Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.

Hello XXXXX view a avi file off an external device that

Hello XXXXX view a avi file off an external device that using sd chip. Does my laptop store it. Or is it gone once the device is disconnected?
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Unless you drag the file from the SD card to the laptops hard drive it will not be stored on the laptop.

That being said, depending on what software you use to view the video it may keep a record of your recently played files. This does not mean someone could open it but they may be able to see what is played.

Windows also has a recently opened files list as well so it could show up there.

You can clean up history and temporary files on the computer by using a free software such as Ccleaner

This takes care off all your file history and temporary files, clears you web browsing history and such. It is good to run every once in awhile for regular computer maintenance as well.

But the short answer is, if it was opened from an external source than it is not copied to your computer unless you chose to do so. Some programs like Itunes will ask if you would like to copy media to your library but you would know if that happened.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When you say see-Whats its played. Do you mean the title of the file. Not the contains.

Yes exactly, only the title would show assuming whichever program you viewed it in had a history list, it may not have one at all.

It would just be a record of the file, so if it was clicked the file would not open because it does not exist on the hard drive. In order to open it the file itself must be available.

If files automatically copied to hard drives there would be gigantic security concerns with using them. Files opened from external sources stay on the external source unless you copy them to the computers hard drive.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I downloaded UM Player. From Cnet. Freeware. I did notice it did record the file name. But wouldn't open. This was after I disconnected mthe usb wire. This program you offered would erase tiles and all history?

I personally have never used UM player. I did a quick search and did not find anyway to delete UM player history.

If you are really worried just uninstall UM player, if you need it again you can always reinstall that or another player fresh.

To uninstall go to control panel and choose uninstall a program under programs.

The cleaner I gave you removes all history from within windows, so web browsing, recently viewed documents etc...

I do not know if it will clear that UM player history as I have never tried.

Like I said though if you are really worried then the quickest solution is just to uninstall UM player.

If you need further help please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I went into the sd device and deleted there. All I saw in UM player was the file name and it offered a delete option.

Ok then you are all set.

The file did not copy to the hard drive unless you dragged it off the SD card. It would have just played from the SD card itself.