Carl L
Carl L, IT Specialist
Experience:  14+ Years of Extensive Computer Repair Experience.
27991594

My HP Home Server 495 is not booting anymore and doesnt react

My HP Home Server 495 is not booting anymore and doesn't react to the recovery CD or the Software Installation Disc either (get error message that step 3 of 4 failed for the recovery disk and for the Software installation that the Server cannot be found). Get 2 solid aqua white and a solid red light now (after having gone through various alterations of blinking aqua white and red (two times quickly aqua white followed by 3 times long red blinking). As per HP home page this means 'BIOS corrupted' and I should contact support. Am out of warranty though. Have removed the SATA drives and see the data on there, but just cannot access the Server itself.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you today.

If you have a corrupted Bios, nothing would show up on the screen. The only way to correct this problem is to either replace the Bios Chip on the Motherboard or use a floppy disk to blindly reflash it. You would need to get the Binary File from HP and copy it to a floppy. You'll need a Floppy Drive attached using a Ribbon Cable.

If you can't get a replacement Bios Chip or Binary Flasher, replacing the Motherboard will be your last option. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

XXXXX XXXXXndsey

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Carl,

How would I go about replacing the motherboard of the server? Never fiddled with that (so sorry if that is a stupid question).

Thanks,
Freddi

If you take the side case off, the Motherboard is held in by a few screws. You'll need to disconnect everything from it such as the Power Supply, Hard Drive(s), Disk Drive(s), etc. Cables. Once you remove the board, just reverse it and install the new replacement. Be sure that it's the exact same Motherboard or you'll get a BSOD 7B Error for incorrect Sata Drivers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! Will give it a go!

You're very welcome Freddi and good luck!

Best Regards,

XXXXX XXXXXndsey