Cris
Cris, Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years of IT experience in both business and residential.

I have a Gateway ZX6970 that will not power up. I ordered a

I have a Gateway ZX6970 that will not power up. I ordered a new ac adapter and it just arrived, but when I plug it in, it beeps and I still have no power to the computer. Is there a battery of some kind in this ac adapter??
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com I am Cris. Very sorry to hear about your issue.

When your PC beeps that means there is a problem with the hardware on your computer. The number of beeps can refer to what exactly the hardware failure is.

Can you tell me how many times the PC beeps when you turn it on? 3, 4, 5, 6?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's not the computer that's beeping...the computer is completely dead. It's the ac adapter that's beeping.

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
How many times does it beep?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As soon as I plug it into the back of the computer, it starts beeping at a rate of about once per second, and it continues indefinitely until I unplug it.

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
Continuous beeping is usually caused by undetected memory (RAM) modules. You will need to open the desktop and locate the RAM sticks. Then reseat them, if the memory sticks are still good then your PC should start working.

If not they will need to be replaced. If your not comfortable with opening your PC then I recommend having a tech or taking it to a local shop.

Please let me know if you have any further questions BEFORE selecting a negative rating. I will answer your follow ups.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What you're describing is a function of the computer itself...I believe this to be a power problem. This is an all-in-one computer, so I'm not that familiar with these. The AC Adapter is a LITEON Model PA-1131-07 that's the size of a brick...much like a laptop. That's what's doing the beeping and I'm wondering if there's a battery in this thing or if it's just strictly a transformer.

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
When you purchased a new adapter did you get the entire power adapter or just the plug which connects into the brick?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got the whole thing, a new adapter and a new power cord.

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
OK,

I just checked the site and continuous beeps can be Memory, Power Supply or Motherboard.

Since the beeps are coming from the brick as you say. It appears to be a issue most likely from the power supply on your desktop.

Did your desktop recently take a power hit? How long have you had the desktop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've had the computer for maybe 7 months or so. I live in a very rural area, so the power trips off fairly often. This computer has always been plugged into a UPC for that very reason, but I suppose it still could happen that the UPC didn't do it's job.

Expert:  Cris replied 1 year ago.
The UPC helps to prevent from a power hit directly to the machine but it can still at sometimes still take a hit.

Your desktop should still be under warranty provided by Gateway. Call Gateway Support explain the issue. They will then setup a repair service for you at no cost.

866-539-3901

If you have any further questions please let me know BEFORE selecting any negative rating. I will be glad to answer your follow ups.
Cris, Support Specialist
Experience: 6 years of IT experience in both business and residential.