Hans Uebelhoer
Hans Uebelhoer, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Associates in Computer Sciences ; Cisco Product Expert.
29701876

Hi I have a problem with windows xp loading on. We played

Hi I have a problem with windows xp loading on. We played a music CD for our grandson last weekend. My husband shut the computer down leaving the CD in. I switched on the computer later and realising the CD was still in, pressed the eject button and took the CD out before windows actually installed. Since then, I have been unable to start up the computer. I have tried all the options - start windows normally - Safe Mode with Command ... - safe mode with networking - safe mode. None have worked. I am getting very anxious as I need to get my computer going. Can someone please HELP??!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Hans Uebelhoer replied 1 year ago.

Hans Uebelhoer :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today. Please let me know when you are ready to start.

Hans Uebelhoer :

Please do the following

Hans Uebelhoer :

1. Turn off that computer

Hans Uebelhoer :

2. Remove the battery (if a laptop)

Hans Uebelhoer :

3. Remove the power cable (if a desktop of laptop)

Hans Uebelhoer :

remove any other devices that are connected to the computer

Hans Uebelhoer :

5. Once all that is done hold the power button down for 2 full minutes

Hans Uebelhoer :

6. Re connect the battery (if a laptop) and the power cable

Hans Uebelhoer :

7. Try to start up normally

Customer:

Hi Hans

Customer:

I am doni

Hans Uebelhoer :

Hi

Hans Uebelhoer :

so from your question I see your having trouble starting up your windows xp computer

Hans Uebelhoer :

did you see my above steps to try

Customer:

I am doing as instructed - will advise once all is done. in the process of disconnecting my monitor. Sorry to have taken so long - followed your instruction, and turned the computer to have the same problem - not installing properly looping over and over again. I currently have my computer connected to a powerboard as a slave with the monitor and my desk lamp as the master. I will try your steps again and plug the computer to mains power instead

Customer:

it did not work. what do I do next? is there something else I can do? should I take my computer to a tech shop?

Customer:

Help!!!

Hans Uebelhoer :

Ok, so what will need to be done is a windows XP disk will need to be put into the computer, and the windows OS repaired

Hans Uebelhoer :

do you have the windows XP disk

Customer:

I found one still sealed with service pack 2 included. I checked the label on the computer and the serial number corresponds with the number on the label on packaging of the disc. what do I do next?

Hans Uebelhoer :

ok there are quite a few steps involved and I could type them all out but please go to this page and follow the steps to repair xp CLICK HERE

Hans Uebelhoer :

Be sure to follow the steps the repair xp do not reinstall xp

Customer:

OK, thanks - will let you know how I go.

Hans Uebelhoer :

ok let me know if you have any trouble

Customer:

I followed the instructions on the screen . I got to the Setup where it states to repair a windows xp installation using recovery console press R - I did. Now I have a C:\> prompt and I don't know what to do next

Hans Uebelhoer :

OK so once you pressed R it did not repair

Hans Uebelhoer :

it just gives you a C prompt

Hans Uebelhoer :

are you using a SATA drive

Customer:

correct. I cannot remember. How do I find out?

Hans Uebelhoer :

well, we would either need to remove the drive or load windows to find out. restart and follow the steps again but this time once you load from the disk you will see an option to press F6 to load drivers

Hans Uebelhoer :

this time use F6 and then proceed

Customer:

will I lose my data. I have not done a backup for a while and am particularly concerned about some work I have been doing for our car club website.

Hans Uebelhoer :

no you wont loose any data loading those drivers or repairing XP

Customer:

ok - so do I just turn off the computer with the CD in it and turn it on again??

Hans Uebelhoer :

yes

Hans Uebelhoer :

but use F6 at the point during the steps that it recommends

Hans Uebelhoer :

If you still are not able to repair windows after using F6 we likely have a hardware issue

Hans Uebelhoer :

in which case you can have a shop remove the data off the drive

Customer:

Hans I am back at the Welcome to Setup - I have 2 options

Customer:

set up windows xp now, press enter or Option 2: to repair a windows xp installation using recovery console press R. by the way, I did press F6 and I saw stuff loading at the bottom of the screen.

Hans Uebelhoer :

ok great now press R

Hans Uebelhoer :

and see if it will load

Customer:

well something was happening but I have got the same message again
The recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery console and restart the computer.
C:\>

Hans Uebelhoer :

ok type exit

Hans Uebelhoer :

then hit enter

Customer:

did that - got press any key to boot CD and then had the usual spiel about loading in either safe mode etc and then tries to load Windows. The same loop.

Customer:

Does this mean that I will need to take the computer to a computer shop. Should I take the CD out and hand it over to the tech

Hans Uebelhoer :

Ok, so if the repair is not working, the only choice we have is to either re install windows (which would wipe your drive) or you can take it to a shop and have them backup your drive and extract all you data off

Hans Uebelhoer :

they will likely have to replace your drive

Hans Uebelhoer :

but they should be able to save all your data

Customer:

ok. have removed CD and will drop my computer into a shop for them to look at and fix - no probs with having the drive replace as long as I can get my computer fixed and up and running again

Hans Uebelhoer :

they should have no issues getting the computer up and running they will need to replae the hard drive and transfer you data over

Customer:

Thanks very much for your help, Hans

Hans Uebelhoer :

Your very welcome. If you need anything else feel free to let me know. You will get an email once were done and you can reply to that if you need anything

Hans Uebelhoer :

It was very nice working with you today, please make sure that you use the ratings system (Smiley Faces or Stars) to rate how my service was. Have a great night!

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you too

Hans Uebelhoer, Computer Specialist
Experience: Associates in Computer Sciences ; Cisco Product Expert.