John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ Years in the computer industry

I have a mac mini and openoffice is driving up the wall. Is

I have a mac mini and openoffice is driving up the wall. Is there a microsoft word program that will run well on my mac mini and easily convert my existing files
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, Jane.

If your existing files are in Word format (.doc or .docx) then you should have no problem. Since you are running the latest release of OS X then you should be able to run the latest release of Word/Office, as well.

Office For Mac: Home & Student includes Word, Powerpoint and Excel and is around $100 through Amazon currently:

It can be ordered on disc or download for the same price.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my files are in odt and not .doc. or .docx

Okay in that case you would need to open the documents in Open Office and do a File > Save As word document.

Alternatively, you could use a document conversion utility, such as the following (available in a free version which I believe will handle your situation):

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a certain version of Home and Student that is the best for the mac mini. Also any that will run on a mac will also run on a mac mini?

Given that your Mac mini is capable of running the latest version of OS X then it should handle the most current version of Home and Student that I linked to just fine. The only qualifier, of course, is that if you own a model of Mac mini without an optical drive then you should buy the download version of the software.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I checked the "Save as' and it listed 3 choices to turn my files into.doc.

Microsoft 97/2000/xp or 95 or 6.0. Does it matter which one of these I choose in "Save as". How do I know if I have an optical drive? I do have the additional gizmo that takes cds

Microsoft 97/2000/xp would be the best bet for you, I think.

If you have the external Superdrive that takes CD's then that is your optical drive. :-)