Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.

How to get XP SP3 downloaded after reinstall of Windows.

How to get XP SP3 downloaded after reinstall of Windows. Constant problems, as I also need IE 7 or better.
Hi, I will assist,

I'm sorry about the issue. You can download service pack 3 manually at the official Microsoft website below, then install:

, or it's easier that you do automatic windows updates at the website below, which include the latest service pack 3:

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There certainly is an issue- several of them. I have tried Microsoft's site and two others. The only one that actually arrived in the computer was the one from Tucows, and then it gave the dumbest error msg: This SP is lower than the one you should have,- SP1. What nonsense! I also can't load Windows update, because IT wants SP!. I also can't load IE7, because it wants SP2, as I recall. No matter what I download, I get a complaint that I should have loaded something else first.
I'm sorry, can you try service pack 1a first?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would, if I could find it, which I haven't so far.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll give it a try- thanks!
You're welcome. Also, if needed, service pack 2 is at

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As I recall, you recommended that I go to the update site and get SP3 there, correct? I'll have to back up a few screens to find it...............
Yes, if it lets you; the automatic update site is at

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, of all the dumb things! I got an error msg saying you can't access Windows Update from XP!
I'll have to get out of XP and try again
Sorry, try sp 1a first and see. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got SP 1a down okay, apparently. I still have to get into IE 6 and access the dnload

That update. ms. com site is useless! It just sends me to, where there are options to actually download a damn thing. It just talks ABOUT the process, but doesn't let you DO anything.
I'm sorry, how about clicking on Tools option in Internet Explorer, then click on Windows Update? Or click on Start, then All programs, then Windows update if it's there?

I'm sorry, our website has issues lately; we are fixing it. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll try those, because the Windows support site is useless. As soon as I click on a choice- and the graphics are all messed up anyway - my CPU is running at 100% and mouse clicks don't do a damn thing! The site is a mess! OK, I'll try the Tools/Update and the other option
OK, thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This has been an awful waste of my time, going to the same sites that I went to myself, just round and round and round in a vicious circle. Go try those sites for yourself and see how messed up and useless that alleged Support site is.
Sorry, I went to those sites and they do work on my computer. What happens when you go to the website below:

, then click on the red/organge Download button, then run it, then what happens?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
First I have to write that down, then bring it over to the other computer to try. Okay, it was already save in IE 6, but that was only for SP 1a- the only thing that actually got downloaded and supposedly installed.
You can download and save the sp1 file on this computer , then transfer over via a USB drive, then open it to install:

Another link I've uploaded for sp1:

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But it's SP3 I need, which is what I asked about at the start of this.
Sorry, you said when you download sp3, it did not let you? Then you would install sp1 first, then sp2 if needed, then sp3.

For sp3, on this computer, click on the website below:

, then click on the red/orange Download button,
, then click on "Proceed with this download", then click on Next,
, then click on "No thanks and continue" if asked
, then save it
, then transfer over to that computer via an external USB drive
, then install sp3 file.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I have downloaded the files onto a flash drive, plugged the flash drive into the other system. Now to what location do I copy the SP3 file? Or doesn't it matter, since the self-extraction will know where to put the files?
Great. It does not matter, but I suggest to copy first anyway, since flash drive speed is slower. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, nothing worked once the programs tried to install themselves. SP3 would not install because SP1a was not already installed. Then when I tried to install SP1a, it went just so far and hung up because it was trying to download files off the Microsoft website- and couldn't make contact. So everything we did was useless. I am no better off than when I first contacted you. There is supposed to be a version of SP1a, that does NOT download any files, but the instructions for finding it were wrong and therefore useless
I'm sorry. What's the brand/model of your xp computer? Can you connect that computer to the INternet first (connect an Ethernet/network cable from that computer to the modem/router)?

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has always been connected to the router with an ethernet cable

....What the hell is wrong with this input screen???? The delays are bad enough without having to fight the way the words jump around.

The computer was built by Equus computers, a large custom outfit. It has an AMD CPU - Duron running @ 950mhz and it has 624 mb RAM.

When I try to install the SP1a it hangs up at the point where it's trying to connect to Microsoft's website to get certain files. (It says "connecting" but never connects.) After it bogs down with no response from the server, it puts up a message about going to a certain place to get the version that doesn't require internet access to get those files.
It just quit, saying "server did not respond." It tried to reach "". Then the msg comes on that says "Go to the Windows XP Service Pack Web site, and select "Problems downloading the service pack", and claims it will give info on downloading a version of the SP1a that does NOT require a web connection during installation.

Problem is, THERE IS NO OPTION "Problems downloading the Service Pack"

You go see if you can find it, but I'm going to bed. One more wasted night trying to get - and paying for - help that was useless.

I'm really sorry, somehow that computer cannot connect to microsoft server well. Can you download the full service pack 1 at the website:

(If the above link does not work, try at

We can continue tomorrow or any time as needed. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried both options and all I got was an initial box telling me the download had started (a lie) and asking me if I wanted to save the file. After I said yes- absolutely nothing happened, except for all the graphics game displays. No file.
That's strange. Can you download / save from the working computer, then transfer over via the USB drive?

More download links for sp1 as needed:

(Download size is about 134 MB.)

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good afternoon and good news! (Well, it's afternoon here- I have no idea what time it is wherever YOU are.)

The 2nd of the download links worked just fine, except that it worked so fast it never put up the little windoow saying what it was doing, so I ended up with 4 copies. No problem, as the first one worked just fine after I moved it via the flash drive over to the XP system. It loaded and installed just fine, thus successfully preparing the way for SP3, which also installed successfuly. This was proven on reboot and using System on the Control Panel to display the particulars of the OS.

So, I thank you for your help, while still considering that this was an insane amount of time to accomplish such simple functions.
Great. I'm really sorry about that. Well, Microsoft does not support Windows XP any more, so I guess, it does not make it easy for you to update straight from its website, so I had to search for other download websites.

If you need anything else, please let me know any time. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, you found the right one, and that's what counts because that's the one that worked. Thanks again!
You're welcome. Thank you.