Cris
Cris, Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years of IT experience in both business and residential.
10156100

I cannot open any programs on my Windows 7 desktop. I get the

Customer Question

I cannot open any programs on my Windows 7 desktop. I get the little circle that just goes round and then eventually stops. Can you help me?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX will be glad to assist you.

Save this page to your bookmarks so you can easily get back.

Restart your PC and as soon as you see the PC logo (Acer, Dell, HP, etc..) start tapping the F8 key repeatedly . That will bring up advanced options screen, using the keyboard arrows scroll down to Safe Mode then hit enter.

Once you reach the desktop, click on the windows logo start button and type in system restore then hit enter. The restore wizard will appear, this will not affect any data. Just a simple way to undo any system changes.

Follow the prompts and select a date to before the issue started happening on your PC. Finish the wizard and your PC will reboot normally, then log in and test out the problem.

Let me know the outcome. Reply back to me BEFORE selecting any negative rating. I will answer your follow ups.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, I restored to may 28th, rebooted, but it did not fix the problem . so I tried to restore to an earlier date, may 16, but got message SAYING it did not complete successfully. Details: the restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore. should I try again ? I had chosen the earliest date listed this last time so I wouldn't know how to find an earlier one! Thanks

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
There wouldn't be any earlier restore points then what is listed.

Can you tell me what happens when you try and open a program does anything come up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I click on an icon like Firefox or quicken or chrome, the little circle come on for a few seconds, then it just disappears and nothing opens.

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Please try the following:

Click on the windows start button, in the search box type in MSCONFIG and hit enter.

The system config box will appear, click on the "Startup" tab. Remove all the check marks except for your antivirus if listed. Then click OK and restart your PC after the restart test out the issue.

Please let me know the outcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yea! Its working. Do I need to do anything else?

Thank

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Excellent!

No, what you did was disable startup items. These are processes that boot up in the background and cause conflict with certain programs. They do not need to startup when your PC boots only the antivirus software. Everything else can be started on demand.
Cris, Support Specialist
Experience: 6 years of IT experience in both business and residential.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great, thanks again for your help!. I will give you an excellent rating.

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Anytime!

You are very welcome.

Please save my direct profile to your bookmarks. If in the future you have any further issues/questions you can reach me directly.

www.ITCrisAnswers.com