James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.

Help! My DELL Inspiron M5040 Laptop suddently just STOPPED

Customer Question

Help! My DELL Inspiron M5040 Laptop suddently just STOPPED working. No matter what I do 'CNTL ALT DEL' or holding the on/off button down I receive msgs on a black screen that Explorer has stopped working but then I try to restart I only get the LOGON SCREEN totally BLACK SCREEN most of the time...HELP it is my work computer and I have to go to work tonight YIKES! Please tell me there is something I can do....
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I appreciate the oppurtunity to assist you today.
I will do my best to answer your question!

The symptoms you describe can mean that the hard drive has crashed, which is a hardware problem - but let's try a couple of things and see if we can restore the computer into a working condition.

Boot into Safe Mode:
Reboot the computer, and keep tapping the F8 key immediately when the computer starts, and before you see the Windows Logo. You will see a black recovery console. Select Safe Mode from the menu.

Were you able to get into Safe Mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've been in safe mode in the CMD a hundred times :( I can't even Explorer to start

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
That's ok.

In Safe mode, in the CMD window, type:

rstrui

System Restore will start. Restore the computer to a couple of days ago, and reboot.

Does it work properly now?

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Starting windows, get logon screen, after logon screen stays black, can start task manager with ctrl-alt del, exporer.exe not loaded in task manager, any action like new task or sevices stops task manager

Tried already:
started safe mode with command prompt:

rstrui.exe to oldest point, no result

config.sys - only windows, no start-ups, no result

regedit, cmd crashes

(Don't have windows cd with me to restore windows application)

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Okay. We may need to re-install Windows.

What is the exact model of the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dell inspiron n5040, but I don't have cd with me, actually i'm abroad and cd is home in the states

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Oh - I understand!

Reboot the computer and keep hitting the F8 key.

Do you get an option to "recovery your computer" ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did this at least already 4 times,

going to copy explorer.exe from other computer and see if this will work if I can access the usb.

other wise I have to download the windows 7 home premium software

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
You will also need to burn it to a CD - do you have that option?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes on other laptop, suddenly the laptop started windows repair, see what happens

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Ok - that's good.

Let Windows Repair finish, and let me know if Windows starts properly please.

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows Repair didn't work, try to copy explorer.exe, hope I find the usb drive in cmd

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
That is very unlikely to work, but go ahead and try.

We will most likely need to get the WIndows Cd.

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am overseas...in the Caribbean. It is available for download anywhere online?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Yes - you can download it from here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/where-can-i-download-windows-7-iso-i-have-a/7d964b05-2be9-4800-bc7f-3ca30356fc3d

It will allow you to use your key, and then it will install your version of Windows.

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank, started downloading but will take some hours

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
No worries, please take all the time you need.
Once you get the image file, burn it onto a CD and then boot it in the computer.
You will be able to install Windows from this CD.

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience: 20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Uh oh where did you go...???

My computer still isn't fixed...even though I appreciate your tips so far my problem hasn't been resolved :(

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

I am still here - if you need anything from me, simply let me know!

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
My problem still hasn't been resolved and as I feared the moment I 'rated' my expert ..... guaranteeing payment...he just disappeared. Please help!!!
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

I did not go anywhere...

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi James. I hope to succeed in downloaded the file you recommended. (Looks like I won't be making it in to work tonight with a working computer, so I will be online all night working to find a solution). I assume you will not be online by the time the download is complete ...will someone be able to advise me if you are not available at that time or how will that work?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

I will keep checking my email and will do my best to respond promptly when you answer me.

If you need anything - just post it here and I'll do my best to help you.

There are experts here around the clock, so even if I'm not here someone else should be able to help.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks James. I still am at only 16% download .... Being in the Caribbean with this problem is a nightmare with limited bandwidth and download speed so slow. I hope I can get it fixed. Worst nightmare. I have to find a solution or I will lose my job. I'm a singer and I use the computer to operate my entire set up. I hope the download will complete soon and that somehow by some miracle my computer will start to work again by tomorrow ...I have 3 shows to do tomorrow.... *Sigh... Wow it the download JUST stopped AGAIN!

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

I hate to ask, but wouldn't it be faster and easier to just go out to a computer store, and buy a Windows CD?
It is an expense, but if it saves your job it is probably worth it...