Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Hi, my desktop DX420X will not stay in standby, any suggestions?

Customer Question

Hi, my desktop DX420X will not stay in standby, any suggestions? Thanks Reid
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

How long ago did this issue start occuring?

And when it comes out of standby, is there a program thats running or on screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A very long time ago

No program. After I am done for a while I will put it in standby. It will than start and shut its self out many times.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. Lets try the following as a test.
click start, click run

type in msconfig and press enter.

on the very top tab,on the right section, click on the startup tab, then on the bottom click disable all..

then click apply, then click ok.. Now.. restart the computer..

Now, once your booted up, go into standby again.. Does it stay in standby, or does it come out?

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Quick question. After I reboot how do I get back in touch with you?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
. First, lets make sure that you have set a password XXXXX a username or email address for your justanswer account.. At the top right of this page, click account.

Then set a password, set a username.. And once thats set..

at the top right click my questions, and you should see our question Click the title of the question ( or click reply to expert ) and you will be back here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok got it. Now when I hit the disable all I recieved this "An access error was returned while attempting to change a service you may have to log on using an administrator account to make the changes." I am the only user of this computer.

I still hit apply and rebooted. Than I got this message on start up " currently in diagnostic or selective start mode" it is telling me to put it back in normal startup. It will than undo the changes that I made.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok..lets just cancel the message saying to go back to normal mode.

Then, test and see if the computer will stay in standby..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay had to do something. Now when I reboot I get this box Sonic Focus drivers must be loaded before this application to work. I hit the ok responce then I get HP digital imaging monitor.inc disabled. I hit the ok and it starts IE to a page that will not open. I have checked the startup tab and everything I had disabled is now active. This is getting way to complicated. How do I get this computer to get before I messed with it? Thanks

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore..

Click, restore my computer to an earlier pont, then click next..

We want to choose a restore point that was at least one day before the issues started..

Carry out the restore. the computer will restart, then let me know if that fixed the issue or not..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have restored it from 2 days ago. Ok now the icon on my toolbar for norton is showing a red cross. It will not open when I hit. Now what

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Just try restarting the computer once.. ( since the restore completed)

And then see if norton is running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

• This was such a bad idea on my part. I just uninstalled and reinstalled norton. I now have a green check mark in the icon. Now my dragon software will not work. I am going to have to uninstall which will make months and months of training go away. I will have to start all over again. All I wanted to do was fix standby mode. Not create more problems. I am sure you are a great guy and all but, I would not be honest if I said I was happy with this experience. Far from it. What are the procedures I need to do now to end this?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry that things didnt work out so well this time..

Since you want to close this out.. I will send a message to customer support to get them to close and refund this.

D.S