Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors

I have bought d620 emachine laptop running vistahome 2nd hand

Customer Question

I have bought d620 emachine laptop running vistahome 2nd hand store .computor is freezing up can not get into f2setup has password XXXXX do not know what it is have no way to get it can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Michelle :

Hi this is Michelle and i will be assisting you.

Michelle :

please let me know that is it the computer power on password or windows login password

Michelle :

are you able to login to windows

Michelle :

if you wish to rollback to factory settings please try the below steps

Michelle :
  1. Restart the computer
  2. When the eMachines logo appears on the screen, press the Alt and F10 keys repeatedly.
  3. When prompted with a boot screen, hit the Enter key.
  4. After the system recovery program has loaded, follow the prompts to reinstall the operating system.
Michelle :

let me know if you are able to load the recovery or not

Customer :

ok I am Janice thankyou for trying to help me password on computor I can bypass there is a guest I have logged into setup at F2 . I donot have a password I can not bypass need to install or reset to factory settings can this be bypassed or reset?

Michelle :

did you try the recovery steps i gave above

Michelle :
  1. Restart the computer
Customer :

Michelle no tried this will not go into factory reset

Michelle :

ok...restart and tap the f8 key

Michelle :

in the advanced menu select safe mode with networking and press enter

Michelle :

let me know if you are able to reach the safe mode desktop or not

Customer :

ok

Customer :

loading

Michelle :

ok

Customer :

almost there

Michelle :

ok

Customer :

ok re

Michelle :

so did you reach the desktop

Customer :

ok ready

Michelle :

ok great

Michelle :

now before i give you any steps, please let me know that were you getting any errors on computer as well or just the freezeup and system slow issue

Customer :

yes asking for me to backup files but i can not it freezes up

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

lets get started

Michelle :

please open internet explorer

Michelle :

in the address bar type the below link

Michelle :

let me know once you have the bleeping computer page open

Customer :

no

Michelle :

is the problem computer connected to internet

Michelle :

the emachine laptop i mean

Michelle :

there is another workaround...open this link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/ on this computer on which we are chatting..download and save the file..now copy the file to flash drive and then transfer to emachine laptop..once done double click on the combofix file to run it

Customer :

no I can not do not have my network setup can not get that far to setup can i link from this computer ?

Michelle :

do you have a flash drive

Michelle :

you can download the file on this computer..copy to flash drive...then transfer from flash drive to emachine laptop

Michelle :

let me know if you are able to do so

Customer :

I have another laptop I will

Michelle :

ok

Michelle :

let me know if you face any difficulty in downloading or transferring the file

Michelle :

please ensure that you do not run the combofix file on the laptop on which you are downloading..need to run it only on emachine laptop

Customer :

loaded combombofix file into my emachine then I was able to starte recovery back to factory settings had to do this several times until it went about 90% asked for install disk do not have the files on recovery to completly install where can I go from here to finish this? you have gotten me this far an I thankyou for this hoping we can get it up an running

Customer :

Sorry it is so late getting back to you I had been up all night an feel asleep when setup was running

Michelle :

no problems..good to know that there was some progress

Michelle :

if the recovery did not work that means that there could be a corruption on the recovery patition

Michelle :

so you will have to order a new set of recovery discs for the laptop...

Michelle :

you may do so from below link

Michelle :

once you get the discs, need to follow below steps

Michelle :

insert the recovery disc..restart computer and tap the f12 key

Michelle :

select cd\dvd drive option

Michelle :

press enter

Michelle :

computer will restart and you will get a message"press any key to boot from cd"

Michelle :

press enter as soon as you see the message

Michelle :

the recovery disc will load from where you can restore back to factory settings

Michelle :

once restored the laptop will be like new

Michelle :

let me know if you face any difficulty

Michelle :

you may rate the chat with a smiley below if you are satisfied with my support and answer

Customer : will this work with win7 install disk ?
Michelle :

with windows 7 install disc we can do a clean format install

Michelle :

but after that you will have to download all drivers and softwares seperatley or install them from discs

Michelle :

recovery discs come with all the drivers and software loaded together

Michelle :

let me know if you have any questions

Michelle :

Customer :

will talk to you on mon. taking a day off will let u know on progress getting a disk

Customer :

went back to work on emachine it is now up an running thankyou for all of
your help I do not think
I would have been able too get this done without your help

Michelle :

Please rate the chat with smiley below if the information you got from me was helpful; else in case the above information was not helpful,instead of rating bad or poor please let me know so that i may assist you further on the issue.

Customer : want to setup my webcam on the emachine I have the disk and cam packagetried to run disk but I do not want all the extra things just to be able touse the webcam right not sure what to load the cam is GEMiniCam for win.2000,XP.Vista&win.7 98650rev.2 JC
Michelle : let me know what time you will be online today and tomorrow along with your timezone and i will help you in installing the cam