Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.
62669195

My computer is slow. It starts up slow too, and when you start

Customer Question

My computer is slow. It starts up slow too, and when you start it, it brings you to this black page that says hard drive failure is imminent.. i always just push f2 to get it to continue. it's been doing that over a year. i would like to get my computer back to running quickly and efficiently.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Jeremy, I would like to assist you with your question. I am an expert here on JustAnswer.com in the computer field.

How are you doing today?

It sounds like the hard drive may be going bad causing it to have issues reading off the drive itself. I do recommend backing up your data as soon as possible. If you let me know the make and model number of the computer I can provide you with the information you need to replace the hard drive and where to obtain the discs to re-install the operating system.

There may be another thing you can do to help speed it up a little, but in no way would it be a permanent fix.

What you can do is disable un-needed start up items so the hard drive does not need to load them

To do that.

First add our chat to your favorites.

Once you have our chat saved to your favorites

Hold the Windows Key (Looks like a flag on the keyboard) and press r

In the Runbox type msconfig and push enter

Click the Startup Tab

Press Disable ALL

Press Apply

Click on the Services Tab.

Check the box to "Hide Microsoft Items"

Click Disable All once again

Press Apply and OK

Reboot the computer.

After the computer has rebooted return to our chat.

This will prevent all the clutter from turning on and should hopefully extend the life a little longer on the drive itself.

If you have a moment don't forget to rate my help below (an excellent service rating is most appreciated)

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Also if you need any computer help in the future, you can return to this chat anytime day or night (I am online from 9am est until at least 11pm est every day of the week)

Thanks again for all you patience

Jeremy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

wow! that was frustrating. I did all that, but then when it restarted it was in safe mode, wouldn't connect to the internet, the start menu was gone. I just barely figured out how to get it back to where it was (I think.) I think I will just leave things as they are, thanks anyway.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all, If you ever want to resume I will be here for you in any way I can. So sorry you are having those issues. I know how frustrated it can be. It should let you rate my help below. Thank you again for everything.

Register Here