Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 8 and an Intel Core

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 8 and an Intel Core i7. I am trying to get Windows Mobile Device Center so I can communicate with my Trimble TSC3 Data Collector. When I try to download the program an error message appears: "This installation package is not supported by this processor type". I don't even know what this means. I thought, the better the processor the fewer problems. Is there anyway to get Windows Mobile Device Center on my computer, or am I reduced to manually copying each file over from my Trimble to a thumb drive?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is Freddy. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Unfortunately that error means the i7 processor is not compatible with that installer.
Where did you download it from?
Also the better the processor does not necessarily mean it is compatible with more application, only that it runs faster than most others.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried downloading it from Microsoft.com. I don't really care if it is Mobile Device Center. That is the program that my co-workers use, but their computers are different from mine. I just need a program that will make it easy for me to directly transfer files from my Trimble TSC3 Data Collector (which uses Windows Embedded handheld) to my computer.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
According to Trimble unfortunately this device is only compatible up to windows 7 and not on windows 8.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know at least one of co-workers had Windows 8. I know he upgraded from Windows 7, but then again, so did I. Is it because he already had Mobile Device Center when he upgraded? Something is not adding up. Am I going to have to downgrade to 7 and lose all the apps and programs I have that are designed specifically for Windows 8 in order to get my computer to communicate with my Trimble? Mostly I am worried about losing money I have invested in Windows 8 (i.e. my Microsoft Office suite for Windows 8). If I were to downgrade, would this program revert to something Windows 7 would recognize?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Can you check with the Co-Worker and see if they are using an AMD processor instead of an Intel one? Have you tried installing in windows 7 or windows xp compatibility mode?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tell me more about these compatibility modes. Where would I find them?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Save the installer to your desktop, then right click on it and click on properties. There will be a tab that says compatibility click on that. Then click on "Run in compatibility mode for" so that it is checked. In the drop down try windows 7 first, and if that does not work try windows xp.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The installer for...?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
The mobile device center, or this: Click Here
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I saved the installer to my desktop as a "shortcut", there were no other "save" options. When I clicked on properties there was no compatibility tab. Where did I go wrong?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
A shortcut will not work...download it in chrome but do not run it save it instead.
Then click the small arrow next to it in chromes download and click on open file location.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I click download, it sends it to my download folder. When I right click on it there is no option for save. When I left click it attempts to install.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You can do this from the download folder.
Open that folder and there right click on the installer.
.