technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years experience. B.S. Computer Science
65369237

Lost audio on my computer

Lost audio on my computer
Category: Computer
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

My name is James

Welcome to Just Answer

Is this a desktop or laptop ?>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
desktop dell
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks ,

are these External or Internal Speakers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
external
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.
Usb or 3.5Jack
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3.5? I think not usb
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.

Perfect thanks for all the info , It helps us look at the problem

Ok the 3.5 Jack , can you tell me what position that is plugged into the Desktop

I,e that Back green Hole , then remove it and Re connect it make sure its right in and test again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
green audio wire plugged into green audio port on back of unit. removed and replaced both ends and no luck
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks , We just have to Check

Is there any power going to the Speakers do they have any lights on them ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep speakers are powered up
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks ,

Lets do a test ,

Can you connect the Speakers to the headphone socket , then see if they give any Sounds please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well, I hear a static noise over the speakers when switching sockets, but still get no audio with youtube or media player.....
Expert:  James K. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Can I remote on and have a look I can send you a link to connect

Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service,

If the sound on the speakers just stopped working, it's likely the speakers themselves that are causing this problem. A good way to check this easily is to plug headphones that you know work, into the same green jack you have the speakers plugged in. If you hear sound on the headphones, the speakers are surely bad, and will need to be replaced.

Please remember to rate positively. I strive for excellent service! Rating costs you nothing more, and a positive rating helps me, where not rating or rating negative hurts me. I'm always here for any follow up questions you may have, and follow up after rating for no additional fee. Thank You.
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience: 20 years experience. B.S. Computer Science
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well, your headphone trick worked, but whenever I remove the speaker line from the speakers or the computer, I hear a static click from the speakers, so my speakers are still good?
Not a trick or fix Cool It's a test to see if the speakers are bad, and in your case it failed.

As far as the static noise or other, speakers are speakers. They are dumb devices which will transmit sound properly when working, and of course fail when not. Short of "fixing" the speakers , which usually isn't economical or possible , your best bet is replacement. Desktop speakers sets seem to fail often (both amplified and not). If sound isn't that important to you, I'd recommend a cheap set of amplified (or even not amplified) speakers. This way, when they fail, you won't be out much money. If you go with a higher quality set, try to check reviews and go for a "good" brand. One good site to check such things and purchase is http://newegg.com

Please remember to rate positively. I strive for excellent service! Rating costs you nothing more, and a positive rating helps me, where not rating or rating negative hurts me. I'm always here for any follow up questions you may have, and follow up after rating for no additional fee. Please rate my help and advice, and not the situation or your speakers, as I have no control over that. Thank You.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, you were right!! $50 trip to best Buy and I'm playin' music once again!! Thanx