Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.

I have had the ransomvirus come up (Ukash asking for £100 from

Customer Question

I have had the ransomvirus come up (Ukash asking for £100 from the Met Police?) I can't get onto my computer at all, please help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 11 months ago.
If you cant get into it in safe mode you may be able to hit F11 and get the windows recovery menu. Try system restore NOT recovery which will set it to factory specs. The system restore will just back it up in time to an earlier date.

there is also a startup repair that might fix it at least well enough to get into the computer and get rid of the virus

Once you can get in the best program to remove something like that is malware bytes. You can get it on this page

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

It is the link on the right that says download latest version. dont take anything else as there may be advertisements that say download on them. the file name that you download should start with mbam
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

We went through safe mode and hit F11 (repeatedly...) but the computer continues to reboot as usual and go back to the virus screen? We cant seem to get to a point where we would be able to change/do anything

The F11 has to be hit right when the computer reboots.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

We can now get the options for safe mode and go in, but then as soon as we get into the computer it goes to the 'blue screen of death'...

what is the make and model of the computer. If it is windows 7 hitting the F11 rather than the F8 should get you the recovery menu rather than the safe mode menu

You are choosing safe mode rather than normal start after you get the safe mode menu correct ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Unfortunately, the expert has not been able to help me with my problem. I was stuck at trying to get into windows safe mode but the expert's advise didnt not help me achieve that. I have tried ll the suggestions but the computer goes to the virus screen or the blue death screen every time, blocking all activity on the laptop and not allowing me to do anything until I restart the system but then it all follows a similar pattern that ends in a blocked screen. Its a vicious circle which I was not able to get out from with the assigned expert.
Having said that, I would like to claim my money back because I am not satisfied with the service.
Kind regards,
Dorota Sliwa
Expert:  Chris L. replied 11 months ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be happy to assist you.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Please note that service is 100% guaranteed so you can have a refund at any time.

I have removed this virus many times and am very familiar with the steps so I would like to provide you some things to try.

1: Reboot the infected computer, as soon as it starts to boot keep tapping the F8 key on the keyboard. This will bring you to a prompt with some choices.

Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

2: Once it boots into windows with the command prompt Type the word explorer in black screen. See image below:
graphic

3: Then Navigate to: XXXXX XXXXX
Windows XP: C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press Enter
If you are using windows vista or 7 go to C:\windows\system32\rstrui.exe

You may need to double click on the rstrui.exe

4: This should open system restore.Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point that is before when the problem started. If you only see one restore point make sure you choose to show more restore points on the bottom left of the box.

If you need further help please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thanks for this answer! However, I have already found method elsewhere online (as I googled the virus and the advice I found was freely available!) and it didn't work as the system only gives me about 30-40 seconds to perform any operations and then goes straight to the virus screen or the blue screen. On one occasion I managed to get to the system restore but as I clicked on the icon it went on to the virus screen yet again.
Unfortunately, I have had to request a refund for the service.
Kind regards,
Dorota