James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

As I learn more about computers and using them, the more I

As I learn more about computers and using them, the more I realize I don't know and wish that I knew more about both software and hardware and general knowledge; especially privacy issues. Talking with friends, I understand that everyone has an "IP" address. As someone who is always curious and as a retired banker, I do a lot of due diligence. How is my IP address determined, who assigns it, and how can it be made private especially when I surf different sites on the net. Who keeps records of your IP address and how can I anyone/everyone from knowing where I have been on the internet?? Thanks and are there any good classes to take? How do hackers become hackers...there can't be classes on "How to become a Hacker" I'm sure? Thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I appreciate the oppurtunity to assist you today.
I will do my best to answer your question!

I am a network administrator and network security expert (a white-hat hacker, if you will) so I'm fairly certain I can answer most of what you want to know.

As for IP addresses, they are determined, for you, by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Your ISP has a special server called DHCP (Dynamic Host Control Protocol) which is responsible for automatically distributing IP addresses to requesting devices.

The modem in your home connects to your provider, and obtains such an IP.

Your devices at home connect to this modem/router, and the modem assigns different (private) IP addresses to them, using it's own, built-in DHCP server.

The modem is then responsible of routing the traffic from the internal IPs to the external IP, and vice versa.

As for classes - I suggest you start here for the basics:

http://broadcastengineering.com/infrastructure/computer-networking-beginners-part-i

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.

Thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, I have a wireless set-up so my desk computer is direct wired through the modem. I have a wireless router that connects other computers in the house such as my wife's desktop, her lap-top, my lap-top and my grandson's laptop and our house sitters laptop
when we are out of town and on our wireless system (which presently is unsecured with no password); my neighbor can access the internet through my modem......is that about right> Someone could drive by my house and access the internet through my wireless router/modem, ISP service...is that right? What if I use multiple ISP service providers such as Google, AOL, and about three more that offer free email/internet access? Are all these access sources shown as one IP address or are the access computers given separate IP addresses. Do each of these access points have separate IP addresses with each ISP? so my neighbor could access some less that savory web sites and whose IP address would be identified? Sorry for all the dumb questions...
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
If your router is not secured (not encrypted), then anyone can connect to it, and use your Internet connection to connect to the Internet, which means they use your public (provider-assigned) IP address.

You are confusing ISPs and email providers. AOL, Google, etc do NOT provide you with Internet access, only with email.

This means the neighbour or the dirver-by cannot access them through your router. They can use your internet link, but cannot access your personal info.

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would the neighbor or the driver by access my ISP if not through my router?
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Sorry if I confused you!

I did say they can access YOUR internet through the router - I mean they can use your link to go to websites, etc.

But - they CANNOT sign in to your email accounts, since they don't have your email username and password.

I hope this makes sense!

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get it, but if my neighbor/driver by accesses porn sites or any otjher less savory sites eg Klu Kluts Klan, will it look like I did if no passwords or other sign ins were involved? Thanks and again sorry for all the questions....you do have answers so I'm taking advantage of them!! Thanks
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Now you got it!

If your neighbour or anyone else did anything immoral or even illegal while connected to your router, it WILL look like it came from YOUR IP address.

If law enforcement later take the logs from your ISP and check who accessed the immormal/illegal site, your name will come up.

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So, I need to have a secured (pass word protected) router which will hopefully prevent that from occurring? If I don'y have a P/W protected rouyter they would still have to have access to my passwords to access anything important such as email, bank accounts etc? Thanks
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Leon, that's exactly right!

Glad I could help :)

Many thanks,

James.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience: 20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.