Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I recently purchased a BYTECC BT-300 USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter

I recently purchased a BYTECC BT-300 USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter Kit to restore some documents on a hard drive of mine that crashed. I am not able to recognize the device on my computer. Can you help me determine if I am doing something wrong?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Is windows recognizing the drive at all? Do you see any indication of this?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it is not recognizing it at all

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you can only plug it one way, so if the cable is plugged into the Disk, and the USB into the computer, it is ok.

Do you have another computer to test on so we can easily rule out the computer or the disk as the issue Tammy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is the second computer I've tried it on. The first one was my work computer with a pretty hefty firewall and needing permissions to install anything. I had our local IT person helping with it and it wasn't recognized there either. Local IT person said that sometimes he just had to try and try and try again in order for it to work - that it didn't always work right away. I moved to my home computer to see if it was the permissions issue and now am getting the same result. Should I just keep trying?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, that wont help, if it works, it works the first time.

Can you do the following please.

Click Start, Run, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.

Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.

Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Then click Disable All

Click ok, restart and let me know if it then detects it please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok - be back in a few!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, i did all that and plugged back into port - still doesn't recognize

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,

Then it is either the Hard disk or cable that is faulting.

It is not going to be the computer, it would now work, and it would have worked on the other computer at work.

To find out if it is the cable, you are going to need to try to connect another Hard Drive to it, which will then confirm this.

Are you able to do this Tammy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well - Is it safe to pull a hard drive out of a working laptop? I do have a friends here but I don't want to mess it up for her

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is safe Tammy, as long as you remove it carefully.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, give me a couple of minutes and i'll try that - just plug in and if it recognizes the drive, then it's my hard drive that is forever gone? :(

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is sorry Tammy :(

But lets see the results first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, i'm not understanding on this other laptop how to remove the hard drive? :( It is an HP. If I do find it, do I have to first remove the battery before removing the hard drive?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, you do not need to remove the battery.

Not all Laptops can have the battery removed easily, some require dissembling...

Is there not a harddrive from a desktop computer you can use?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

checking with my hubby - i think we have a backup hard drive here somewhere - be back in a bit

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sounds like the only option is the other laptop do you know where the hard drive may be on this thing?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
What is the model number of it Tammy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, it's a Pavilion g6 - does that tell you what you need?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

The initial steps bloe on my link tell you how to Tammy

Click Me

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the screws will not come out of this laptop to take the cover off. I'll have to wait until I can find a hard drive when I am in the office or something - I don't want to mess up this laptop

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but it is going to either be the Hard Drive or the Cable Tammy, once you know this you will know which one to replace.

If it is the hard drive, then I am sorry but the data will be lost on it. The cable will have a warranty, so if it is the cable, then this can be replaced.

I have marked this question to never close, so you can at any time return here and post a message if you have any difficulties at all.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have one more quick question for right now - the steps you had me do to this computer - i think it disabled my virus protection - do I need to go back in and enable something?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It would not have disabled it (we avoided that) but you can do the following to re-enable the programs ans services (though it is best practice to leave them disabled, as they start only when you need them, hence allowing your computer to run faster).

But to re-enable them,

Click on the Startup Tab and click Enable All.

Click on the Services Tab and click Enable All

Click ok, restart and it will be as it was.

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Thank you

Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry