James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

Hi James, I know you deal with a lot of clients, but I am

Customer Question

Hi James,

I know you deal with a lot of clients, but I am the person you've recently been talking to regarding the SDDs and such.

I have another question. Is it possible to upgrade the NIC inside my laptop becuase the one I have only operates on the 2.4 GHz band and I'd like to have a top-of-the-line one (perhaps one that operates on the 802.11ac band since I just got that ASUS router you recommended).
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Upgrading the NIC inside the laptop is not easy, and should be done at a lab - however there is a very easy, simple and cheap solution.

You can get a Wireless USB adapter, that will plug into any available USB port on your computer. You can get an N adapter from any vendor, and it will work fine in your computer. Should cost around $30-$50 depending on the make and model.

If you have any other questions or need more information, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond!
I'd appreciate it if you can rate my service using the faces below my answer.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I actually do have a USB adapter that operates on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands but the thing I'm concerned about is that it would be connected via USB 2.0 (which isn't ideal). Additionally, it only supports 300 Mbps speeds on bands.

Presently, if you recall, I've had my laptop connected via Ethernet to my wireless bridge (which supports 450 Mbps speeds on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands at the same time). Despite these improved specs however, I believe you mentioned that going through the bridge will inherently slow down my internet which I believe to be true. The reason I believe this to be true is because I usually get better speeds when I am connected to the internet via the NIC that came with my laptop (which is older and only operates on the 2.4 GHz band).

In case you are interested, I've attached links for the wireless adapter and wireless bridge that I own.

Bridge - http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=230-TEW-680MB&cat=198

USB Wireless Adapter - http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/adapters/AE1000

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Everything you say is absolutely true - however since I very much doubt your actual Internet speed (connection to your provider) is more than 200MB, you are perfectly OK.

The adapter, and the USB (even though 2.0) are MUCH faster than your Internet speed, so you are not missing out on anything.

Does this make sense?

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sort of. So the 300 mbps speed and 450 mbps offer no benefit to me, even in terms of signal strength? The reason I ask is because the router I just bought, which I've attached a link for below, is pretty superior in terms of that.

http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC1750-Gigabit-Router/dp/B008ABOJKS

If so (i.e. I'd incur no benefits from having the faster speeds), what benefits will I have from this router compared to the one I have now, which is a Linksys E3000.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Actually, the contrary is true...

The 5.0 GHZ bandwidth offers LESS range - the wavelength is shorter, which means the wave can travel less and is much more susceptible to interruptions due to walls, etc.

So - the 2.4/2.5 range is better for range and reception, and will offer you all the speed you need considering your Internet link speed.

The only reason to switch to a faster adapter would be if you regularly copied large files between wireless computers inside your home.

If you don't do that, and your main use is the Intenet, you will not benefit from a faster adapter.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm slightly confused by your response.

Are you saying that I will receive no benefit from this router?

Or that the enhanced signal strength it claims to offer (compared to every other router) due to increased network capacity, less signal loss, faster speeds on the N band, etc.

As a matter of fact, it's claimed to "offer the fastest 5th generation Wi-Fi via 5GHz transmission". This leads me to believe that improved performance compared to the E3000 is inevitable.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
You will get a lot of benfits from the router - it is stable, can handle your full internet speed, and has excellent range.

I'm saying there is no benefit in switching your internal adapter to an N adapter, because your Internet speed will not improve.

I hope this explains it?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it does but would that even be the case if I got a USB adapter that operates on the 802.11ac band (like my new ASUS router does)?

Also, in regards XXXXX XXXXX PS3 for online game play and HD video streaming via the Amazon Instant Video app, would it be best to have that directly connected to my bridge (since the internal NIC only operates on the 2.4 GHz band)?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
If you got such an AC card, your speed between your computer and router will be phenomenal, but it will not change the speed between your router and the world, so the overall speed will not increase....

Your PS3 will do better with a direct connection for video streaming, do I expect it will stream properly on Wireless as well - needs testing in your specific environment.

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So ultimately, you recommend buying a wireless adapter that operates on the 802.11ac band? And similarly, perhaps also purchasing a bridge that operates on that band as well?

If I bought a USB wireless adapter, it would be this one I think.

https://www.asus.com/Networking/USBAC53/

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I would recommend that only if you need a fast wireless connection between devices on your own internal network.

If you just need Internet access ,you should stay with what you have, it is good enough and no point spending money...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Also, what the heck is this thing and is it compatible with my ASUS router?

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-WL-ANT-157-Antenna/dp/B005UBNJ48/ref=pd_ys_sf_s_172282_b1_5_p

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
It's a directional antenna. It is used for example if you wanted to beam communications directly at a fixed location on the other side of the street.

This is NOT something you need :)

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Alrite you've been extremely helpful and I just have one more question that doesn't really relate to what we've been discussing. One response will likely be all that's required so I don't want to create a separate question since I recently got in trouble for that and they temporarily disabled my unlimited subscription plan because of it.

In terms of security, I am presently using avast, which as you know is a free antivirus software. Although it never detects threats, the reason I am using it is because it apparently doesn't affect performance too much (i.e. it runs in the background, using very little very resources but is still effective).

Is there an antivirus that is almost or equally effective as avast that runs just as (or more) lightly in the background? Performance is my top priority so an antivirus that uses very few resources is of utmost importance (compared to effectiveness). Please note that I also execute scans via malwarebytes and spybot routinely and I also use several browser add-ons that could help (i.e. AdBlockPlus, DoNotTrackMe). I configure my browsers to never remember internet history too.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
There is a much better anti virus, which is fast, stable and completely free.

It is made by Microsoft and you can get it from:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

You probably want to uninstall AVAST before installing it.

Many thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The reason I installed avast is because I read a lot of negative reviews about Microsoft Security Essentials and avast, for the most part, was rated higher. What's your thoughts on this?

Also in regards XXXXX XXXXX fundamental conversation, you stated the following about purchasing that ASUS wireless adapter:

"If you got such an AC card, your speed between your computer and router will be phenomenal, but it will not change the speed between your router and the world, so the overall speed will not increase...."

I pay for 25mbps but very rarely, almost never get close to that. I usually get around 15 mbps and I could be wrong, but I attribute that largely to signal strength. Moreover, it would most likely be beneficial to purchase it right?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
I have been using the Microsoft AV for the last 6 years, and I have nothing but praise for it. It is fast and troublefree, and I never got a single virus. I highly recommend it.

Test your connection speed on Wireless and directly connected. If you see a difference, that means the wireless is slowing you down - and then it would be beneficial to switch to the a/c devices.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay here are the results. I performed one test for each.

WLAN (my internal) NIC - a little over 13 mbps, 15 ms ping

Bridge - a little over 21 mbps, 15 ms ping

Direct connection to router - a little over 23 mbps, 15 ms ping

Upload speeds are ALWAYS extremely close to 1 mbps (which is what I pay for). After this question, I swear I will be finished haha.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Don't worry about it :)

So yes, it does look like your current adapter is slowing you down. You should go for an N adapter or an a/c adapter, this will get you the full 21/23mbps speed.

J.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience: 20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay thanks for all of your help, once again. I will come back to you if I have any further questions!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

AH one last thing, as I'm about to make the purchase.

I don't want to purchase both a bridge and wireless adapter that operate 802.11ac band. I only want to purchase one of them and I don't know which one to pick.

Would you recommend I buy the following Linksys bridge that I'd connect to my computer via Ethernet.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wireless-AC-Universal-Connector-WUMC710/dp/B0090DX8O8

OR the ASUS wireless adapter we were just talking about.

The ASUS adapter is much cheaper and seems to be a very reputable product. However, it wouldn't offer additional benefit to my PS3. Please note that internet browsing is important but streaming content from my laptop to my PS3 is also very important as well.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
If you buy just one device that supports a/c and not the other, you won't be able to use a/c speeds...so can you explain the rational?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I can. Presently, I have that ASUS router that operates on the 802.11ac band. As you mentioned, if I bought the ASUS wireless adapter that operates on the 802.11ac band for my laptop (that I'd obviously connect via USB), you mentioned that the speed between my laptop and router will be phenomenal. I am assuming the same holds true for a wireless bridge that operates on the 802.11ac band as well (assuming my laptop is connected directly to it via Ethernet).

Thus, my question is whether you think I should purchase the ASUS wireless adapter or the Linksys bridge (since my laptop, for the most part, is connected to the bridge I presently have now (which does not operate on the 802.11ac band).

Basically, if you were in my situation, which one would you buy assuming regular Internet browsing and streaming content from your laptop to your PS3 via a media server are your top priorities.

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.
Ok - I understand now. Yes, if you get an adapter that can do a/c, you will be utilizing the full capabilities of the bridge and will get the full Internet speed.

J.