Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have a micro usb to usb when I plug it in nothing happens

I have a micro usb to usb when I plug it in nothing happens even with a memory stick connected I am using a nexus 10. I am sure there is a very simple answer for this and dont want to be ripped off moneywise
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Michelle :

Open the printer and remove all cartridges, and make sure all pre-packaged taping has been taken off them. Sharply unplug the printer from the wall outlet while it is still on, and disconnect all cables from the back of the printer. Using a moist cloth wipe of the inside of the printer where the cartridges sit. Look for any copper contacts on the ink cartridges or inside the printer where the ink cartridges fit, if you see any, wipe them off with a q-tip dampened in hot water. Do this until no ink comes off on the q-tips.

Michelle :

Hi this is Michelle please ignore the answer which is posted accidently

Michelle :

Hi are you able to use other usb device on the same computer which is not able to recognise the nexus 10 usb stick

Customer:

I am not using a computer I am using a nexus 10 Tablet 2 weeks old when I use the micro port on the nexus nothing happens

Michelle :

There are two ports on the nexus 10 hdmi and microusb.

Michelle :

what are you trying to connect to the port please give me some more details.

Customer:

A memory stick

Customer:

I am trying to connect a normal memory stick to a nexus 10 usb outlet

Michelle :

when you connect the charger to the same port do the tablet gets charged fine?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

P.S. I thought I was supposed t

Customer:

be talking t

Customer:

an expert

Customer:

If I am spending money for this answer I do not expect the ace to go off Line every time I send an answer

Customer:

This prolonged answer is getting very irritating

Customer:

This conversation took place at 1.02pm which you in advertidly acknowledged and gave me an answer for a printer error which has nothing to do with my question but you seemed to maintain you could find an answer and the time is now 6.59pm what the hell is going on

Customer:

your service as an expert has a lot to be desired

Customer:

Can you please just shut this enquiry down and get my money refunded as I thought you were totaly useless

Michelle :

i will let the question open to other experts as i am having internet connection challenge at my end and i apologize for the situation.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
what are you trying to use the memory for ?

the nexxus does not automatically pick it up

There are some apps which will allow you to mount it as a storage drive such as stickmount https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.stickmount&hl=en

That only works if the nexxus is rooted. and they are working on issues with android 4.1

Other options are the media importer app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer&hl=en

which lets you import photos etc from a usb flash drive

You can also go to settings / storage and switch from mtp to ptp which allows you to use the flash storage.

You also need the correct cable It has to do otg to usb and be certified for the nexxus such as this one from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GGBYJ4/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Robert M., Consultant
Experience: 30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already have otg cable problem is how to get tab to recognise it

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
yes try using the app above or switching the storage type to ptp

then the app should allow you to view the usb and import things from it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What app would that be as I;m not very good with computers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do I down load these apps

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
you should be able to go to the google store on the nexxus and search for them and it will have a download button. they may cost a couple of dollars but not much i think under 5 bucks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi I have downloaded what you asked I put stick and it ask me to use stick mount when I open this page what do I save on this page

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
can you be more specific ? did you download the app ? it should come up on the main page of the nexxus and you can touch it to load the app and that should allow you to see what is on the usb drive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when I put the stick in nothing happens I have to click stickmount which comes up with headings which are stickmount pro as I down loaded this then

mounts

options

language

notifications

my apps

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
click on mount. You probably have to mount it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I mount it after I have pressed mount

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
it should give you a choice of what to mount and there is a media scan button there as well.

it should also show a notification on the status bar on top that might be helpful to show what is there.

have you got pictures on the usb drive. They may just show up in the gallery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

AllI am getting in the mount is service is busy try in a few seconds been getting nowhere sorry for the delay I know its not your fault

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

still getting the same message busy sorry I cant do anything else

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
well i said that app had some issues with the new droid system.

try downloading Nexus Media Importer from Play Store

that should automatically pop up a message saying what is on the usb stick and what do you want to do with it when you plug in the usb stick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay I am getting my usb recognised but it cannot find an app to handle it as a stream

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
what are you trying to play. that app works for pictures but for something like a dvd movie there is an involved process for getting the movie on the flash drive and then you need a special app to play dvd content
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What Type of app do I need for a movie

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.
It depends what sort of movie. the nexus will play mp4 movies but not dvd's. You have to convert the dvd to mp4 format on the computer before you put it on the usb drive for the nexxus. There are a few programs that will do it but all of them cost money.

this page has step by step instructions for doing using the dvd shrink program
http://www.nexus7nexus10.com/forum/nexus-10-discussions/2943-watching-media-files-via-usb.html

the dvd shrink program is actually free and available on this page
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/copy_dvd/dvd_shrink.cfm

There are others that cost more like 50 plus dollars.
Robert M., Consultant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but I have to go now but You Have been very helpful and understanding I will pay the fee even though I have not tried it yet at least it recognises the usb I have been trying for 11 hours now just to get this far.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you very much. If you want to follow up when you have more time I can work on it with you some more sometime in the future. Just add this page to your favorates list by hitting ctrl D or follow the link the site sends you.

Or you can always post a question directly to me by putting "FOR ROBMARK" in the beginning of the question