Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.
62669195

Sony VAIO wont load Says file: \system32\ntoskrnl.exe is

Sony VAIO won't load Says file: \system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt.To re-install copy. What do I do? Ihave put original Offfice CD in but no response.
Hi my name isXXXXX would like to assist you with your question. I am an expert here on JustAnswer.com in the computer field.

How are you doing today?

It sounds like your Windows operating system has become corrupt. Does it let you into safe mode? (To get into Safe mode you turn the Sony on, rapidly tap F8 on the keyboard until the boot menu appears. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode then push enter) ?

Most of the time when this happens you have to completely reload Windows on the computer. The Sony's have a built in recovery that will allow you to do this however it will restore it to how it came out of the box. Would that be okay to do?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi jeremy; I did as instructed. Got into safe mode. Long wait now back with same error message that file is corrupt. If it has internal memory of windows should I remove CD? and try again?

I tried again and selected "Last good configuration" but got same result looking for the Windows file. Can I download this file somewhere? (I only have disks for Office not the operating system)

Just got a call from my credit card company fraud protection saying they put a hold on this transaction and I will have to resubmit fee online. Sorry for this.

Thank you so much for your patience Ken. No worries on the payment hold I am more concerned about getting you up and running. I am here with you until we get this fixed so do not worry if we don't get it on the first try.

Can you boot back into safe mode.

Once in Safe mode Click then in the run box type in cmd then push enter

At the black screen (Command prompt)

Type in the following command then push enter

chkdsk C: /r

It will say cannot run in windows, run on next reboot type Y and push enter to confirm

Shut down the computer and turn it back on. Let me know if it boots up normally after chkdsk completes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In second line is something missing between"Click" and "then in the run box"?

Not getting any boxes to input the commands. Thanks, Ken

Gosh Ken I am sorry about that. I do not know how it got cut off.

Let me retype it.

Once in Safe mode Click the Start Button (bottom Left hand corner) and choose Run

In the run box type in cmd then push enter

At the black screen (Command prompt)

chkdsk C: /r

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bottom left hand button is Ctrl next is FN then the Windows FLAG logo. Have tried Flag button, FN and CTRL with no results.

The Start menu, sorry about the confusion. On XP it may look like this.

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not have access to this screen for the start up button.

Only a black screen with four lines of code that file is corrupted and there is no

ability to input commands.

I believe the computer is kaput

Thanks for all your help.

Please discontinue my membership. Ken