Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.

I have a Lenovo Ideacentre desktop with Window 7. I have total

I have a Lenovo Ideacentre desktop with Window 7. I have total defense antivirus protection on it but....I now have a bad virus. How do I run a search and destroy or something like that from safemode on this computer?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

I am sorry to hear you have a virus.

Different viruses require different methods of removal. There is no one method or software that can remove any virus.

Do you know which virus you have? Tell me a bit more about what symptoms you are experiencing, is anything popping up on your screen? Are you unable to get to websites?

Please let me know so I can further assist.

Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes lots of pop ups...wanting me to purchase and activate system care antivirus...some scam..but its infected my web browser..and all my controls. I can't get around it in any kind of way...Im sure you've heard this before..but I was just looking up some spark plugs for my boat motor when this happen.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do know that virus. I also have a removal guide I can give you. But first, do you have a working computer and a USB drive of some kind in case we need to transfer some software to the infected computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes..I'm working from my laptop and do have USB...please keep in mind though that I attempted to run a program from the USB...but the virus stopped it from finishing....

Expert:  Chris L. replied 1 year ago.
Ok I am going to give you step by step instructions for removal. This is a known infection and the methods I am giving you are proven to work. Please do not skip any of the steps to be sure that it gets removed correctly.

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode with Networking. To do this, turn your computer off and then back on and immediately when you see anything on the screen, start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Choose safe mode with networking.

It is possible that the infection you are trying to remove will not allow you to download files on the infected computer. If this is the case, then you will need to download the files requested in this guide on another computer and then transfer them to the infected computer. You can transfer the files via your USB drive.

Before we can do anything we must first end the processes that belong to System Care Antivirus so that it does not interfere with the cleaning procedure. To do this, please download RKill to your desktop from the following link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

When at the download page, click on the Download Now button labeled iExplore.exe download link. When you are prompted where to save it, please save it on your desktop or to the flash drive.

Once it is downloaded, double-click on the iExplore.exe icon in order to automatically attempt to stop any processes associated with System Care Antivirus and other Rogue programs. Please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and ends them. When it has finished, the black window will automatically close and you can continue with the next step. If you get a message that RKill is an infection, do not be concerned. This message is just a fake warning given by System Care Antivirus when it terminates programs that may potentially remove it. If you run into these infections warnings that close RKill, a trick is to leave the warning on the screen and then run RKill again. By not closing the warning, this typically will allow you to bypass the malware trying to protect itself so that RKill can terminate System Care Antivirus . So, please try running RKill until the malware is no longer running. You will then be able to proceed with the rest of the guide. Do not reboot your computer after running RKill as the malware programs will start again.

If you continue having problems running RKill, you can download the other renamed versions of RKill from the RKill download page http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/. Both of these files are renamed copies of RKill, which you can try instead. Please note that the download page will open in a new browser window or tab.

Now you should download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, or MBAM, from the following location and save it to your desktop:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ (Download page will open in a new window)

Once downloaded, close all programs and Windows on your computer, including this one.

Double-click on the icon on your desktop named mbam-setup.exe. This will start the installation of MBAM onto your computer.

When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave both the Update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button. If MalwareBytes' prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.

MBAM will now automatically start and you will see a message stating that you should update the program before performing a scan. As MBAM will automatically update itself after the install.

On the Scanner tab, make sure the the Perform full scan option is selected and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer for System Care Antivirus related files.

MBAM will now start scanning your computer for malware. This process can take quite a while, so we suggest you go and do something else and periodically check on the status of the scan. When MBAM is scanning it will look like the image below.
graphic

When the scan is finished a message box will appear

You should click on the OK button to close the message box and continue with the System Care Antivirus removal process.

You will now be back at the main Scanner screen. At this point you should click on the Show Results button.

A screen displaying all the malware that the program found will be shown as seen in the image below. Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown in the image.

graphic

You should now click on the Remove Selected button to remove all the listed malware. MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so. Once your computer has rebooted, and you are logged in, please continue with the rest of the steps.

When MBAM has finished removing the malware, it will open the scan log and display it in Notepad. Review the log as desired, and then close the Notepad window.

You can now exit the MBAM program.

Reboot as normal to see if the infection is gone. I know that is a lot of information but essentially you are using two programs, Rkill to stop the virus from running and malwarebytes to remove the infection.

If you need further help please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You
-Chris
Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.