Marco
Marco, IT Consultant
Experience:  10+ years of experience as an IT Consultant.
72952988

I have a 250 gig Iomega desk top external drive that I bought

I have a 250 gig Iomega desk top external drive that I bought in 2010 from Fry's. I have a Lenovo T61 with Vista business, and no matter how many times I try and connect the external drive to my lap top, it will not show up on My Computer as a drive I can access to back up and make a mirror of my files or computer. What is wrong? I do not have a USB 2.0 port, if that matters. It's slower. Please advise, Thank you,
Category: Computer
Expert:  Marco replied 1 year ago.

businesslegions :

Hi there,

businesslegions :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with this issue.

businesslegions :

Can you please press windows key and e

businesslegions :

right click on computer

businesslegions :

click manage

businesslegions :

click disk management

businesslegions :

can you see the Iomega desktop listed at the bottom?

Customer:

I went throught the sequence and it brought up computer management snap in and there is no Iomega desktop listed.

businesslegions :

how are you connecting the iomega desktop to your computer?

Customer:

with a usb cable to my usb port

businesslegions :

can you plug it to a different USB port

businesslegions :

and see whether it appears in deisk management

Customer:

I have done so multiple times and nothing has changed. I have two ports, side by side.

Customer:

The USB cable comes from the back of Iomega hard drive, and came with the hardware. It says is is high speed 2.0, with 7200 rpm.

businesslegions :

ok

businesslegions :

have you tried plugging it into another computer?

businesslegions :

it's possible the unit may be faulty

Customer:

No. should I?

businesslegions :

yes please try to connect it to another computer

businesslegions :

this will determine if there is a fault with the Iomega external drive

Customer:

am booting up now

businesslegions :

ok

Customer:

no deal. It does not show up on the other laptop either.

businesslegions :

looks like it's a hardware problem

businesslegions :

with the unit

Customer:

In other words, I bought a lemon, and it's too late to return it since it's three years old. I guess there is nothing else you can do then. I will throw it out...thank you for your time. How do I finish up with this process?

businesslegions :

no problems

businesslegions :

but what you can do

businesslegions :

is buy an external enclosure

businesslegions :

so that you can remove the hard disk and put it in another enclosure

businesslegions :

but that depends whether the hard disk is still working or not

Customer:

In other words, take out the disk from Iomega, put it in another external enclosure, and then what? Would I use another USB cable and try and map my hard drive to that disk, or does an enclosure work that way. Also, where would I get the enclosure...normal computer store? Would they know what I'm talking about?

businesslegions :

yes the enclosure will come with another cable

businesslegions :

you can buy it from a local computer store

businesslegions :

just bring the Iomega drive

businesslegions :

and they will see that it will be a 3.5" HHD sata

Customer:

So that is it?

businesslegions :

yes

businesslegions :

hopefully the hard disk will be still intact

businesslegions :

to end this chat please rate my services by clicking the smiley faces

Marco, IT Consultant
Experience: 10+ years of experience as an IT Consultant.