Chris
Chris, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  I have been running a retail Information Technology department for 8 years and working in IT for 13 years.
45592864

Hello, Can you help me solve a BIOHD-5 and BIOHD-8 issue

Customer Question

Can you help me solve a BIOHD-5 and
BIOHD-8 issue with my HP Pavilion a6582i desktop? I am running Vista Ultimate and this is my third HDD, I am going crazy!!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Customer:

Hello

Customer:

My name is Chris

Customer:

How are you doing today?

Customer:

Can you tell me what kind of hard drive you are using? The common problems with this error is the combination of the power supply and seagate hard drives.

Customer:

The actual error refers to bad hardware in the hard drive, but the faulty power supply is what causes you to keep burning through hard drives.

Customer:

How old is it?

Customer :

Hi Chris... The HDD is indeed a Seagate. I actually have two Seagate HDDs installed but only the one with the operating system goes bad regularly... This last one is about six months old!! I do admit to have poor power quality here (in Madagascar!!)

Customer:

Ok, what you're gonna need to do is swap power supplied

Customer:

supplies*

Customer:

before you do anything else, or you are going to keep cooking hard drives

Customer:

I would also grab a cheap UPS system

Customer:

so that your machine doesn't take surges

Customer:

it's a battery back up

Customer:

and if you have a power glitch, your computer won't feel it

Customer :

I do have the whole damn thing going through a huge APC UPS, but I didn't before so perhaps the power supply is indeed damaged...

Customer:

This is actually a common problem with those hp computers, and that is the best way to prevent it

Customer:

APC is good

Customer :

OK, tell me more about switching power supplies

Customer:

it's very simple

Customer:

you unscrew it, and unplug it from your board connection, your hard drive, your cd drive (if present)

Customer:

let me see which one you need

Customer :

unscrew what? I assume you mean the power supply, but I'm not sure what it looks like!

Customer:

yes

Customer:

there are four screws in it

Customer:

almost in a square if you look at the back of the tower

Customer :

But where is it and what does it look like?

Customer:

the power supply is a little box inside the machine

Customer :

So I should power down the desktop then before trying anything huh?

Customer:

that your power cord hooks too

Customer:

yes

Customer:

don't do it with the power on

Customer :

Asking that becasue I am right now trying to repair using the original windows CD

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

that is what the power supply looks like from the back of the computer

Customer :

Should I interrupt and shut down?

Customer:

that whole metal box comes out of the machine

Customer:

I would, it isn't going to install

Customer:

you have a bad hard drive error

Customer :

OK, I got it, give me a couple of minutes to shut down and unplug the desktop...

Customer:

What are you planning to do?

Customer:

Do you have another power supply and hard drive on hand?

Customer :

Nope!

Customer:

well that is what you are going to need

Customer:

I would order both since the error is indicating hard drive damage

Customer:

even if you somehow get it to install, it will crash

Customer:

you need a 300 watt atx power supply and a hard drive

Customer :

Oops...I figured that much but in terms of diagnostics, what can you help me with? Are you 110% sure it is the power supply AND HDD that are bad?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

I am 100% sure about the hard drive

Customer:

and 99% sure the power supply is causing it

Customer :

OK, then what happens now?

Customer:

You need to order the parts.

Customer:

I can point you in the right direction for them

Customer:

Do you have a pc shop in your town?

Customer :

How do I know this is thr right fix? Sorry, don't mean to be suspicious or anything but I deposited 48 bucks and want to make sure these two issues are really and completely fixed!! The previous two "helpers" had me buy new HDDs but this is now the third!!

Customer:

Well your satisfaction is guaranteed.

Customer:

If you rate me, and then you don't like the results... you ask for a refund

Customer:

but that isn't going to happen

Customer:

this will fix your machine

Customer:

I am sure the previous techs were right about the hard drive part

Customer:

but they didn't catch that the power supply is what was popping the hard drives

Customer:

I have a lot of PC experience. I run a 1000 user network and see this stuff a lot.

Customer :

OK. There are some PC shops in my town, which should have HDDs and power supplies. I also need tools no? anti static glove, tiny screwdrivers, and such?

Customer:

a phillips screw driver

Customer:

no glove, just ground yourself before you go reaching in there

Customer:

(touch metal)

Customer:

you can buy a static strap if you want to feel safer

Customer:

but i'm confident you will get it done

Customer :

This is my first time on "Just Answer" and that 48 bucks is almost a month's wages in these parts... Hence my being rather careful... Nothing personal.

Customer:

I understand

Customer:

I am also here to help

Customer:

so if you grab the parts and get stuck anywhere, I will continue to help

Customer:

Also understand, I am just an expert and have nothing to do with billing

Customer :

I appreciate that. So I will go and buy the parts tomorrow, how do I get back in touch with you?

Customer:

Come back to www.justanswer.com

Customer:

log in

Customer:

click My Questions

Customer:

and click on the question

Customer:

It will bring you back here

Customer:

I will get an email to join you

Customer :

Hell, I don't think I have an account!!

Customer:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/7r41d-hello-can-help-solve-biohd-5-biohd-8-issue.html

Customer:

bookmark that

Customer:

or go through your email

Customer :

I was just surfing for answers and stumbled upon the site, etc...

Customer :

OK, I'll do that

Customer:

After you get your parts...

Customer:

make sure you unplug the machine

Customer:

ground yourself

Customer :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX we can solve this because I have quite a bit of work in that desktop (also have a backup but not sure how to restore from the external HDD... newbie

Customer:

we'll get you going

Customer:

One word of advice for you...

Customer :

The machine is unplgged already and I'll get the parts. Any advice on the HDDs and power supply to buy?

Customer:

swap the power lines in the pc one at a time, so you don't forget where they go

Customer:

you need at least a 300w power supply

Customer:

and don't buy a seagate hard drive

Customer:

they have a habit of not working in that machine for long

Customer:

I would take the tower to the shop

Customer:

to make sure you get the right parts

Customer:

that way it's with you in the store

Customer :

what? not sure I understand the "swap the power lines in the PC one by one bit..." please clarify step by step, thanks

Customer:

do you have SATA hard drives or IDE?

Customer:

for instance

Customer:

when you unplug the power supply from your hard drive

Customer :

SATA, I think

Customer:

plug the exact same thing in on the new one with the new power supply

Customer:

or write it down as you pull the old ones off

Customer:

I just don't want you getting confused and missing something

Customer :

How exactly do I unplug the power supply from the HDDs (have two)?

Customer:

then your machine will not work when you power it back on

Customer:

it's a red, black and yellow cable I believe

Customer:

you can't miss it

Customer:

it goes from the metal box that is the power supply

Customer:

and branches out to each device

Customer :

There are a ton of wires going into the box where the power supply is located

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

you will be fine if you either document them

Customer:

or do them 1 by 1

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer :

OK, I see... It'l be clearer when I have unplugged the power supply and taken it out. Beter yet, I'll ask some guy at the store to do it... Just want to have a good idea as to the process in case it reappears later...

Customer:

ok

Customer:

if you get stuck, i'll help you

Customer:

it's really easy

Customer :

Yeah, I think i am familiar enough with what these things look like and I will of course make sure to note down every move... can never be too sure, especially when newbie...

Customer :

OK Chris, looks like we can leave it at that for tonight huh? It is midnight here now, where are you located?

Customer:

Colorado

Customer:

United States

Customer :

WOW... all the way around the glob from me!! MADAGASCAR

Customer:

yes

Customer:

looks like it

Customer :

I lived in Maryland for 3 years...

Customer:

I never been there. The closest I've been to there is New York City

Customer :

OK, I'll let you go now and catch up with you tomorrow after the install to make sure everything is OK and back to normal!! Thanks

Customer:

No Problem

Customer:

Have a good night

Customer :

Same to you. Bye! Do I rate now or wait until the whole ting is fixed?

Customer:

You can do either.

Customer:

I will still help regardless

Customer:

I prefer to wait til tomorrow though

Customer:

if that is ok with you

Customer :

save & exit I guess huh? Thanks

Chris, Information Systems Manager
Experience: I have been running a retail Information Technology department for 8 years and working in IT for 13 years.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Jean-Louis,

I am still here to help after you get your parts tomorrow. Please give me an update after you have gotten back from the shop.

Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Chris,

I forgot that we had planned to go out of town for a family picnic, thus, I was not able to purchase the power supply and HDD today. I will do this on monday as stores are closed here on sundays...

I'll get back to you for further guidance when I have the replacement parts on hand.

Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. Have fun!

Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Chris,

First of all, sorry for not responding to you a couple of weeks ago. I put in my evaluation and thought it was OK... I perhaps did this too early as my computer, with the NEW HDD and power supply is again showing BIOHD-8, after working fine for a couple of weeks!!!

Disaster has struck again!!

I am writing you from the computer as it still functions, but from time to time, it freezes for 30 seconds before working again. I ran the usual diagnostics and lo and behold... the damn BIOHD-8 is showing for the NEW HDD.

I have of course made a full backup of my computer onto the second HDD which is so far NOT affected, as well as on an external HDD.

What's going on? I am reading on the forums that this is an HP glitch probably at the mother board level... Could this be true?

Please help!!

Regards,

Jean-Louis

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Jean-Louis,

Sorry to hear you are having issues again. I will look into this and respond a little bit later. Thanks.

Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chris,
The link you provide concerns the
"HP Pavilion Slimline s3621uk Desktop PC Drivers & Downloads"
which is NOT my computer!

Mine is the Pavilion a6582I, bought in Thailand.
Product # XXXXX Serial # XXXXX

I have downloaded the indicated fix, but have NOT run it yet, in case it doesn't apply to MY desktop. Please confirm.

Thanks,

JL
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
It is an operating system piece of software and not hardware specific. Go ahead and run it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chris!
I ran the "Hardware Diagnostic Tools" and, of course, during the HDD Tests - the main disk (new one) is showing:
"SMART Short Self Test = failed" - "HD521-2W"
The remaining tests passed.

What to do now?

Regards,
Jean-Louis
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Did you restart the machine and run the diagnostic again? I would like to see the results of that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to do that right now and will get back to you immediately!

JLR
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am trying to do all I can before we declare this a motherboard problem. I saw the forums and what you were talking about, but this also fixed a lot of the same problem too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,

I restarted the computer and ran the test again. Same error showing : SMART Short Self Test = failed / HD521-2W

I also ran he mother board test and it passed every test there.

JLR
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Jean-Louis, We know the hard drive is good. You just replaced it. However, I don't want to see it get burned up by a bad motherboard. It's up to you where you want to go from here, but I am not sure I would throw a bunch more money at this pc. Would you like me to price mother boards?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris, I understand this and am really PO'ed at HP for making as if this issue is all about faulty HDDs... Clearly, it is NOT. (that's three HDDs, and a power supply later... at full price!)

In any case, you're probably right, this desktop is older and while it suited me fine up until now, I don't see any point at throwing much more money into it, unless it is small money that will fix the issue 110%.

What mother board do you recommend would be most suitable for my setup,with a little room to grow...

In fact, I have two laptops, one of which is brand new (Samsung NP900X4D). I think I had better just work from this one using my 27" LED screen, wireless keyboard, and external storage (1TB) (it only has a 256GB SSD)...

Still, the desktop is still good and I am not quite ready to dump it... Perhaps it may be a good idea to turn it into a media center? JLR
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to what I believe to be the specs on your machine. Can you verify this for me so that I find you the right board? I wouldn't use this machine for anything to productive. A media center would be fine. I am sorry you are having this much trouble. HP is all over the place with their troubleshooting and it's really difficult when they aren't straight forward with information to diagnose all of this. I'm not too sure that short of that error, that you are going to have problems and should throw more money at it. Take a look at those specs and let me know please.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00363478
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what I found under "device information - system board":

Chipset : nVidia MCP73
Manufacturer: FOXCONN
Product: Napa
Version: HP P/N
Serial number: ULSL82006422

No sure how to read the info in the link you provided in order to compare, but they don't seem to be the same...??
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Jean-Louis,

Here is a list of those boards and where you can buy them. Looks like $185 new and $120 used. I personally would not buy a used board. I think you will run into the same issues.

https://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_find.asp?pid=140514&
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Geez, how do I determine which one fits my exact system? Or does that matter?

Can anyone guarantee I will NOT run into the same issue?

What can I do to get HP to acknowledge the issue, and at the very least, support my efforts to rehabilitate this computer?
(via technical support for example)

I have never replaced a mother board before...not sure I want to get into this at this point. I am in MADAGASCAR!! Just getting the damn thing will be a major hassle...
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
I sent you to the exact one for your system. Here it is again. Sorry for that.

I personally wouldn't spend the money on it. I can't give you 100% certainty that you won't run into the same issue again. I would use it like it is until it dies, not store any critical data on it, and then chuck it after that happens. You can buy a new tower for a couple hundred bucks and not use this thing anymore. That is just my opinion though, and you can do as you like.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am so pissed... I want to know the truth about this issue that so many owners of HP Pavilion desktops have run into!

It seems such a pity to have to consider chucking a whole computer where only one stupid HDD test fails...

I read somewhere that one could possibly disable the SMART feature, would that help? How would one do this? I tried to got to BIOS but there is no option for disabling there...

JLR
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
control panel\administrative tools\computer management\services and applications\services

Find "Smart Card" in the services list and open it.

You can then enable, or disable smart softwareLike I said a bit ago, we know your hdd is fine. So this should be a fine work around for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chris,

I followed your instructions and found two items:

1. Smart Card -- "Manages access to smart cards read by this computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will be unable to read smart cards. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start." It is currently NOT started!

2. Smart Card Removal Policy -- "Allows the system to be configured to lock the user desktop upon smart card removal." It is also NOT started.

Both are NOT disabled, but NOT Started either - they are in "manual" mode. Should I switch either/both to "disabled"?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
If they aren't running, they can't be your issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I thought...

I guess they have nothing to do with the SMART Tests that continually fail?

What now?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Give me a bit to do some research. I will try to find more on a permanent remedy if there is such a thing. I would also go through your device manager and see if there is an update for the chipset by using update driver. Let me know if there is one and if it takes it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got to the device manager but not sure where to look for the "chipset update" you indicate.

Please take me through each step...
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
You need to extend the processor area in there and if you see a motherboard one. You click on the device and click update driver
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Having expanded "processors", I only see the CPU Quad processors x 4...

No mention of mother board...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No mention of mother board...

I do see a "System devices" with tons of items when expanded... Looking through in case;;;

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Update anything you can in there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doing just that... so far, everything is up to date... no mention of mother board or anything similar though...

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
It can also be the hard drive controller. Not just the motherboard. I just want to make sure all of it is up to date.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Getting late here... gotta go to bed. Will finish checking on all drivers tomorrow and shall get back to you then.

Thanks Chris, I really want to find a solution, this is driving me crazy!!

JL

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
I will do my best to help. Have a good night Jean_Louis.