products however this does not mean they are part of the microsoft company.

Microsoft themselves do provide support plans or one time fixes.

All online tech support websites will say microsoft support and that simply means that they can help you with microsoft products.

I believe this website is the website of teh company you bought the support plan on

As you can see on the bottom of their homepage it says in small writing:
" is an independent service provider of remote tech support. Third party trademarks, brand names, products and services is only referential and Omni Tech Support hereby disclaims any sponsorship, affiliation or endorsement of or by any such third party. "

So to answer your question, many companies can be a microsoft service provider, companies can also become a microsoft partner, you will usually see a graphic that says microsoft gold partner on the website of the support company.

You need to be careful when choosing an online support company because many are very misleading and charge large amounts of money.

For example this website you are speaking to me on is one of the only websites that verifies it's experts. As you can see next to my name it says verified and you can see my computer certifications.

But as far as Microsoft themselves providing direct support plans to users they do not do this. It is just other companies who have the ability to help with microsoft products.

If you need further help or do not understand something please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Chris. After reading your reply everything you pointed out about OmniTech was correct but I'm still wondering how calling the Microsoft number listed under Microsoft when I first entered in the address bar as I did this last time ended up with OmniTech?.

Usually what these companies will do is place paid advertisments that show up on searches and they will make it look like microsoft but it is not.

For example the address may be something like , as you can see at a quick glance it looks like microsofts website but it is not.

This can be misleading but many companies do this practice in order to get business so you alwats need to be very careful.

Probably what you did is enter into a search and then you got an advertisment, here is the real microsoft website and as you can see there is no phone number listed:

You clicked on an advertisment, remember when searching that the first results will always be paid ads. Also always look carefully at the website address to make sure you are in the right place.

If you need further help please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you again Chris. You've been very enlightening.I know this is really isn't a technical issue but I couldn't find any other place to in make the inquiry. Will I be charged the $38 deposit for this?

Yes if you would like me to receive credit for my time spent with you click on a positive rating and at that time you will release the deposit.

Just so you are aware, this website is perfect for a question like you had but aside from being able to speak to verified computer professionals you can also speak to profesionals from any industry such as doctors, lawyers, vets and hundreds more.

If you have any billing related questions please contact the websites customer service department here

I am just a user of the website as you are, the only difference is I have had my credentials verified so I am able to answer questions :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Understand and will give you an excellent rating. Have a good day.

Thank you very much. Have a great day!