ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.
56108293

I have an hp window vista computer w a virus. This virus must

I have an hp window vista computer w a virus. This virus must have come from a porn site it is stating I violated laws and wants me to send it money thru a service at wl mart n other places. it has taken over the comp n wont let me on the internet or restore my copm. How can I get this off n dave my data ect?

ChrisC :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be happy to help you today!

ChrisC :

Ive been seeing this virus more and more lately unfortunately.

ChrisC :

You can get rid of it with 3 steps. I am going to give them all to you now.

ChrisC :

Heres what you want to do

ChrisC :

1: Boot the infected computer into safe mode WITH networking. Do this by turning it off and then back on. As soon as it comes on start tapping the F8 key. This will bring up an advanced boot menu.

ChrisC :

Choose safe mode with networking

ChrisC :

2: Once it is booted into safe mode with networking, go to malwarebytes.org and download the free version. Install it and do a full scan. Once the scan is done, click show results and make sure all of the check boxes are checked and click remove selected

ChrisC :

3: While the scan is happening, go to the start menu and choose all programs\ accessories\ run. In the run box type in "Msconfig" without the quoutes. Click the startup tab at the top and uncheck everything here except anything related to any antivirus program you may have runing. Click apply and ok.

ChrisC :

Once you are odne with step two and 3 just reboot and you should be good!

ChrisC :

Let me know if you have any questions.

ChrisC :

Otherwise please do rate my answer!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am running scan now. After this virus poped up I got a strange call on my cell phone saying my bank debit card has been suspended. And I should press 1 to reactivate. It came up as 944 on my caller ID. have u seen any identity theft related to these viruses. I have Microsoft security essentials on my computer now.

Yes I have seen this sort of thing. The virus probably got your number off of the computer. Id call your bank about it and definitely do not pay the "ransom" your computer is asking for or provide any personal info to anyone.
Any luck?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you it worked.

Should I restore to n earlier date/or do a non destructive reformat?

Or is this malware destroyed for good?

What type of malware/virus protection do u recommend? This got by Microsoft security essentials.

I will rate after u respond

I think you should be good after that scan.
I think security essentials is fine, however I would also recommend keeping Malwarebytes and doing a scan once a week. Thats what I do :)
Im glad its fixed