Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  25 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt

"For XXXXX XXXXXnigan. I need help configuring the sitemap.xml

"For XXXXX XXXXXnigan. I need help configuring the sitemap.xml files on my Wordpress Site".
Hello again.

I will work on doing the configutation and let you know when it's complete. What I will do is configure the sitemaps for Yoast for the various search engines and make sure they get submitted and are scuduled to submit on a regular basis.

Sorry... I did that by mistake. I am working on the configuration.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. I did that. What I did was import settings from other SEO packs so they are all together now. I left two XML Sitemap Generators - the one from Yoast and the one from Google (Google XML Sitemap Generator) - tested and they submitted fine.

I also set it up to ping Bing, Yahoo, Google, and Ask whenever the sitemap is updated so it will alert them to do an immediate update. Even if you don't update blog content, this will apply to comments, so it's good to have setup.

I'm going to take a fresh look and I will let you know what's next.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

don't know what the ping to Bing etc means thing means-pls explain.

Normally the search engines grab your xml site maps on a schedule. That will still happen. In addition to that, your WordPress installation will now alert those search engines to any change on your site so it can index it more quickly.

The key to getting the content indexed and keeping it indexed fully is to have a reasonable schedule set (for example, daily for posts, monthly for archives, etc) so that the search engines will respect the schedules you set up (they will choose to ignore them if, for example, you set your preferences to update all your site maps hourly because it's excessive). You can do that (which I have just done for you) and not risk having content un-indexed by using the ping functionality of the search engines. I will use an example to illustrate - I currently have your home page being indexed weekly. It will rarely change, so it doesn't need to be re-indexed constantly. However, if we did make a change to it today, Wordpress would alert Google, Bing, Yahoo, and Ask to the change so that the search "bots" will re-index the page as soon as they are available.

It seems silly that you would have to do both, but these are the nuances - the things that make it easiest for the search engines to give good search results on your existing content - that keeps it being valuable to them. Their servers, through some proprietary alogrithms determine that you have you s**t together and that you are playing by the rules, and your content gets ranked higher in organic search. That's part of what we're doing.

Next, I'm going to verify the site with Google Webmaster Tools, Bing Webmaster Tools, and Alexa. It's up to you whether you already have webmaster accounts with Google, Bing, and Alexa or want to create them, or if you want me to verify the site with my webmaster accounts for now. It doesn't stop you from verifying them later with your own accounts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you can verify the site. Did you put 'capcha' on the wordpress login page?

No, I did not. But the plugin is there already. Do you want it removed?

Suggested followup question for registrations...
For XXXXX XXXXXnigan. I need my Wordpress site verified with Google Webmaster Tools, Bing Webmaster Tools, and Alexa. Please add the code needed and proceed with the verifications

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

let me aks you 1st----could that prevent spam-bots from getting in to my email? one week ago I started getting 3-40 spams per day and they are coming through a form that is in wordpress .that was not on there before-I don't know how it got there. should i leave it for this reason?

Yes, it could, actually.

Where are you getting them from? Are them coming to you as feedback, or comments on posts? You do have Akismet installed which will stop the majority of SPAM, but CAPTCHA will help IF you have Wordpress setup to require users to be registered and logged in to leave a comment. You don't currently have it set up that way, however.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a form on the site for potential and existing clients to fill out to comes to my email. This does not require a password XXXXX log and to serve it's purpose has to be this way. The spam comes in on this form and appears in my email in box. I am hoping this can be resolved as it is driving me crazy & is escalating-and have gotten some since the captcha has been there. I am far more interested in getting the other stuff we are doing done and if you have any ideas about this spam problem I should make that another question.

You're right... let's do one thing at a time... for the registration with Bing, Google, and Alexa (actually, I'll do Norton Safe Site at the same time since it requires the same type of verification):
For Michael Hannigan. I need my Wordpress site verified with Google Webmaster Tools, Bing Webmaster Tools, and Alexa. Please add the code needed and proceed with the verifications
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok-will do. To be clear----I do not want it to be required to login to that form as that is the entry point for all of my business.

I understand. I wouldn't do that - I was only pointing out the configuration option because I thought when you mentioned CAPTCHA you were referring to people actually registering on the site. This mini-CAPTCHA is not something added separately, but part of the form plugin that you currently have. It's not something I would have even suggested changing for the very reason you mention.

We can look at changing the form plugin to one that can more effectively thwart SPAM, but we'll discuss that in more detail after the beasics are out of the way.

Albert, I also noticed, but forgot to mention, that you have your email address displayed on the page. That will lead to potentially a lot of spam independent of wordpress... just from the pages being scraped by spammers.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes---I have not yet thought through how potential clients would reach me w/o an email displayed as I don't want to post a tel # XXXXX get calls. Something as simple as putting 'Contact' instead? i don't know what to do.

You have the contact form, which is fine because it doesn't reveal your email. There are ways to deal with it, but that is its own topic we address separately. We have to get better at the process here. I can't address so many topics at the same time. I had your XML site maps configured before I responded at 3:58. Anything after that reply in this question (which represents the bulk of the discussion)I won't be compensated for. From your end I know it seems like a pain in the rear end, bit it's extremely important for me to be able to continue.

Did you open the followup question? I haven't seen it yet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I hear you----we need to make sure we are working on one question at a time & not let them overlap. I likely need to follow your lead on that. Much of the time I don't understand what you are doing and where it begins & ends. I want to move foreward as fast and efficient as possible & make sure I get the answers I want & you get paid. I am very happy with the process so far. Yes---I definitely want to address that form & how visitors are going to contact me---I will give you the details in a future (soon) question---that is a big deal for me & can help me accomplish several goals---if you are able to come up with something. I will accept this and submit the nxt question.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I submitted the Bing -Alexa question---which is a separate question and it said- 'you already submitted a similar question & the experts are-----'

That was mentioned----but only in reference to it being another question---not sure what to do.

Albert, I don't see that questioj at all. Was it a system message? Maybe you have to word it differently.
I need my Wordpress site verified with Google Webmaster Tools, Bing Webmaster Tools, and Alexa. Please add the code needed and proceed with the verifications. For XXXXX XXXXXnigan.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok--I have asked the next question.

Ok. I see it. I will grab it now.

Please remember to rate here. Thanks.