Joshua C.
Joshua C., PC Technician
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician with over 10 years of experience.
18519760

Im trying to get my dads XP laptop to open with IE or firefox.

I'm trying to get my dads XP laptop to open with IE or firefox. The message:
Microsoft visual C+ Runtime immediately comes up and blocks me opening the internet with our wireless
(Program: C:\Programfiles\InternetExplorer\iexplorer.exe
Help???

Joshua C. :

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you today

Joshua C. :

To correct the issue that you are experiencing on your Dad's laptop you will need a way to transfer files to the laptop

Joshua C. :

I suggest using a USB memory stick if you have one

Joshua C. :

or burn the files to a blank cd using your desktop and then transfer the files I am going to link you to

Joshua C. :

To correct the C+ runtime error download the following file from microsoft and transfer it to your dad's laptop

Joshua C. :

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

Joshua C. :

You will also want to download Windows XP SP3 and install it (if your dad hasn't already)

Joshua C. :

Install the two files I linked above on your dad's laptop and then try running IE or FireFox

Joshua C. :

The problem should be resolved after installing the two files I linked you to

Customer:

I got the 1st download copied/transferred. Trying to do the 2nd.....I just turned computer off....restart....I hope it works! It's almost 3am....I've got to get up at 7am.....tomorrow will have to finish. So far, still getting run time message. Can we chat tomorrow? I am not willing to pay the full amount until my laptop is fixed. OK?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below and I will be happy to assist you.

I will be online tomorrow and able to assist you further if the issue is still occurring after updating the laptop using the files I supplied.
Hi Jeanette,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Joshua C