Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.

I have an HP 656 Notebook PC which is about two years old but

I have an HP 656 Notebook PC which is about two years old but I just took it out of the box today and started the setup. I thought that I had gone online and installed a Windows 7 operating system. I turned the machine off and went to Staples to purchase a Microsoft 2013 office Home and student system but when I turned on the laptop after returning home I received the message that the boot device was not found and that I had to install an operating system on my hard disk. How can I go about doing that? Please advise
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your question. I am sorry that this problem has happened to you and I can understand how frustrating this kind of problem can be. Can you look under the machine it might even be under the battery in it's compartment. I will need the full model number please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK try doing this restart the computer as soon as you see the HP logo Push F11 and tell me if anything comes up it should be the recovery program.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It says no bootable device-- insert boot disk and press any key

OK you may need to push it a few time. F11 But you need to do this as soon as you see the HP logo. Try that. If that does not respond it means you have another problem. I hope not but this will tell me what it is exactly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it just repeats the message

That's what I was afraid. I'm afraid I have bad news. I am afraid your hard drive may have went bad which is why i's saying no bootable device. The computer says the hard drive is either bad or missing basically. Have you had this computer long?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

18 months

So it's out of warranty. I would say if that F11 Responded and activated the recovery program I would have said windows was corrupt and just needed to recovery the machine however in this case it doesn't look like it. Let me ask you this does it ever say F11 at the bottom of the screen when the computer turns on at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No Press the esc keyfor startup menu

That's not a good thing go ahead and push esc and tell me what options it gives you please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It gives the startup menu F1, F2, F9, F10, F11 Enter continue Startup For more information, please visit

Ok choose F11 and then tell me what happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No bootable device-- insert boot disk and press any key

It still fails to run a recovery program. I am sorry to say your hard drive has failed. It would need to be replaced. There are two things you can do. You can have someone put a hard drive in for you and reload that machine. The other options would be you would need to contact HP have them send you a replacement hard drive with the recovery software and have you install the hard drive yourself and load the disk to reinstall everything that came with that machine originally. If you don't know how to do this you can always have someone do it for you. I am really very sorry I don't like giving bad news but in this case that's what has happened. I'm so very sorry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Frankly, I don't want to spend any more money on this Laptop. I'll look at other options.

Ok, I do understand your frustration and I am so sorry this has happened to you. Please forgive me for having to tell you that horrible information on what that machine is doing. If you need me to I can send you a video on how to replace the hard drive but if you are not wanting to proceed with that machine I can fully understand. If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!

I do want to thank you very kindly for the positive feedback again I only wish I could do even more. Thank you very much for using our site to answer your computer related questions and please let me know at any time if you ever have any other questions. Please try and have a good rest of the evening.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here