Joshua C.
Joshua C., PC Technician
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician with over 10 years of experience.

Using OMD E-M5 and Oly Viewer 2 for processing. When I copy

Using OMD E-M5 and Oly Viewer 2 for processing. When I copy a folder with processed photo and movies to memory stick for viewing on other computers, the other computers have problems displaying images properly. Some photo images are rotated 90 degrees and movies are either not displayed at all or will play with a jerky motion and are missing sound. What programs are needed to properly open these files and play them as a slide show as created in Olympus Viewer 2?
Thank you for using my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you today.

The older Olympus Viewer 2 software has an issue with picture saving where the rotated pictures will not show correctly on other computers. This is due to the program not saving the rotation in the actual image file but just altering it for the system that Olympus Viewer 2 is installed on. Olympus has updated the software to version 3 and my understanding is that this issue has been corrected.

You can download Olympus Viewer 3 from:

Please Note: Olympus Viewer 3 is compatible with Windows® XP (SP2 or later), Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.4.11 or greater.

To get the videos working on other computers you will need to install the correct video and audio codecs so the files can be read/played. I would suggest downloading the CCCP Codec pack (for free) at:

This codec pack will need to be installed on each of the computers that you want to open/play the created videos.

Another thing you can do to get the videos to play better is install VLC video player. This is a free open source video player that I find plays videos better than windows media player. VLC can be downloaded (for free) at:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Josh. Your advice sounds reasonable. My purchase of the Oly camera and it's software was recent. Too bad it didn't have the most recent Viewer version. I will download Oly Viewer 3 and see how it goes. Also will install CCCP and VLC on my desktop and laptop. I have heard good things about VLC. I do worry though, that if I want to share photos and video with friends via memory stick or CD, they will not be able to view images/video just like I do. But digital life is become pretty complicated and there is little standardization. Thanks for your help

I am glad that my answer was helpful, if you need any additional information just let me know and I will be happy to assist you.

A easy way to share videos with people that are close is to burn them to DVDs and if they are located far away upload the videos to youtube and share the video links via email.

The reason that your camera came with older software is because when it was created Olympus had a huge backstock of software cd's and they were using the old cd's because the software still "worked". It's a common occurrence with hardware.

Have a wonderful day,