Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.

Got a phone call from a "windows" tech. He said my computer

Got a phone call from a "windows" tech. He said my computer has been hacked! Wanted to help me, sent me to a few places on my computer and then said they could fix the problem, but for money! How should I confirm who he is or if I've really been hacked?

Hello Judith! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. This is a scam. No support company or Microsoft would ever call you for any computer support (you would call them first.) This is usually a scam in order to get your money and/or to get your information on your computer. Microsoft has written an article about this kind of scam:

Please let me know if you have any further question. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer! I don't want to pay for monthly service! Will they try to charge me?

You're welcome. Don't worry, you do not need the optional monthly service. If you had provided your credit card, etc. to the "windows" tech/scammer, then I suggest to call your credit card company and cancel/deny the charge. Please go careful with phone scams and email scams.

If you need anything else or other computer issue in the future, please let me know any time. Also, can you please rate my service by clicking on the smiley face below, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much