Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.
15852642

I have already gotten a great answer to this question but I

I have already gotten a great answer to this question but I am looking for a 2nd opinion.
My business email-yahoo is getting bombed with spam 100+ per day---how do I stop this-get away from these guys??
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello again, I just answered your stock photo question and have reviewed your conversation with Chris. I would have to agree with him. Yahoo is actually a haven for spammers right now.

Gmail automatically detects phishing and spam emails better compared to any other free provider. The only better option I could recommend is using an email client with a 3rd party spam blocker.

That solution will still work a lot better with gmail than with yahoo but is something to think about. Here is an example of one of those: Click Here If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok---re 'spam fighter' That appears to be for Microsoft products---I have a mac--& I am sure there is software for that.

I have had past misc problems with yahoo 'going down-crashing' so I Have all of my email pointed towards my gmail too & it is getting the identical spams the yahoo gets so I see no help from gmail I do this as I can't make a complete jump to gmail as all of my 'stuff' ---folders / contacts is in yahoo---I am stuck with this terrible email service.

.

What is an 'email client etc?'

I am still not getting why the solution is not to dump this address and open a new one.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Ok in that case I suggest using a client, for a mac I would recommend thunderbird from mac here: Click Here Then this for a spam filter: Click Here

As for not just dumping the address and opening a new one we assume you do not want to do that. That normally means you will either need to notify all your contacts or loose them and all emails. There is a service that can do that for you from here: Click Here

That is technically the best way but normally customers do not want to lose their email address and tell everyone of their contacts the new one. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please consider leaving a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok -lastly---I do also click on the 'spam' button when deleting them

***** Is it likely that I am doomed to receive spam from this 'company'---coming from the same source---but different companies / products or is this going to just go away at some point? I mean---they are locked in on me.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Probably not you yourself but your email address it sounds like is.
When you have a new address avoid filling out forms and things like that.

Polls, forms, email submits, are all used for this purpose.
They can be hidden pretty well as a free ebook, or sweepstakes entry.

What happens if those people then sell the email address to spammers.
The spammers use a bot program to automatically send emails out to these addresses.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sooooo-

1. ultimately the answer is that yes---I am likely permanently doomed.

2. The only 'real' answer is the change the email address------with the implication of dealing with my clients ---about the change

3.If I put the new address on my website it is fair game----to these bad guys?.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Unfortunately the answer is yes to all 3. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX could give you better news. You could put a contact us form on your site rather than your email address which should prevent it from happening that way again as it would not show your email address. It would only take their information and forward it to you, then you can decide whether or not to reply which should weed out spammers who got the address from your site. This is the type of form I am referring to: Click here
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok---you may be on to something. They are coming into a form I have on the site that has it's own address that then gets sent to the main address-which is where it shows up in the mail box---where I see them all. I hope I am explaining it right-this is how it looks-

on the navigation bar it has a link called--'Health History Form'-it brings them to the form---they fill it out & click on 'send.' Then it appears in my in box (the one that gets the spam) via another address of ours which is also 'copied' to the main address.

What if I were to change the 'internal' address-the one from the form to the main one? Does the 'cc' screw that up?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
That should still work, I would test it by filling it out once yourself to be 100% sure though just in case something unforeseen happens with it like an error message. Make sure it does not list the email address at all on the form, it should be like the one I mentioned before.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok---great service on both answers.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I am glad to hear it, please don't forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated. If you ever need my help again you can click on my name on this page to request me.
.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience: Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.