Joshua C.
Joshua C., PC Technician
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician with over 10 years of experience.

I have a dell computer that starts and shutsdown after 5 minutes.Ran

Customer Question

I have a dell computer that starts and shutsdown after 5 minutes.Ran Norton security for virus and malware and nothing showed up.I then left it in bios and and computer stayed on after 15 minutes. No hardware problems.My computer will not stay on in safemode networking.I bought a new ac power adapter same problems.My battery is showing 6 percent charge.I was able only to run Norton in safe mode.Please advise what else I can do?
Thank you
XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Computer
Expert:  Joshua C. replied 1 year ago.

Joshua C. :

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you today

Joshua C. :

When your computer turns off does it show any errors?

Customer :

no

Joshua C. :

It just turns off

Customer :

restarts after 15 minutes

Joshua C. :

So after 5 minutes it turns off and then after 15 minutes it turns back on?

Customer :

Does same in safemode networking turns off after 2 minutes.

Customer :

no restarts immediately.

Joshua C. :

It sounds like your computer is set to automatically reboot when an error occurs

Customer :

Dell laptop window xp os

Joshua C. :

We will want to disable that option so the error can be viewed before restarting

Customer :

ok

Joshua C. :

To change the reboot setting you will want to open the computers control panel

Joshua C. :

In the control panel you will want to click on System

Joshua C. :

Then the Advanced tab

Customer :

Do you want me to go in safe mode?

Joshua C. :

no you can do this in normal windows if the computer will stay on long enough

Customer :

We will try.

Joshua C. :

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Tab -> Startup and Recovery Settings -> Uncheck Automatically Restart

Customer :

automatic restart is already unchecked.

Joshua C. :

Ok then if its the system rebooting its not a system error causing it

Customer :

So that is not the problem.

Joshua C. :

What I would suggest doing is downloading the ultimate boot cd and running checks on your CPU, Memory and Hard Drive

Joshua C. :

You will need a cd burner and a blank cd to create the boot cd

Joshua C. :

This will help assist in making sure the hardware does not have an issue that is causing the reboot

Customer :

I can't because my computer will not stay on long enough to dowload.I will try.

Joshua C. :

You can download it on another computer

Customer :

yes

Joshua C. :

Or a friends, family, coworker computer

Customer :

I am on my desktop chatting with you now.

Customer :

My laptop is the problem.

Joshua C. :

Download the ultimatebootcd on your desktop and burn it to a cd using the steps listed on the website

Joshua C. :

The download page for the ultimatebootcd is http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Customer :

Will this solve the problem?

Joshua C. :

It will assist in determining if the issue is hardware related

Joshua C. :

If the tests finds that the CPU, Memory or Hard Drive is the issue you would need to resolve the hardware issue to resolve the rebooting

Customer :

ok

Joshua C. :

If the tests all pass then the next step is to check the programs on the laptop to see if they are causing the issue

Joshua C. :

If the computer has been used for a long time (years) without a reinstall of windows the easy fix would be to reinstall a fresh copy of windows to make sure all system files and programs are installed without any errors

Customer :

So what do you want to do first?

Joshua C. :

I would suggest running the ultimate boot cd and doing the cpu test first

Joshua C. :

Then test the memory

Joshua C. :

and then the hard drive

Joshua C. :

If they all pass the next thing I would do if it was my computer would be to reinstall windows to save on time poking around trying to find the one specific file the is causing the issue

Joshua C. :

The reason I say this is because the error occurs even in safe mode

Joshua C. :

When you boot into safe mode windows doesnt load all the programs or drivers for your laptop

Joshua C. :

It only loads the ones specifically needed for windows to run

Joshua C. :

And if the reboot still happens then its either related to hardware failure (heat, damage etc.) or part of the system coding

Joshua C. :

As you have already replaced the AC adapter and the battery I can rule out power related issues

Joshua C. :

Which leaves CPU (Motherboard issues), memory or hard drive

Customer :

Can you send me all this info toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Joshua C. :

I am unable to email customers directly

Joshua C. :

But

Customer :

I am going to burn cd now

Joshua C. :

I can provide you with a chat log in word and pdf

Joshua C. :

Also this information will always be available to you at http://www.justanswer.com/computer/7r45w-dell-computer-starts-shutsdown-minutes-ran.html

Joshua C. :

Even after your question is marked answered you can always come back (for free) and view the responses I provided and even ask me additional information about this question

Customer :

ok

Customer :

getting a warning this is not a good file.

Joshua C. :

A warning from which program?

Joshua C. :

A warning from your anti-virus software, your cd burning software or a different program?

Joshua C. :

the ubcd523.iso file is safe and can be burned using standard cd burning software

Joshua C. :

You might want to try using a different burning software if yours is not working

Joshua C. :

I suggest the free program named imgburn

Joshua C. :

It can be downloaded at: http://imgburn.com/

Joshua C. :

And a guide for using imgburn to burn the iso file for the ultimagebootcd can be viewed at:

Joshua C. :

I'm still online and available to assist

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 1 year ago.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below and I will be happy to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I kept contacting my expert but three times no response.
Expert:  Joshua C. replied 1 year ago.
I'm still online and available to assist you, it appears that due to a system issue with JustAnswer we did not get any of your previous responses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Joshua my desktop will not dowload ultimateboot cd and y lapto will not atay on long enough to download.Also my xp cd is an older version than one one on my computer.

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 1 year ago.
What error do you get when you attempt to download the ultimate boot cd iso file?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

let me try again than I will give you the answer

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Installer alert

Expert:  Joshua C. replied 1 year ago.
The file you download for the ultimate boot cd is an ISO file that must be burned to a blank CD.

Read the FAQ for the Ultimatebootcd is answers how to use the ISO file.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/faq.html