Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.
62669195

my taskbar is missing. I cannot add anything to the taskbar.

my taskbar is missing. I cannot add anything to the taskbar. I need to have my taskbar restored.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX would like to assist you with your question. I am an expert here on JustAnswer.com in the computer field.

How are you doing today?

Would you mind if I remotely shared your screen to see what's going on?

If that's okayhttps://secure.join.me/Download.aspx?webdownload=true

Click the above link, A download should begin. If it asks at the bottom if you want to run or save choose Run

This will open the Join.me Application. When it open a 9 digit number will be at the top (should look similar to this format(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Reply to me with the 9 digit number

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot open that link.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
What happens when you click it Ed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing happens when i click on it. no response.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Hmm sorry about that Ed, try this link

https://secure.join.me/Download.aspx?webdownload=true

Reply to me with the 9 digit number

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried that new link and it tried to open but I could not view the files. Would not open.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Ed can you try this for me?

Hold the CTRL key down on the keyboard. while holding ctrl press he esc key on the keyboard

Let's see if this at least reveals the start menu or taskbar.

Next see if it allows you to use your mouse to CLICK and hold the taskbar and drag it back up

graphic

If you click the above image see how an arrow points upwards when you are on the bottom of the screen? When you mouse pointer points upwards at the bottom of the screen this is the time you want to click and hold the left mouse button down and slowly drag it back up.

Let me know if that does the trick, if it does not have you rebooted since it dissappeared? What happened before it went away?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is not problem with the start menu or icon. It has always been there. The taskbar shows whatever programs I current have running, but I cannot pin anything there. When I did the control esc I got the start menu.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
What happens when you Right Click on the item you want to 'pin' and choose Pin to task bar?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing happens.
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like it may be a corrupt Windows Profile Ed. Can you test something for me?

Hold the Windows Key (looks like a flag on the keyboard) and press r

In the run box type control userpasswords2 then push enter

Click Add

Choose a user name then press next

You can skip entering a password XXXXX press next again

Choose Administrator as the type then click Finish

Click Start
then choose Log Off

Log on
to the newly created account. Let me know if the new account has the same problems.

If it works on the new account let's copy the files over from the old one

To do that

Double click Local Disk C:

Double click Users

Double Click
the OLD user account name

Once you are under this folder HOLD the CTRL key and press a

This will highlight the files

Once they are highlighted

HOLD the CTRL key and press c

This will copy the files

Next:

Click Start then choose Computer once again

Double click Local Disk C:

Double click Users

This time: Double Click
the NEW user account name

HOLD the CTRL key and press p to paste all the files over.

Let me know if that does it
Laughing

Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience: Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.