Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Just returned from several weeks in China. About 5000 hi/res

Just returned from several weeks in China. About 5000 hi/res images in total. Have used Picasa/web albums for years with no problems. This time I broke into five sections (about 250 images each) and a summary which would have contained about 1500 in summary. Bad move. By the time I realized what I did, the folder was so large that it wouldn't allow it to load so that I could delete it. I don't want to keep this file; can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

So I can best assist you, I need you to clarify for me some things if you could.

Did you load these pictures into a folder on picasa?

Or did you upload then to picasa web albums online?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

loaded onto picasa folder. yes, always

then uploaded up to web albums

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
What happens when you go to the webalbums page online, and try to delete the folder you dont want as follows?

1. From the My Photos page, click the album you'd like to delete.
  2. Click Actions > Delete album.
  3. Click OK to confirm and delete

( do you get an error, if so.. What error do you get ? )

And on the picasa program inside of windows, you should be able to delete as follows.

Right-click (Windows) the folder you wish to delete in Picasa and select Delete Folder. Click the Yes button in the confirmation window.

*note** you have to delete it from both places.. Web albums first, picasa program on the computer second.

For a short while after you delete from both web albums and Picasa program itself, you may still see the thumbnails and references to the pictures on picasa web albums.. This will go away as soon as the server refreshes.

If your getting errors performing either of these steps, please be as specific as you can and let me know what they are so I can assist you.

You can send me a reply at any time, by logging into justanswer.com , clicking my questions at the top right, and then clicking the green button for reply to expert.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the only error message in this situation is "google.com is not responding due to a long-running script --- stop script. I can't comply! This is a one-time problem; I just want to remove the web album, not the original picasa folder. Nothing fancy. We could be playing tag for another hour to solve what I see as a simple problem. Maybe it isn't, but a phone call might help; can you do that?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, the company hasnt completely finished the phone consulatation feature as of yet.

what your describing though, sounds like your browser is hung in a file upload.

Try this. Shut down your computer.

Start it, then log in , and log out, and then log back into picasa web albums.

You should then be able to delete the albums, just from the web albums using the steps I sent ( the normal online album deletion steps )

You shouldnt get the google not responding error..

As far as playing tag, im not sure if you were having issues reading or replying to my messages, there seemed to be a temporary site error for about 45 minutes.

If yuo have any further questions, please let me know.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Destin - This has been an ongoing issue since I originally loaded this images into picasa more than a month ago. In the past, I've never loaded more than 400 images into a single file. The other five albums (which contain various selections from the larger file) have posed no problems in viewing, either at my location or those of friends in different parts of the country. The outcome is always the same. So, apparently, I've already tried the steps you have suggested. I'm at my wit's end. Do you or your fellow experts have any other ideas? Gil

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gil..

If the issue has been happening that long.. It sounds as if the account is stuck.

As a test, are you able to open the web album at all? could you delete one individual photo, if you tried?

Also, on your picasa program.. One of the reasons you may not be able to delete the album from the web album interface

we should turn off Sync to web and any and all sync services inside the picasa program itself, on your computer.

Since the account is currently froze and wont allow deletion online, its probably due to the sync to web feature being on, combined with the original folder getting corrupted on the picasa server.

let me know if any of this helps, and also, if it doesnt. Let me know if you were able to delete a single photo, after you disabled sync to web

Dustin S.
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin - First and foremost, the troublesome album has disappeared! I may be a great photographer, but I am a lousy IT guy. More than 60 albums, 500 folders and 35000 images stored in Picasa, but I have a very limited understanding of what goes on under the hood. Most of my 35mm images are based on Nikon technology ( from a model I marked made in occupied Japan) to my latest 5100. Also quite a few Rolleiflex and 4x5 Linhof images from the 1950's. You can probably sense my level of frustration at this point. I have no idea what sync to web, etc., means, or how to undo anything. Since the entire album was frozen and unreachable, I was unable to get into any image to delete. I let it sit all night, and it finally finished loading. This morning, I got into the delete routine and cleared it out. Thanks for your efforts. Gil