Pete, Computer Engineer
Experience:  CISCO certified, Microsoft proficient, computing expert.

Not a Mac, but I have the exact same issue as the customer

Not a Mac, but I have the exact same issue as the customer posted here: -My itunes music library has developed a skip or hiccup when playing back selections.-

You answered with this:
-Dan - Master Tech :
Greetings, does this occur in all music played? Can you list the statistics for your computer (Model number, CPU speed, amount of RAM, etc.)? Did the problem coincide with any specific event such as an OS update or program installation? Dan-

Nothing follows, so here is my non-Mac information:
*Windows XP
*HP Pavilion A510N, Model DW232A-ABA A510N
*X86-based PC
*1,536.00 MB available physical memory
*325.27 MB total physical memory
*2GB available virtual memory
*1.96 GB available virtual memory
*AMD Athlon XP 3000+
*2.10 GHz, 1.43 GB of RAM

The problem crops up whenever I open an Internet browser while playing iTunes or a similar application. The audio stutters and hiccups, and is generally unlistenable.
Can you help?
Welcome to JustAnswer!
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

The problem you are experiencing can occur if the processor is trying to run too many tasks at once.
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to launch the Task Manager in Windows XP.
Here, you can click on the Performance tab to see how well your processor is running.
If it is running near 100% then you will need to close down some other programs or processes.
Perhaps there are some applications running in the background that you could temporarily stop to allow iTunes to play more smoothly again, e.g. Skype, Antivirus software, etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I keep the Task Manager open all the time and refer to it frequently. Are there any applications that are particularly more significant than others?

I believe my McAfee antivirus program uses the most memory, but wouldn't turning it off compromise my computer?

The best results occur when closing my browser, but that is not normally desirable.

Hi Stewart,
You can sort the processes in Task Manager to see which ones are consuming most of your processor's power, and close those if not necessary.
Turning off your antivirus will leave you vulnerable to virus infection if you download any suspicious content or connect compromised devices to your computer. If you are just running iTunes and visiting trusted websites, then temporarily turning off the antivirus protection may be judged an acceptable risk to improve iTunes playback.
If you find that your browser is slowing things down, perhaps you are using Internet Explorer, one of the slower browsers. Try using a different browser, e.g. Firefox or Chrome, and see if that helps improve the performance.