Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

How do I retrieve a file I just accidently deleted?

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the experts who will assist you today!

The website you have signed up with is JustAnswer.. We provide live technical support among other things..

I can probably help you recover the file, if you do want to proceed with our service..

If you do want to proceed, I need to know the file you deleted, what type of file was it . ( a picture, a song, an excel or word document )

And also, what did you delete it from. An external hard drive, a windows xp, vista, windows 7 computer, a mac, or a phone?

Thanks,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin:

The file is The Lotus Eaters it is an E file.

I have windows 7 I have the student office program (It sucks!)

I have lap top DELL also not good,

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. Exactly where did you delete the file from?

from your my documents folder.. ? from a flash drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I deleted it from an E folder I don't think the right file comes up in My Documents. For some reason there are extra copies of the same file which are incomplete. I have a memory stick that is why it comes up as E

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ahhh.. When you say an E folder.

Do you mean, it was on a memory stick, and you deleted it from there.. Thats good, that should make recovery a bit quicker Jane.

Again, can you tell me if the file you was deleted, was a picture. a word document, and excel document, ect ect.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hope you are a patient man because I know nothing about computers.

I have a memory stick in my computer for this file. I use word with the installed Microsoft program Office-student. It isn't a picture it is a manuscript with over 100 pages so far, There are hours of editing on it so I have to retrieve it or I will go nuts!

Thanks

Jane

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood Jane..

Hers what we do.. Lets download a free program called recuva

go to this page

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

and on the left, download the free version, from piriform.com

Once downloaded, install the recuva program.. Once installed, run the program.

When it asks, we want to scan your E drive, and do a deep scan, for all files..

This may take about half an hour to an hour, depending how big your flash drive was.

Once complete, you should see all copies of files you have deleted in the last 3-6 months, maybe longer.

Now its just a matter of picking the files that matched your file name, restoring them. And one of those will be your file.

If you get stuck at any point, please send me a reply so that I can assist you further.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your answer was a convoluted mess that was impossible to do. I could not get back to your website to tell you that my question was not answered, the site disconnected. I have had my credit card company dispute your fee of $33.00. I will pay the initial $5.00.

Jane Valentine

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

My answer isnt a convluted mess.. Download a program, scan your E drive with it.

It finds the deleted files.. If you ran into issues performing those steps Jane, I would happily have continue to assist you..

Also, and this may help you in the long run when it comes to credit card companies. Its generally a good practice to ask for a refund from the company that charged you, before going straight to your credit card company.

This company maintains an A+ rating with the BBB. All you needed to do was ask for a refund, or call into customer support and request one, and there wouldnt have been any issue given the situation.

That being said, I will submit the refund request to customer support from my end, Im sorry that things didnt work out for you.

And if you change your mind, and if recovering that file is at all important to you. Then I will be happy to assist you further as needed.. In the meantime my advice is do not save anything else to that flash drive.. The more you save, the less likely you will be able to recover the file.

D.S