Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Qualified Computer Professional - 12+ years experience. Expert in Computer Hardware & Graphic Design
50064670

I have a Toshiba netbook NB305-N440RD, a few years old, has

Customer Question

I have a Toshiba netbook NB305-N440RD, a few years old, has worked well but today the screen was blank, and when I hit Ctrl/Alt/Del and then F2 I was able to get a message saying there was an error, to insert windows install disc to restart, or contact computer manufacturer. There is no place to insert a disc into this netbook. Any suggestions?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks a lot for posting your query here. I am Jins here to assist you. This is a serious error and shows that the boot sector of your netbook is corrupted. Toshiba NB305 series netbooks do not have an optical drive with it. So, you can use factory reset to fix the operating system related errors. But, you will lost the files and programs in your system. Because this process erases the hard disk and restores the netbook to the factory state.

To perform the factory restore please follow below steps.

Plugin your netbook to a wall outlet using its AC adapter. Shut down the netbook, then hold down the "0" (zero) key and press the Power button to restart it. Continue holding down the "0" key.

Click "Yes" along the bottom of the screen when a warning message appears in red lettering informing you that all the information on the hard drive will be erased as part of the recovery process. The netbook will continue booting up to the Toshiba Recovery Wizard.

Select "Recovery of Factory Default Software" when asked to select a process, then click "Next."

Select "Recover to out-of-box state" when asked to select a recovery method, then click "Next." Click "Next" again after a second warning message appears on the screen. The recovery process will begin.

Press any key on the keyboard to restart the netbook when a message appears on the screen saying the recovery is finished. The Toshiba netbook will boot up to the Windows setup screen.

Another option is using an external DVD drive with the netbook. If you have your windows installation disk, connect an external dvd drive to your netbook. Insert the windows installation disk in the drive. Restart the netbook. Press the "F12" key repeatedly when the netbook begins to boot up until you are redirected to the Boot menu. Highlight "DVD" using the arrow keys on the keyboard and press "Enter" to boot up from the installation disk. Then perform a repair install to fix the error.

Regards
Jins

===========================================================================================================

Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer i would suggest not to opt for a factory restore because it will erase every document, files, pictures, and your personal info from the computer. NOT to take that risk.Solution and option which i would suggest.Turn off the netbook wait for 1 minute turn on the power and keep hitting the F8 key you must get a screen windows screen with lots of options.safe modesafe mode with networkingsafe mode with command promptyou must select the one which says Last known good configuration by using the arrow key and hit enter to select.let me know how it works
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I turned it off, waited, turned it back on, I have to put in my log on name and press enter, but then I get the error page again and have the option to continue or exit at the bottom of the screen, either choice results in a blank screen again.

Pressing the F8 key gives no response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes when I turn it off and then on, I just get the blank screen, not the error screen, but there is a blinking prompt (a dash) in the way upper left corner of the screen.

After the screen is blank for a time another screen came up with Boot Features:

Summary screen, boot-time screen, quickboot mode and fast boot are "enabled".

Extended Memory testing says "none". Should I change any of these settings from enabled or none?

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

we have to first verify that your computer is detecting the harddrive or not for that you have to go into the bios setup screen check in there if the hard driver is listed in there and set the bios as default then save changes and exit. let me know once you are in the bios screen we can chat and move forward from there.

can you arrange an external usb cd/dvd drive and a windows operating system disk you can verify by flipping the computer upside down there will be a Microsoft sticker which indicates what operating system is installed on the netbook.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I get into the bios screen?

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

As you turn on the netbook Press F2 few times it will open the bios screen. Let me know once you are there.

Set the BIOS to default settings. Access the BIOS pressing F2 to get BIOS settings. Here press F9 to get default settings and then save the changes F10 before leaving the BIOS.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a windows 7 starter operating system. I don't think I have a disk for it.

But I think I'm in the bios screen now if that's the same as the Setup Utility screen.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
did you manage to get into the bios and set the bios as default.

check if the hard drive is listed in there or not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I set the bios to default settings unter the F9 key, and then hit F10, but still it doesn't boot up. Where does it list the hard drive? Under which tab?(main, advanced, display, security, boot, exit)

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
it must be under main tab. take a picture of the screen and post it here you can use your cellphone to click a pic and use the bluetooth to transfer the picture to this computer on which you are chatting now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The main screen has:

System Time

System Date

HDD/SSD Hitachi HTS545025B9A300-(S1)

Total Memory

System BIOS Version V1.70

Language

Boot Features (If I click on boot features a screen comes up:

Summary screen disabled

Boot-time Diagnostic Screen: disabled

Extended Memory Testing none

Fast boot: disabled

(These are the default settings I assume)

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
HDD/SSD Hitachi HTS545025B9A300-(S1) is listed that means the hard drive is ok
let me work on this how to get the windows repair without a disk
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
is the windows7 32 bit or 64 bit can you confirm.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
click on this link and follow the windows recovery without a disk you can use a usb flash drive to create a recovery usb flash drive.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/how-to-create-a-windows-rescue-usb-stick-984726

copy and paste the link on the internet explorer address bar right on the top and hit enter.
let me know if you have any question i will be happy to reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found your last answer today when I got to my computer again. It looks like I would need to purchase a recovery disk, and since I had Windows 7 Starter originally, I didn't know if regular Windows 7 would work, I only have 1 GB memory.

BUT, then I was looking through my collection of scan discs and I found the recovery USB I made originally!! Also have an application USB disc. So it's now loading. I'll answer back again when it's done. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I waited until the recovery scandisc was done, and still have the exact problem I began with.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir, I am Jins here. I wonder why the other expert suggested a solution that didn't work. The error message on your system means your system's boot sector is corrupted and the system can't read from the boot sector. In such a case you will not get advanced boot options by using the F8 key. Because the system can't boot and so there is no advanced boot options like safe mode. Regarding the repair using windows install disk, most times a normal repair will not fix boot sector corrupted issues. If there is only some booting related files missed, a repair install will work. That is why I suggested you to perform a repair install with an external dvd drive and windows install disk. Toshiba systems which come with genuine windows and do not have the windows install disk with it have a recovery partition on the hard disk. When there is an unrecoverable operating system related issue user need not buy a windows disk. User can use that recovery partition to restore the windows operating system. The factory reset will restore windows from that recovery partition and you will get your system working back. So I recommend you the factory reset as on my previous answer. But yes, you will loss your files stored on that netbook. Regards Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jinsmn,

Thanks for your reply. If I try the external DVD method, would that also be erasing everything back to out of the box status? I never had a DVD for windows install, the netbook came with the Windows 7 starter SNPC OA installed. Is there a disk for that? Is there anything that would work with the flash drive I have for restoring the Toshiba? Would I be able to use the DVD slot on my desktop computer as an external DVD? There is no place to insert a DVD directly into my netbook.

I know these are a lot of questions. Just want to clarify the options. I really appreciate your help.

Naomi

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Naomi, You can boot from the external dvd drive with a windows install disk and can try the repair install. If the repair install succeeded you will not loss your data. But you need a windows install disk (if you do not have one you need to purchase it) and an external DVD drive which you can connect to the usb port of your netbook. You can't use the DVD drive on your desktop system.

You asked "Is there anything that would work with the flash drive I have for restoring the Toshiba?" Is that flash drive came with your netbook ? Or you created a reastore disk ? Let me know which type of usb restore disk you have. Then I can give suggestions.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply. I made 2 flash drives when I got the netbook, one is for recovery and the other is for appications.

My daughter is coming tomorrow, and I think she has an external DVD drive, I'll try using that. I downloaded a Windows 7 starter program from the internet onto a flash drive and put it in the Toshiba to boot from but it didn't work, just as the recovery flash drive didn't work.

Whenever I try to press the F8 key, nothing happens.

Naomi

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, you have a windows 7 desktop right ? Then you can create a windows 7 usb boot disk. Please follow these instructions to create the bootable usb disk.

Now plug the usb disk to your netbook and restart it. Press and release the F2 key. You can now get in to the BIOS and can set your USB disk as first boot device. Press F10 to save the changes and exit BIOS settings.

Your system will restart and you will get Windows 7 System Recovery Options Window. Click on starup repair and follow the onscreen instructions. If it not helps, you need to boot again with usb drive and select Command Prompt. You will get a black command prompt window. Type cd boot and hit ENTER
Type BOOTREC /RebuildBCD and hit ENTER (this rebuilds the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) file)
Now type BOOTREC /FixBoot and hit ENTER ( The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition)
Now type BOOTREC /FixMBR and hit ENTER

Restart your netbook and remove the usb disk. I hope, your system will boot normally.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I followed the directions to the Part 5 in the "these instructions" above, and when I entered "clean" I got a message "The disk part has encountered an error. Access is denied. See system event log for more information.

When I tried to restart from the flash recovery drive I made when I first got the netbook, I can press F2 on the startup, and set the system to boot from the USB, but when I exit the setting nothing happens. Sometimes a flashing prompt on a black screen appears, but it won't accept anything I type in.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Madam, Are you sure you selected the right disk on diskpart ? In that example Disk 1 id for USB drive. In your case it may different. You can find the right disk by checking the size it displays. In the example Disk 0 is 298 GB and so we can understand it is hard disk. And Disk 1 is 3836MB which means it is the usb drive. So you should find your usb drive disk number and use it. For example if the disk is 2, you should use

SELECT DISK 2

CLEAN

regards

Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll try it again tomorrow, it's late now. There was more than 1 choice for the same size even though there was only 1 USB plugged in. Maybe I can get it right tomorrow. Thanks yet again for your help.

Naomi

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I think the diskpart command not detecting the USB drive and that is why it is not listed. So forget about the diskpart command. Do the following..

1. Type create system repair disc in Windows 7 Start menu search box and hit enter.

repair windows 7 from usb flash drive wihout installation disc

2. In the resulting dialog-box, select your DVD drive. Insert a blank DVD into the DVD drive and then click Create disc button to start creating Windows 7 repair disc. Wait for a few minutes to complete the burning task.

repair windows 7 from usb flash drive wihout installation disc 1

3. Once you have Windows 7 repair disc, you can now create a Windows 7 recovery USB drive. Plug your USB flash drive and make sure that you have no data on the USB drive as we are going to format it. Then follow the instructions here to make your USB drive bootable.

4. Now, insert the previously created repair disc and copy all the contents (contains three items) to the USB flash drive. You have just created a bootable Windows 7 recovery USB drive.

repair windows 7 using USB flash drive

5. Now plug the usb disk to your netbook and restart it. Press and release the F2 key. You can now get in to the BIOS and can set your USB disk as first boot device. Press F10 to save the changes and exit BIOS settings.

Your system will restart and you will get Windows 7 System Recovery Options Window. Click on starup repair and follow the onscreen instructions.

If it not helps, you need to boot again with usb drive and select Command Prompt. You will get a black command prompt window. Type cd boot and hit ENTER
Now type BOOTREC /FixMBR and hit ENTER

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, I finally was able to make the USB according to directions, I put it in the netbook, and nothing happened, then I tried again, and it took some time but the screen said something I can't quite recall but something like downloading, and a little bar at the bottom showed the progress, it was fairly brief, then a light blue sky screensaver with a little green twig and a white bird on the left of the screen came on and then nothing for over 5 minutes or so. Then a few more screens each of which took several minutes before moving on, and finally I hit Startup Repair. The screen "checking your system for problems" has been running now for 15 minutes or more, just changed "attempting repairs" but says it may take over an hour. I am going to bed but will let it run.

Thanks so much for your help, I was so pleased to see a screen finally appear. I will give you an update later, hopefully the last correspondence needed, and then can rate the great job you did with such good followup and persistence.

I sent this and now am editing it - as soon as I sent it I got a result that all the tests were fine except the root cause is "System volume on disk is corrupt".

Repair action: File system repair (chkdsk)

Result: Failed. Error code = 0x1f

Would choosing other recovery tools help?

The list includes:

Startup repair (which we did)

System restore

System Image Recovery

Windows Memory Diagnostic

Command Prompt

I tried command prompt as you had suggested in your last reply and after entering the 2nd command it showed scanning for Windows and reported "Total identified Windows installations: 0".

Can I download a windows program to a USB on my desktop and then insert it into my netbook and then will the netbook find it?

The current prompt on the screen now is:

x:\Windows\System32\Boot>

I thought we had it fixed!! But I hope we're closer.

Naomi

Naomi

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Congrats madam, you did it correctly. That error sounds like your hard disk's boot sector is corrupted irrecoverably. But there is some more hope. Please try the following.

When you are on x:\Windows\System32\Boot> type chkdsk c: /f/r and press Enter let the system complete the chkdsk process. If it gives some error execute the chkdsk command one more time and check the result. After chkdsk completed successfully, run the BOOTREC commands as on my previous answer. If those commands completed successfully, you can restart the system normally and check the result.

If the bootrec command gives error, type C: and press Enter. Then type cd windows and press Enter. Now type cd system32 and press Enter. Now type cd boot and press Enter. Now try to execute the BOOTREC commands as before.

If it completes successfully you can restart your computer and boot normally.

If it also do not helps, select System restore from the repair option and follow the onscreen instructions. It will allow you to restore your system to a previous date on which your system worked perfectly. restoring will not affect your files stored, but will remove the programs that installed after the system restore date you are selecting.

If system restore also do not works, the only option is factory reset that I mentioned first.

regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's been 24 hours since I started the chkdsk process. Now it's only 3% done. There are 2 lines for each entry, for example:

3% complete - <46336 of 140800 file records processed>

File record segment 46336 is unreadable.

Then it goes on to the next number 46337, etc. It started with number 28, but sometimes there are thousands of numbers skipped between entries.

??? If the message I mentioned last night was that no Windows installation was found, is it possible just to download a windows program?

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
It seems, your hard disk is severely corrupted. But I think chkdsk is trying to repair it. Let the chkdsk program find the corrupted clusters and fix the repairable ones. As per the disk size the operation time will increase. That no windows installation found message means, that repair process can't find a windows installation. Downloading a windows program will not help to fix it.

If the solutions in my previous answer do not works, the only option you can try is the factory reset. If factory reset also do not works, you need to buy a new windows installation disk and format the hard disk and should install a fresh copy of windows. But you will loss all your files and data stored in the hard disk.

Regards
Jins
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Madam, Can you please let me know the progress of our work.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I gave up on all the stuff we tried, and went back to your original instructions for recovery. Then after the first couple of screen I got a message:

Error: 08-0E89-0000

Partition creation failed.

Please press OK to turn off the computer.

Is this hopeless?

I'll be glad to rate you and appreciate your help, but can we still correspond after the rating?

Naomi

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Didn't the chkdsk process completed successfully ? If so, your hard disk have serious errors on it. The disk's recovery partition also may corrupted and that is the reason for that error.

If the factory reset does not work, you need to try formatting the hard drive and do a fresh install of operating system. If you are technically capable, you can remove the hard disk from the netbook and connect it on another system to check or repair the disk. But I recommend you to contact the nearest service center. You need to tell them about the processes we did for recovery. Then they can take the disk out and can check it with the help of another system and can recover the needy data if possible. If the disk is not repairable you need to replace the disk and install OS on it.

Sure, we can continue our conversation after the rating also.

Regards
Jins
Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Qualified Computer Professional - 12+ years experience. Expert in Computer Hardware & Graphic Design
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Madam, Thank you very much for the positive rating. You can reply to this thread any time if you need any clarifications. It is a pleasure dealing with you.

Remember me, when you need any assistance again. I am always happy to help you.

When you have any new issues, you can ask for my assistance by going to http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-jinsmn/

regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much.

When I tried to exit the failed recovery screen by pressing OK as described above, I got a message "BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Yea, It is because of the hard disk is corrupted and system can't load the needy files from it. Our only hope was that chkdsk command. If it can't fix the problem; as I said before, we should try other alternatives like connecting that hard disk to another system, full format the drive etc.

Regards
Jins