Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Three days ago my history and my favorites were working perfectly.

Three days ago my history and my favorites were working perfectly. Now I have no history, but my favorites also have been wiped out. I've tried everything to get my favorites back, but nothing has worked. I am able to add to my favorites, but after they are added, when I click on the names of the sites, nothing happens. "Rating unrated"appears under the site name. Do you have any idea what's happening?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your Question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me please which internet browser you are using?

eg: Internet Explorer?

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Internet Explorer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

The first step is to ensure Internet Explorer is not corrupted.

I want you to do the following. It involves a reset of settings, but this does NOT touch your favorites.

Please do the following in Internet Explorer

Click Tools (the gear wheel top right) than Internet Options

Click on the General Tab and Delete all Temporary Internet Files.

Than click the Advance Tab and click Reset

Then tell me if you still have the problem please.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you referring to System tools? And where exactly is the General tab? How do I go about deleting all temp. internet files, and where is the advance tab??????? Please more info!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, I am asking you to do this IN Internet Explorer

IN Internet Explorer

Let me know if you have any difficulties please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, you are talking to a novice, and my daughter doesn't even know how to get INTO Internet Explorer!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its ok

Internet Explorer is your web browser, this is where you favorites are.

You open it like you always do, when you go to the internet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I got as far as the general tab. but it doesn't say general tab. What exactly will it say/
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It will say General

It is the Tab it initially opens to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Files are deleted, now where do I click reset?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Click on the Tab Advance

On that page, at the bottom is Reset to click please.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I clicked ok, and I didn't see any tab advance or rest pet.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The Tab is Reset.

It is where you saw General.

There was GENERAL TAB, and there is an ADVANCE Tab

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I've read about it, but does it get rid of all my security settings/ Does that mean my firewall? Is this going to get rid of everything ? all my settings? Please explain what I stand to lose.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, it just resets IE to normal, how it first was, and fixes any corruption.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to turn off my computer for the changes to take effect. just the screen or the whole computer?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The whole computer please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I have a new problem...I tried to add yahoo to my favorites, and it said I couldn't because it was already on there...but, it is not displayed anywhere!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It will be, but can be hidden in one of your menus.

Should we delete all favorites and start again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try...
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, close Internet Explorer and all windows.

Click the Start Button (the Windows logo button bottom left)

Type in the search

Favorites

Press enter.

In the windows that opens, delete everything listed.

Then open Internet Explorer and try to add Yahoo

Let me know the results please

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything is deleted, and I put Yahoo on there and it disappeared when I put FB on after it. I
tried again, and it told me that Yahoo was already on there, which it isn't, and it asked if I wanted to override it and I said yes, and after it was placed on the list, it refused to work!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, download Google Chrome from here please

www.google.com/chrome

After you have installed it, run it. It is similar to Internet Explorer (actually better)

And tell me if you can add favorites in this please.

Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome!

It was corrupted, you need to use Google Chrome, but it is much faster and better!

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you