Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.
62669195

I dont need a Lawyer right, I need a computer medic. My Dell

I don't need a Lawyer right, I need a computer medic. My Dell 2400 is running very slow can you help?
Hi my name isXXXXX would like to assist you with your question. I am an expert here on JustAnswer.com in the computer field.

How are you doing today?

Dells in general have a TON of startup items that can cause your computer to run very slow. Also Malware/Spyware may be a factor.

If you don't mind I'd love to try a few things with you that should make your Dell as fast as it was when you first got it, if not faster Smile

First add our chat to your favorites. (That way you can easily return after testing, you can also return from the link in your email)

Once you have our chat saved to your favorites

Hold the Windows Key (Looks like a flag on the keyboard) and press r

In the Runbox type msconfig and push enter

Click the Startup Tab

Press Disable ALL

Press Apply

Click on the Services Tab.

Check the box to "Hide Microsoft Items"

Click Disable All once again

Press Apply and OK

It will ask if you want to Restart or Exit without restart. For now choose "Exit without Restart"

(we'll manually reboot after we run a Malwarebytes scan for these above steps to take effect)

Next we want to double check to make sure no Spyware has infected your computer.

Click this link

http://tinyurl.com/jeremymalwarebytes3

If it asks if you want to run or save choose Run

When the setup opens click OK, Next check both I accept boxes and press Next, Press Next 4 more times, then press Install

When the install completes it will open Malwarebytes automatically

Press the Scan button

The scan could take anywhere from 10 minutes up to an hour or more. If it finds any threats press the Show Results button then click the Remove Selected button.

This will reboot your computer and remove any infections you may have on your computer.

If it does not find any threats go ahead and manually shut the compuer down for the msconfig steps above to take effect.

Let's see if that helps out. If you run into any trouble i'll be here to help you in any way I can Smile

If you have a moment don't forget to rate my help below (an excellent service rating is most appreciated) Laughing

Also if you need any computer help in the future, you can return to this chat anytime day or night (I am online from 9am est until at least 11pm est every day of the week)

Thanks again for all you patience

Jeremy

Hi Phillip, just seen your new question, I closed it so it didn't use up one of your questions Laughing

You can simply return to the chat through the link in the JustAnswer replies instead of adding it to your favorites (In your email)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I made all the recommended changes but the computer is still really slow. I would not doubt that I missed a step or procedure.

Phillip did the scan find anything?

If you dont mind I should be online for the next 20 or so minutes I could connect in if you would like

If that's okay

https://secure.join.me/Download.aspx?webdownload=true

Click the above link, A download should begin. If it asks at the bottom if you want to run or save choose Run

This will open the Join.me Application. When it open a 9 digit number will be at the top (should look similar to this format(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Reply to me with the 9 digit number
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
XXXXXXXXX
Can you add spaces after each set of 3 numbers? Justanswer blocks out 9 digit numbers by accident (Our system detects it as a phone number)

Thanks Phillip :)

Jeremy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

596-053-334

Thanks Phillip! Let me know if that helped out any Laughing