Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.
46034742

Hello : I am trying to decide on building my own desktop computer

Hello : I am trying to decide on building my own desktop computer with the kits that seem to be available from places like Tiger.com and others who supply everything but the labor to put together a unit.
Who has the faster motherboards these days? Intel or AMD?
Which memory supplier is more reliable aiming for at least 8 extra G of Ram?
Are the Digital Drives showing to be reliable?
Are Motherboard comparisons out there in a consumer or trade publication to compare their reliability?
Any other opinions, or hands-on experience to support answers would be apprciated, as well as alternate suppliers of DIY kits..
Category: Computer
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.Smile First let's start with motherboards. If you are on a certain budget and want to build fast and gaming AMD motherboards are great for that. Intel motherboards are also fast and reliable. Honestly it depends on what you are building and what you are wanting it to do. To be honest in my opinion Both AMD and Intel are very reliable. As far as faster motherboards You would want to go with Bio start, Gigabyte, MSI. I would recommend staying away from Acer and Asus products I don't hear a lot of good things with there motherboards.
Corsair Vegence and PNY seem to be great memory manufacturing companies. Corsair is mostly for performance, speed and gaming where is PNY is more on the affordable and budget course if you know what I mean.Smile
AMD's processors offer more bang/buck from the low-end to midrange. That's to say if you have a specific amount of money you can spend on a CPU such as $75, $100 or $160, you'll get a better performing CPU by going with AMD instead of Intel for the same price. But at the highest end, Intel's CPUs are better. The top Core i7 processors are better than the best Phenom II processors. However, they cost a lot more.

With AMD you can get 90% of the performance for 60% of the price. Intel has the most powerful CPUs which run cooler and use less power, provided you're willing to pay a bit more.

Here is a list of memory manufacturers that have been proven to be great: http://www.buy-a-new-computer.com/buy-computer-memory/computer-memory-manufacturers/

The best places as far as computer building hardware would be newegg.com, tigerdirect.com and sometimes amazon. Would actually be your best bet.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please click on the smiley face if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you. Clicking the smiley face does not add additional costs and only by you choosing the smiley face am I compensated. Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The only thing missing is the question on Digital Drives....Are these proving to be reliable and fast...or are they giving up something by being digital.?

Can you be a little more specific when you say digital drives please?Smile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I can't as I have had to replace both a IDE and Sata drive recently, but I see Digital Hard drives being advertised but know very little about them ....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I guess the correct term is solid state drive...and not as I have used the term Digital

Not a problem. Yes a solid state hard drive is reliable as far as fast data access and extremely fast bootup. However I would highly suggest using the SSD to store your operating system and daily applications on. If you use it as a regular hard drive with constant read and writing and deleting it can reduce the life to 40 years it is flash memory after all. I would advise using a second hard drive sata for your important data storage. I will answer that question this way yes they are reliable as far as speed and performance I would still highly suggest a second hard drive to backup and date storage.Wink

Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience: 2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.