Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

good morning!! I have an older HP Pavilion a730n. yesterday

good morning!! I have an older HP Pavilion a730n. yesterday the CPU fan started to run at full RPMs and stays at that speed, the computer also runs much slower. can you please help me with this thank you Mike
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Is the computer working at the moment (usable)? and which version of windows are you running?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes its running, with windows xp home edition

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks Mike,

I want to ensure there is no rouge process that is causing the computer to act like this.

Click Start, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.

Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.

Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Then click Disable All

Click ok, restart and let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok brb

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry took so long computer is slow , what you told me to do did not work :(

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you do the following please Mike.

Click Start, Run, type in CMD and press enter.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /f

Press enter.

It will complain the Volume is in use and to run on restart. Say YES and restart the computer

Than tell me if it is operating normally please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry did not work richie

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ca n you start the computer and keep tapping F8 until you see a menu

Choose Safe Mode

Tell me how the computer operates in this mode please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the starts as soon as the tower receives power richie, even in safe mode, i dont know what controls the fan speed but maybe the fan fas gone bad, if i unplug it while its running the fan stops

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its not the Fan, its either the processor or motherboard that is faulting.

Either the processor is over heating which causes the fan to speed up, it the Motherboard is malfunctioning, causing the Fan to run at maximum speed.

You are going to need to take it in to get a hardware diagnostics done on it to confirm which is failing, and have this replaced, but one of these components are going to be the problem.

We rule out any cause of this due to processors, services or data corruption.

I would also advise to not turn it on anymore to avoid any further potential damaged, until you get the faulting component replaced.

Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry