Ansh P.
Ansh P., Computer Systems Analyst
Experience:  Professional computer engineer working as systems developer with top multinational company.
14055801

It appears that the day-month sequence for the early version

It appears that the day-month sequence for the early version of Outlook I use (2003) on my XP desktop machine is reverse from that used by newer Outlook (2007?0 on my W7 laptop ... how can I move Calendar .pst files back and forth and preserve the date integrity?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Ansh P. replied 1 year ago.

Tech Specialist :

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer.com I am Tech Specialist and today, I will be trying my best to solve your issue.

Customer:

ok, thank you

Tech Specialist :

Can you explain the issue please?

Customer:

I work at home on a XP desktop and I use Outlook for Calendar functions. When I go to the cottage and wish to do work there, I export a copy of my calendar file as a .pst file onto a mrmory stick to take with me and then try to import it into my W7 laptop at the cottage. The W7 version of Outlook, which I assume is 2007 or later, says it's not backward compatible with my Outlook 2003 so I can't import it in .pst format. What does appear to semi-wok, however, is that if I export my Calendar fileat home on my XP machine as a comma-separated file, then the W7 machine seems to be able to import it but it appears to be reversing the month-day sequence. Similarly, when I export my Calendar file from my W7 laptop onto a meory stick to bring it home, when I import that file into Outlook 2003 on my XP machine, the month-day sequence is reversed and all the calendar entries end up in the wrong month ... clear?

Tech Specialist :

Yes, thanks. This is a compatibility issue with Outlook 2003 and 2007

Tech Specialist :

Let me check if there is any solutions

Tech Specialist :

What is your email service?

Tech Specialist :

Instead of using outlook calendar, you may switch to some cloud calendar service which should be accessible from both places

Customer:

For e-mail, I use on-board Outlook Express via my e-mail link thru Bell Sympatico ... is that what you're asking?

Tech Specialist :

Yes

Tech Specialist :

thanks

Tech Specialist :

Have you tried saving the calendar as a ICS file?

Customer:

I don't think so, but what does "ICS" stand for?

Tech Specialist :

iCalendar format

Tech Specialist :

Select the calendar range you want to save > click file > Save as

Tech Specialist :

save as ics file

Customer:

No, don't think I've heard of that, but I could try it today since I'm working at home just now, but going to the cottage this evening; so what do I do ... export Calendar file and select ICS as the desired export format? or what?

Tech Specialist :

to open it on another computer > click file > open > Calendar

Tech Specialist :

please read the above procedure

Customer:

back to you shortly ... people arriving to look at my open house for sale

Tech Specialist :

Sure, thanks

Customer:

ok, back now ... may be interrupted again from time to time

Tech Specialist :

ok no problem

Customer:

further to your earlier note, I seemed to have missed the procedure you mention ... would you mind sending again, thanks

Tech Specialist :

11:07 PM

save as ics file

Tech Specialist :

11:08 PM

please read the above procedure

Customer:

sorry, but how do I "select the calendar range" I want? Thx

Tech Specialist :

click on a date, hold the shift key, click on another date, it will select all dates between those two dates

Customer:

Sorry that I'm not very skilled at this, but when I select a start date and then an end date, the Outlook app shows all those days on my screen, but it's not apparent how to invoke the "save as" function ... it's not offered as a choice under "File" tab, for example (it's greyed out)

Tech Specialist :

try carefully, should work

Customer:

I just noticed that the app won't allow me to select a date range greater than 2 weeks, so I must be doing the "selecting" wrong? Can you give me an e-mail address and I can send you a screen shot capture of what I'm looking at in Outlook

Tech Specialist :

yes

Tech Specialist :

First switch calendar to month view

Customer:

ok, then what ... sorry, but I may need step-by-step instruction, thx

Tech Specialist :

once done click on 1st of the month date

Tech Specialist :

now hold the shift key and while holding it press 30th of the same month

Customer:

ok, done, then what?

Tech Specialist :

click file >save as

Customer:

"save as" is greyed out and not selectable ... only "save as Web page" is offered

Tech Specialist :

Are you using 2003 version now?

Customer:

2002 SP3

Tech Specialist :

Oh no, but in your original question you told you use 2003 in home

Customer:

my mistake, and my sincere apology if that has sent you down the wrong path

Tech Specialist :

2002 is a very old software and that is causing the issue

Tech Specialist :

I don't think 2002 and 2007 can be compatible with each other

Tech Specialist :

You have to use some other calendar instead which can be shared online

Customer:

When I bought my new laptop with W7, I also purchased Microsoft Office for it, which I assum is 2007 or later, and I got a 3-machine license. so if you think it would clear up this type of problem, perhaps I should upgrade my office suite to 2007 ... or MUST yopu have W7 to support it?

Tech Specialist :

Not at all.

Tech Specialist :

That's the best idea

Tech Specialist :

It will perfectly work with XP

Tech Specialist :

If you use same outlook in both computer's that will be awesome

Customer:

ok, then rather than continuing to struggle with this old software on my old XP desktop, I'd better consider doing that sooner rather than later. So I'll say thanks to you for trying to help me

Ansh P., Computer Systems Analyst
Experience: Professional computer engineer working as systems developer with top multinational company.