Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I received a call from "Microsoft windows service center",

I received a call from "Microsoft windows service center", phone XXX-XXX-XXXX, re: expired windows XP certificate, wanting to upgrade for a fee. Is this legitimate?
Hi, I will assist.

No, it is not legitimate. No support company or Microsoft would ever call you for any computer support (you would call them first if you need computer help.) This is a scam in order to get your money. Microsoft has written an article about phone scams:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

Please let me know if you have any further question. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It all appeared legit until my bank denied payment. I closed the computer, now it requests a password XXXXX a different screen. I don't know how to get to my windows password XXXXX I had opened teamviewer. What risks have I opened? Norton 360 is up to date.

How do I proceed to restore the computer? I am writing from a different laptop.

I'm sorry, the hacker changed/set your computer password. What's the brand/model of your computer? Does it have windows xp?

Can you go to Safe mode (press key F8 after turning on the computer), does it let you log in any windows account there?

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is windows XP. F8 doesn't do anything

Please try this: turn off your computer. Then turn it on, and right after the black screen with white text or the computer company logo disappears, press & release key F8 repeatedly until a menu appears, then you select Safe Mode (note: if there is no menu, then try the same steps again, but this time, press key F8 a bit earlier). Does that let you go to safe mode?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. "Start windows normally" is highlighted. Do I scroll up to "safe mode" - 3 choices?

Please use the arrow keys to select safe mode only (the first option), then press Enter key, then let me know the windows account(s) it shows you in a bit. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

windows XP media center edition

microsoft windows recovery console

for troubleshooting & advanced startup options for windows, press F8

Select windows media xp... Did you select Safe mode, then press the Enter key? Don't select Safe mode with Networking or Safe mode with command prompt. If needed, press F8, then select the safe mode option. Thank you

Select windows XP media center edition. thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did select "Safe mode" only. This is the only information that comes up. I tried it 3 times

You said ""Start windows normally" is highlighted. Do I scroll up to "safe mode" - 3 choices?" That means you see safe mode?

Select windows XP media center edition, then what happens? Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I am in safe mode, highlighted in blue at bottom.

Will the info you want show if I select Windows XP Media Center Edition,that is the HP version computer I have

OK, select windows XP media center edition, then press Enter key, then let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got the Windows XP Startup Password XXXXX I don't know that password.

At top:"Microsoft (R) Windows XP (R) (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.130307-0422;SERVICE PACK3)

Does it show only one account / name? Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It ia not showing accounts. I am the only user of the computer. At startup screen

So it shows only one user/account like below?

graphic

You do not see multiple users or an Administrator account?
graphic

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, neither is the screen. There is a small Windows XP Startup Password XXXXX (This computer is configured to require a password XXXXX order to start up. Please enter the Startup Passowrd below) running on the black safe mode background

Sorry, there is a password XXXXX program http://www.pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
, but it's complicated; it's easier resetting the computer.

What's the brand and model of your windows xp computer?

Do you have the windows xp disk or recovery/restore disk?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have a recovery disc (2). HP m706n, product # XXXXX

Great. Please try this: turn off the hp computer, then turn it back on, then press the key F11 when the computer logo or the first thing appears on the screen in order to do a factory restore.

If that does not work, insert the first recovery disk and then turn off the computer. Then turn on the computer, then press the key F10 (or could be F1, or F2) when you see the computer logo appears on the screen in order go to BIOS/Setup menu. Then look for the Boot/Startup option and set the CD/DVD drive as 1st order and the hard disk drive as 2nd order. Then save and exit. Then press any key when asked to boot from the CD/DVD drive..., and continue.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am in recovery mode (non-destructive recovery) It has started "recovering Windows XP & application files"

OK, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is asking to restart or turn off computer. I assume I will have to go back to microsoft for the upgrades to Windows?

No, you do not go back to microsoft for anything; the recovery disks should work. Restart the computer, then see what happens. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What did it mean "the Windows certificate is expired"? What does this relate to?

Windows is "preparing to start"

Where/when does it say "the Windows certificate is expired"? Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not seeing it now. I saw it in the "computer or my computer" yesterday. I am currently at HP windows setup. to continue, click next. I am doing that

Was it on a web page? or a program, etc.? Was anything not working on your computer?

OK, just continue the setup, and we'll see. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My sound has not worked for 2 weeks. I am not finding the problem. I will ask my son to troubleshoot it for me. If We have to go back into this setup to complete that process, how do we access? I completed registration. Norton Internet Security started setup. Says PC will restart in 8 min

For sound issue: Check the speakers' connection; try the sound / headphones jack in front of the computer, if any. Remove speakers, and connect headsets/headphones and check. And reinstall the audio driver:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=459895

Just leave the computer on and let it finish. Or when it lets you shut down, then you can shut down, then turn it back on when you can to continue.

You can get back to me any time via this web page. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The screen is still blank. It has not restarted yet. I did find one loose connection on a key speaker, fastened it. If this does not make it work, can you email the audio drivers link since it is a different computer? [email protected]

What is difference between basic and unlimited justanswers service. I rarely need assist since i don't change anything. Is this conversation considered one question?

Sorry this is considered one question.

Press and good power button for about 7 second for power to turn off. then turn out back on and check.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sound is on. It is asking to set up internet access. I have cable internet. I am not sure how to proceed since provider is rcn.com

Cancel internet setup and/or select LAN network if available. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This part I think I can do. It says I have to contact ISP. I have an appt in 20 min. They can talk me thru this.

Thank you

Your welcome. Ok if you need anything later please let me know. I will reply back in the afternoon. Thank you.